Weird wind screen

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
FLC
FLC

Weird wind screen

Ferrari were using a weird wind screen thing in Malaysia. Can someone explain please how is it better than the regualr one, without the holes in it, i havent noticed any other team using something similar.

m3_lover

Maybe to feed air into the cockpit or the driver so he cools down during the race?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

scarbs
scarbs

Exactly, Ferrari have run this screen at hot races for several years.

Jason

scarbs wrote:Exactly, Ferrari have run this screen at hot races for several years.
Trying to keep the driver cool, how your suspecting to drive in a head stuck in the helmet with 60 celcius? :roll:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

m3_lover

They have the water bottle to give them water, and I believe they have a mini vent on the front of there helmets in the area of the mouth, to cool there heads, as all the other parts are to cool there body. With all the vibrations in the car, they need make sure no cramping in there body hence the pyscho-therapists (sp?) after/before the race.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Jason

Re: Weird wind screen

FLC wrote:Ferrari were using a weird wind screen thing in Malaysia. Can someone explain please how is it better than the regualr one, without the holes in it, i havent noticed any other team using something similar.

Hang on, did someone notice there is a black thing below Schuey's visor? :shock:

FLC
FLC

yeah, i've noticed that too. i think its there so he can pull it down without touching it with his hands and making it finger dirty. cant think of something else...

Jason

FLC wrote:yeah, i've noticed that too. i think its there so he can pull it down without touching it with his hands and making it finger dirty. cant think of something else...
It's not going ot make the visor very dirty since the driver is wearing gloves.

FLC
FLC

yes, but i guess the gloves get dirty... the cockpit cant be that clean. they reach their hands to shifts and levers down inside. maybe thats exactly it, preventing oil stains and stuff like that. maybe someone else has another explanation?

manchild
manchild

To me it looks like some sort of visor safety fastener because there on the lower part of helmet is another black thingy where this upper thingy might be secured.

scarbs
scarbs

It’s a clip to hold the visor closed,
With the cockpit padding now so wide, the usual method of a clip on one side of the helmet makes it hard for the driver to open the visor. Plus either hand can open the visor.