Paul Dana Died

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
m3_lover

Paul Dana Died

Paul Dana died today in a IRL race

The website shows the video of the accident pretty horrific.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/stor ... id=2384873
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

RIP

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

So sad. Another sad day for racing.
I can ony mourn for his family and loved ones, so sad.

Carbon
Carbon

Rest in Peace, Dana.

While I'm appreciative of the information ESPN has offered the public with the video clip of the horrific accident, I really think the coverage is in bad taste, and does not respect the deceased family. Sorry, just my opinion.

bhall
bhall

Where was his spotter?

Jason

RIP Dana.... :cry:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Scuderia_Russ

:cry: Great shame. Have just found this on the whole incident. Seems a little harsh but it's not until things like this happen that questions are usually asked.

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/22748/

Tom

In more sad new, the WRC saw the death of co driver Jorg Bamstruck.

Thankfully F1 seem to have got safety priorities right over spectacular crashes.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

schumiGO

31 years... RIP

weisler
weisler

Scuderia_Russ wrote::cry: Great shame. Have just found this on the whole incident. Seems a little harsh but it's not until things like this happen that questions are usually asked.

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/22748/
it is harsh, but at the same time it is very true. thats the current situation of racing in america, and the rest of the world for that matter.

if you follow the IRL at all, you know that Ed Carpenter, the guy who spun and was hit by Dana, is the step son of Tony George. Tony created a new team just to give him a race seat after he was fired by Eddie Cheever. He's another perfect example of money getting you where you might not belong. just think of how many cars Carpenter has wrecked in the last few years...

Tom

I don't think its entirely fair to blame one man.

Even in such an horrific incident, no one should have died.
Something must be done to make those cars safer!

I completly agree that its horrible that people must die before anything is done, however it is far worse if nothing is done at all.

F1 has certainly learnt from 1st May 1994. The FIA are always upgrading safety, and, although we often don't like to see the cars held back, it is far better than the seriouse injuries and fatalities that were tragically saw commonplace only a decade ago.

IRL and CART must do much more to protect drivers, fans and officials, even if it means reducing the spectacle.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

jgredline

This accident should not have happened. This very same thing could happen in Formula 1 when people can purchase thier rides. There was a time when no matter how much money one had, he still had to earn his way to the top ranks of motorsports be it Formula 1, CART, or the IRL.

Reading some commentaries from other race drivers in the IRL it came down to this.
Its appointed onto man once to die ad only the man upstairs knows that.
When its your time its your time.

I would like to send my condolences to his family and pray that they will recieve a peace that surpasses all understanding.
To finish first, first you must finish.

dumrick
dumrick

In IRL they have spotters giving the guys information on what's going on on track and the yellow lights system worked.
It was just an unfortunate event, those happen in motor racing. And of course ovals are more dangerous than a modern road circuit...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I really feel for Dana's wife and family, this nice young man no longer with us.
But we must never be so arrogant to blieve that technology and rules will keep drivers safe and alive. It is, sadly, an ever moving target. We try to anticipate problems, and alter the technology and rules to make things safer. Every so often a tragedy like this happens, when a fine young person perishes in a racing accident. We study the contributing factors, learn, and hopefully apply those lessons so that it never repeats itself. That is how motor safety progresses. Painful step by painful step.
It appears that most agree that this fine young man was involved in something he may not have been ready for, that his experience level wasn't appropriate for the speeds and risk. He worked very hard to get there, worked hard to bring sponsorship money along with him, to expedite his rationale for being there. And it raises the big question about drivers who buy seats in racing cars. Not that they are incompetent or bad people, but whether they are honestly worthy of being involved at such a high level of competition. I hope and pray, very sincerely, that we learn, and I hope we never reopen this kind of discussion with people mentioned like Sato.

Jason

How about that, I saw how the incident happen on TV at 8:00pm(my countrys time) on news, how horrifying
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW