2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
radosav
radosav

Re: 2017-2020 Aerodynamic Technical Regulations

I think that there was enough overtaking this season, Australia was specificirati track.

radosav
radosav

Does ferrari have right to veto these aero changes formula next year?

jjn9128

radosav wrote:
01 May 2018, 13:26
Does ferrari have right to veto these aero changes formula next year?
If they can prove it's damaging to their brand. I'm not sure even they can argue that though...
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

gdogg371
gdogg371

Re the 2019 aero changes, around 1992 and until they were banned post Imola 1994, the front wings had trailing sections that channeled air inside the front wheels and under the floor. Are they likely to make an appearance, or have we not had specific enough guidance yet to be sure?

Another thing that got the chop post Imola 1994 was the massive diffusers everyone was running. To keep on plan with making the cars even faster, yet with more ability to follow in close quarters, could the following not be considered?

1) Simplified front wing, with air channeled inside front wheels (possibly using trailing sections, as described above).
2) Deeper and wider rear wing (i'd also like to see them go back to the 1000mm rear wing heights they ran up to the end of 1992 - purely for aesthetic reasons).
3) A larger and more complex rear diffuser (possibly incorporating the double diffuser concept of the late noughties) , to generate more 'clean' down force.
4) Bring back blown diffusers , to further enhance point number three.

Would that not be a cheaper and less radical alternative than going down a semi ground effect route to produce clean down force?

Keen to hear people's thoughts. I'm no aerodynamicist, just an interested observer.

jh199

A good drawing from @ScarbsTech demonstrating the new aero

I get that this will help cut the outwash from these cars but isn't upwash the real issue? With a larger rear wing, I can't help but think the upwash will become more of an issue. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the y250 area the sensitive part of the front wing, the part that affects the rest of the car? With less outwash from the wing, wouldn't this vortex need to be even more powerful than before and thus more sensitive?

I do think the wider rear wing looks great though! :D

adrianjordan

gdogg371 wrote:
01 May 2018, 13:54
Re the 2019 aero changes, around 1992 and until they were banned post Imola 1994, the front wings had trailing sections that channeled air inside the front wheels and under the floor. Are they likely to make an appearance, or have we not had specific enough guidance yet to be sure?

Another thing that got the chop post Imola 1994 was the massive diffusers everyone was running. To keep on plan with making the cars even faster, yet with more ability to follow in close quarters, could the following not be considered?

1) Simplified front wing, with air channeled inside front wheels (possibly using trailing sections, as described above).
2) Deeper and wider rear wing (i'd also like to see them go back to the 1000mm rear wing heights they ran up to the end of 1992 - purely for aesthetic reasons).
3) A larger and more complex rear diffuser (possibly incorporating the double diffuser concept of the late noughties) , to generate more 'clean' down force.

Would that not be a cheaper and less radical alternative than going down a semi ground effect route to produce clean down force?

Keen to hear people's thoughts. I'm no aerodynamicist, just an interested observer.
I may be wrong, but I thought the double defusers created more disturbed air behind the car causing more problems for following cars?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

jjn9128

gdogg371 wrote:

Those front wing extensions were a really efficient way of channelling the front wing tip and lower tyre vortex system outboard of the car. If I were in charge they would be on the cars again. That said the key rule which made them viable was that the front wing endplates were only 25mm above the reference plane (the bottom of the car as defined by the rules). Mid 1994 that was increase to 50mm - currently it's 75mm.

I think the underbody being a "clean" source of downforce is a misunderstanding which is repeated a lot so it's understandable. Diffusers generate tip vortices like a wing, so they produce induced drag more underbody downforce = stronger tip vortices; also the harder you work the floor the more viscous drag you get. So the only real benefit of a big floor and skinny wings is reducing the overall blockage of the car - but you end up with more wake near the ground. Ironically this is worse for another car as the ground reacts the force of the car and cancels up-wash which means the wake hangs around rather than being cleared. See Indycar - they have underbody tunnels but also a massive rear wing - which creates up draft to clear the wake upwards.

If you look at the shape of the 1994 diffusers they're all convex when viewed from below, i.e. they have a continuous curvature upwards. This shape is inherently more efficient than the modern diffusers which inflect along the length in a sort of bell shaped curve. So merging a 1994 and 2018 diffuser shape and rules could be better for following. Blown diffusers and double diffusers are definitely the wrong way to go.

^sorry for another long post. This is me trying to be concise :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

gdogg371
gdogg371

jjn9128 wrote:
01 May 2018, 14:44
gdogg371 wrote:

Those front wing extensions were a really efficient way of channelling the front wing tip and lower tyre vortex system outboard of the car. If I were in charge they would be on the cars again. That said the key rule which made them viable was that the front wing endplates were only 25mm above the reference plane (the bottom of the car as defined by the rules). Mid 1994 that was increase to 50mm - currently it's 75mm.

I think the underbody being a "clean" source of downforce is a misunderstanding which is repeated a lot so it's understandable. Diffusers generate tip vortices like a wing, so they produce induced drag more underbody downforce = stronger tip vortices; also the harder you work the floor the more viscous drag you get. So the only real benefit of a big floor and skinny wings is reducing the overall blockage of the car - but you end up with more wake near the ground. Ironically this is worse for another car as the ground reacts the force of the car and cancels up-wash which means the wake hangs around rather than being cleared. See Indycar - they have underbody tunnels but also a massive rear wing - which creates up draft to clear the wake upwards.

If you look at the shape of the 1994 diffusers they're all convex when viewed from below, i.e. they have a continuous curvature upwards. This shape is inherently more efficient than the modern diffusers which inflect along the length in a sort of bell shaped curve. So merging a 1994 and 2018 diffuser shape and rules could be better for following. Blown diffusers and double diffusers are definitely the wrong way to go.

^sorry for another long post. This is me trying to be concise :lol:
No need to apologise, was a very informative post. Those wider rear wings have got a very 1986 sort of look about them. I keep thinking of the Mclaren-TAG when I see the new proposed dimensions. So, if blown diffusers are out, but possibly something more akin to what we had in the early 90's is possible, could that when combined with a bigger rear wing and the trailing sections of the front wings be enough to offset the down force that could be lost with a more simplistic front wing?

Sevach
Sevach

CriXus wrote:
01 May 2018, 10:15
  • Simplified front wing, with a larger span, and low outwash potential
  • Simplified front brake duct with no winglets
  • Wider and deeper rear wing
Wider with less outwash? How does that work? Mandated endplate maybe?
I thought they were going to make wings narrower and giving stricter rules to endplates, cascades, R-vanes...

I wish they would say the what the rules are and not be so general.

jjn9128

gdogg371 wrote:
01 May 2018, 15:35
No need to apologise, was a very informative post. Those wider rear wings have got a very 1986 sort of look about them. I keep thinking of the Mclaren-TAG when I see the new proposed dimensions. So, if blown diffusers are out, but possibly something more akin to what we had in the early 90's is possible, could that when combined with a bigger rear wing and the trailing sections of the front wings be enough to offset the down force that could be lost with a more simplistic front wing?
Where those wing endplate extensions had the advantage over a modern endplate solution is that it is a physical barrier which will still work even in disturbed air. Whereas now they're using the air to create these complex vortex flows - to do that requires a static pressure difference (high pressure air travels to low pressure regions) to twist the air into a vortex. The main issue of a wake is dynamic pressure deficit, which squeezes the surface static pressure on the trailing car - a smaller difference of pressure vs suction means a weaker vortex. A modern front wing endplate is generating 10's of vortices each with a specific purpose in clean air - each of these vortices becomes weaker in the wake - hence the issue with the front wings.

I'm not entirely sure why they're suggesting a wider rear wing. The deeper rear wing makes sense in that more drag is created, so when the flap opens with DRS the effect on total drag is greater - more overspeed = more overtakes. The wider wing is odd... perhaps it's to reduce tip vorticity a bit (higher aspect ratios are more efficient, but the difference isn't going to be all that big).

It's really difficult to know what the ultimate effect will be without testing - which is why the FIA allowed teams the chance to go over their resource limit in CFD to trial the proposed concepts. This for me is a really long topic, one which is almost impossible to summarize - I wrote a 250 page PhD thesis about it and there's more I've learned/understood since!
#aerogandalf

CriXus
CriXus

Sevach wrote:
01 May 2018, 15:47
CriXus wrote:
01 May 2018, 10:15
  • Simplified front wing, with a larger span, and low outwash potential
  • Simplified front brake duct with no winglets
  • Wider and deeper rear wing
I thought they were going to make wings narrower and giving stricter rules to endplates, cascades, R-vanes...

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

jjn9128

Eugh that was painful to watch. It's obvious he is neither an aerodynamicist or a journalist.
Sevach wrote:
01 May 2018, 15:47

Aerodynamically the wider wing means outwash endplates are less essential. The endplate, as it were, is mandated as a minimum projected area (looking at the side of the car) between 2 lines a certain distance from the centreline. So if they squeeze those lines together the teams can no longer camber the endplate.
#aerogandalf

OO7
OO7

gdogg371 wrote:

I agree with some of what you are saying gdogg371, but just a note, the rear wing was never 1000mm tall because it was measured from the ground rather than the reference plane back then, so ride height and rake had to be accounted for. You'd think that during the active suspension years they'd exploit this, but I don't think they really did.

paddyf1
paddyf1

Why on earth are they making the front wing even bigger? Why dont they make it narrower and have it run under the nose to get rid of the y250?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Why not just mandate the front wing as a whole unit? They've gone part of the way with the defined central section so it's no great change in philosophy to do the whole wing. If they leave the teams any leeway on the front wing, they will find a way to go back down the route they are currently on.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.