Helmet Aerodynamics

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
AyrtonInmortal

Helmet Aerodynamics

Are helmets designed to improve aerodynamic performance?. Helmets in IRL are not completely rounded. Is it the same in F1?
"Racing, competing is in my blood, is part of me, is part of my life."
Ayrton Senna.

manchild
manchild

In recent seasons the actual shape of helmets has gradually evolved, as more aerodynamically efficient shapes are brought into use. Sitting directly below the main engine air intake, helmets are increasingly shaped to assist in the process of reducing drag in this notoriously high-turbulence aerodynamic area. The modern designs also reduce the lift produced by more traditionally shaped helmets - which can be anything up to 15 kg at racing speeds.

The helmet design must also provide ventilation for the driver. This is achieved through the use of various small air intakes. To prevent small particles of track debris entering the helmet these intakes are equipped with special filters.

Despite the cutting edge materials used in their construction Formula One helmets are still painted by hand, an incredibly skilled job requiring hundreds of hours of work for more complicated patterns and designs. And most drivers will go through several helmets during the course of a season.

The FIA has currently commissioned work for the development of a next generation 'super helmet' for Formula One racing, intended to improve safety standards still further, especially in conjunction with the now mandatory use of the HANS (Head And Neck Support) system.

ginsu
ginsu

I like this style as well. The lip on the bottom edge functions as a splitter helping to keep the helmet secured to the drivers head. I'm sure you all remember (2003?) when Jenson had to drive with one hand on the wheel, the other holding his helmet down after one of his helmet straps had come loose during the race. His helmet was getting 'sucked' up and choking him. I believe this is due to the low pressure generated as the air follows the curvature of the helmet. A splitter creates a high pressure region that should cause a net downforce on the helmet. Jenson sits so high up in his seat he may want to think about these helmets.
I love to love Senna.

m3_lover

I thought the helmets direct the airflow up to the air intake as well becaue the back of the helmet has a little lip to it, which when they sit in there cockpit and are driving the lip is there so the air does not go down but up

http://www.maxiview2000.com/misc/imgs/sg070.jpg
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Although the helmet is considered part of the entire car's aero package, it's primary function, notwithstanding driver protection, is to be comfortable to the driver. It doesn't make sense to have the helmet deflect air, with, for example, 20 pounds of downforce because it would add more load to an already loaded driver's neck. As well, there are times when the driver may turn his head to the left or right. The driver is already fighting G-loads, vibration, and plain fatigue.

West
West

ginsu wrote:Image

I like this style as well. The lip on the bottom edge functions as a splitter helping to keep the helmet secured to the drivers head. I'm sure you all remember (2003?) when Jenson had to drive with one hand on the wheel, the other holding his helmet down after one of his helmet straps had come loose during the race. His helmet was getting 'sucked' up and choking him. I believe this is due to the low pressure generated as the air follows the curvature of the helmet. A splitter creates a high pressure region that should cause a net downforce on the helmet. Jenson sits so high up in his seat he may want to think about these helmets.
Hockenheim 2004.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

joseff

I thought Jenson already wears that?

http://www.in.gr/auto/interview/JensonB ... _11big.jpg

Steven
Owner

Not only Jenson, a certain Jacques Villeneuve had almost an identical helmet back in 1998 already, in that red Williams.