[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
AratzH

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Thank you soo much!
CAEdevice wrote:It sometimes happens the same to me (I have the suspect that is related to the internet connection or firewall).
Yes, the first time I was able to run it I got 5 or 6 windows firewall messages during the process, but I thought saying yes would fix it for the next test. Anyway I might try to run it with the firewall off, It actually runs reasonably fast (1.5h in the light mode, 4,5 on normal).

Can't wait to see the final results!
MVRC -> TF

etsmc
etsmc

for those that are interested I have tried to put together a bit of a blog of the results and development for my car.
it can be found at http://www.mercurymotorsport.wordpress.com
I am going to try and keep it up to date mainly so I can remember what changes I have made to the car, but also so people can see and make comment/suggestions if they wish.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

Some of your underside shots makes it look like your car is asymmetric from below.

machin

etsmc wrote:for those that are interested I have tried to put together a bit of a blog of the results and development for my car.
it can be found at http://www.mercurymotorsport.wordpress.com
Cool, I hope you sort out your cooling issues as I think it is great to see someone trying a front heat exchanger arrangement.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

AratzH

Looking into my old KVRC stuff I found an excel for COP calculation. Maybe it works for this year too:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0CP8 ... EFpNndDbkk

Regards,
MVRC -> TF

CAEdevice

Thanks I will try it later.

RicME85

Yeah it does.
That's the old way of working things out from back before OCCFD when we used Khamsin. Just have to dig out the figures from the forces file.

cdsavage
cdsavage

Sorry about the delay for round 1, there have been some big challenges with some of the simulations. Here are some provisional results with some teams missing:

Code: Select all

Type   Cd.A    Cl.A     CoP    Power    Time
                   Variante   F    1.70    7.91    1.668   100%    371.78
                 JJR racing   F    1.52    7.67    1.689   100%    372.66
                  CAEdevice   F    1.74    8.07    1.728   100%    373.01
                         TF   F    1.27    6.70    1.557   100%    377.05
                  HP-Racing   F    1.45    6.42    1.692   100%    378.52
           RicME Motorsport   I    1.26    4.37    1.688   100%    387.50
Competition Car Engineering   I    1.08    4.35    1.793   100%    388.33
                   Kineuton   F    1.34    6.42    1.020   100%    389.34
       Machin's Shiny Melon   I    1.06    4.00    1.855   100%    390.73

RicME85

Round 1 goes to me :P
Very close despite different approaches to the allowed areas of the car. Im going to have to put some work in to make sure I keep the advantage over Machin ;)
Interesting to see MSM has 100% power running the 'restrictors' that Machin had on his car in the pre-season race as looking back at the results he only had 85% power. I assume they were enlarged slightly to block the flow between the wheel fairing and the sidepod to force the air to choose the sidepod intake?
Quite a gap between KVRC1 and KVRC2 this race, wonder if we can whittle that down over the season or if the big guns will out develop us seeing as we have a smaller area to work with.

CAEdevice

Thank you Chris. What happened to Mantium? He said he had cooling issues but he is not present at all.

Congratulations to Variante, JJR and TF: impressive how the laptime is similar in such a long circuit as Nurburgring and with different design shapes. I am happy for my 3rd place (if confirmed), but the distance from Variante and JJR is so small that I can't stop thinking about a way too improve (but I don't have any idea since the car has been already optimized).

Congratulations to RicME too for his victory in the intro class.

machin

RicME85 wrote:Round 1 goes to me :P
Yes, well done; I was too conservative with the front end, as I wanted to make sure I had 100% power... I obviously went over the top as I ended up with loads of pressure...

When you look at CAEDevices car I don't think there is anything stopping an introductory class car using a similar front end... Although I would be a little concerned the cooling might not work... The Main class can simply enlarge the inlets to solve a cooling deficit, whereas we must be a little more cunning with the front end air flow (that is not a complaint; it is the same for all Intro class competitors, so is fair for everyone).

Presumably all the cars which showed a cooling problem are being re-run, which is why everyone in the provisional results has 100% power...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Alonso Fan

Oh no, bad news for me then :( I thought I'd have good cooling with those massive inlets
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
RicME85 wrote:When you look at CAEDevices car I don't think there is anything stopping an introductory class car using a similar front end... Although I would be a little concerned the cooling might not work... The Main class can simply enlarge the inlets to solve a cooling deficit
I generally agree, but in my case I would prefer to reduce the inlets area: 50000mm2 per inlet is much more that enough even for a pressure differential that is higher than 2017 requirements.

cdsavage
cdsavage

machin wrote:Presumably all the cars which showed a cooling problem are being re-run, which is why everyone in the provisional results has 100% power...
There have been a couple of independent problems, but one is that some entries have been showing small regions of extreme high or low pressure around the inlets or outlets - I think this happened occasionally in 2015, but since we're now directly tying the inlet/outlet face pressure to the engine power, this has a much greater effect on the results. Julien has tried re-running some of these simulations with some different settings but we might not be able to get a realistic set of results, unless we ignore the inlets and outlet aspect completely (and assume 100% power), which would be a bit unfair for everyone else if that entry would have actually missed the pressure target.

Alonso Fan

Is the problem arising due to the geometry we submitted or is it a flaw in the cfd simulation?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa