Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Silly season 2016

If HAAS is smart, they'll get Kevin.

He's got Mclaren career on his resume and recent Mclaren intel - as far as a (reserve) driver can get.
He's definately got some skill and talent, not big talent, but wihout doubt bigger talent than Guiterrez.
Paired with Grosjean i'd say that's a decent combo for HAAS.

Guiterrez only has 1 thing to offer imho; being part of the Ferrari - family. With a Ferrari engine in the back,
that's not a bad thing. Then again, neither Sauber drivers are part of Ferrari so it's not paramount.

Experienced drivers arent neccesarily a guarantee for 'success', just look at Lotus/Caterham at first.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

kptaylor
kptaylor

No, GUT has sponsorship $$, Kevin does not. I'd still love for them to pair Vergne with Grojean, but it'll likely be GUT. Kevin & Vergne may be up for Lotus though.

Racer X

Magnusen won't go to HAAS they will go for a driver with a Ferrari background on a count of all the Ferrari ties..

I'm not sure it will be Gutierrez but I do belive it will be a Ferrari Driver..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Joseki
Joseki

I hope K-Mag gets a decent seat in F1, Lotus or HAAS, or maybe in IndyCar.

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

I was thinking...is HAAS really opposed to having Rossi? I remember they said they wouldn't have an American driver because none of them had experience. But now that Rossi will have some races under his belt by the end of the year, is he a possible 2nd driver?
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

Racer X

I can see that happening Rossi as a 2nd driver you don't need two guys with top level capabilities. Not in a small team like HAAS you can opt out for what ever you want in the second driver with such a great 1st driver. But I still think it will be a Ferrari driver.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

adrianjordan

I thought Rossi was a Ferrari driver?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ME4ME

At most it's possible he owns one :)

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

djos wrote: Tbh I think some Europeans just don't like to see an Aussie clearly doing the better job overall (bit like last year, Seb even had the good grace to admit he was beaten fair and square).
I think Seb had an eye on his exit clause and dragged his feet and could of had a decent race with Ricciardo.

He could never come out and admit that because that could be construed as acting against the interests of the team.

djos

graham.reeds wrote:
djos wrote: Tbh I think some Europeans just don't like to see an Aussie clearly doing the better job overall (bit like last year, Seb even had the good grace to admit he was beaten fair and square).
I think Seb had an eye on his exit clause and dragged his feet and could of had a decent race with Ricciardo.

He could never come out and admit that because that could be construed as acting against the interests of the team.

I doubt it, I just think he had a learning year as he got used to driving a car without an EBD - he's been very very impressive this year tho!
"In downforce we trust"

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

graham.reeds wrote:

Nah, he had a multitude of issues. A newborn at home, Schumachers injury, a required change in driving style and desperately bad luck. The car failed at the start of the Australian & Austrian races, failed in Monaco when in a podium position, failed in Spanish qualifying, and even in the two races that he could've scampered off and won - Spa & Hungary - he suffered a broken floor on the first lap and was caught in the lead pack by the safety car shuffling them down the grid.

iotar__

Jonnycraig wrote:
graham.reeds wrote:

Nah, he had a multitude of issues. A newborn at home, Schumachers injury, a required change in driving style and desperately bad luck. The car failed at the start of the Australian & Austrian races, failed in Monaco when in a podium position, failed in Spanish qualifying, and even in the two races that he could've scampered off and won - Spa & Hungary - he suffered a broken floor on the first lap and was caught in the lead pack by the safety car shuffling them down the grid.
- Lack of EBD is a very poor excuse. Who else had trouble adjusting, no one apart from 4 time WC? Ricciardo in his first season with a team no problems but for Vettel after what 5 years at RB it took the whole season and close 2nd best Ferrari to adjust?
- Luck - even worse. There's no contradiction you can be unlucky and still drive badly. Luck works both ways - having the second best car on many occasions is not unlucky at all. Minus engine issues RB '14 was still a great car, no excuses.
- Poor performance on purpose is laughable
- newborn and Schumacher is just bizarre grasping at straws territory.

He's the same driver as in '14 and so is Ricciardo. Competition, team mate, car and therefore costs of mistakes and poor performance are different, that's the whole secret.

Felipe 92

Jonnycraig wrote: he had a multitude of issues. A newborn at home, Schumachers injury and desperately bad luck.

He had a multitude of issues. A newborn at home, Schumachers injury, desperately bad luck, Miley`s new haircut, Ukrainian crisis, ISIS and Lisa Ann`s retirement.

Fixed that for you :lol:

eleventenths
eleventenths

djos wrote:
graham.reeds wrote:

I doubt it, I just think he had a learning year as he got used to driving a car without an EBD - he's been very very impressive this year tho!
Who wouldn't be with Kimi as a team-mate? Clearly in this engine dependent era were your team-mate is your primary rival, you are only as good as your team-mate can prevent you from being. Applies to all drivers up and down the grid.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Guess K-Mag may be in scope for Renault, too. Forgot about Saxo Bank being a sponsor. If Kevin can work with Saxo, would that increase his chances of getting a seat?