Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
namao
namao

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

This rumour was published in 2013...

http://f1-worldwide.com/2013/12/17/rumo ... e-samsung/

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

All good stuff but it's for the team thread, not hardware/development?

Joseki
Joseki

Gridlock

Korean title sponsor, Japanese engine supplier? Hmm.

superdowg316

I know it's off topic for this thread but, interesting how the date at the bottom of the black box translated says "21 Febuary 2016 Barcelona". Only McLaren are showing off the MP4-31 that day and Ron Dennis has always stated that he wouldn't drop sponsor prices because he was a "premium team like Manchester United", but Chelsea is also a premium team so to speak and you would imagine Samsung were paying a lot to have their name across the kit, so I wouldn't bet past that they have a lot of change lying around. Plus, IF the deal were a possibility and could go ahead, what's to say that Honda may get a deal out of it for Samsung to provide electrical help/components to future cars? It seems preposterous to say the least, but it's the most likely thing McLaren are going to get to a title sponsor in the meantime. Feb 21 is going to be interesting to say the least.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Joseki
Joseki

Where is the black box?

Wazari

Joseki wrote:Where is the black box?
http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/

It's interesting, Samsung used to have a phone called McLaren and Samsung recruited (stole) a key executive from McLaren back in 2014.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

cramr
cramr

Keep in mind that those dates 22-25 Feb. there is in Barcelona the Mobile World Congress where is probable that Samsung presents the new phone. Nothing to do with McLaren
https://www.mobileworldcongress.com/

Thunder

The Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2016 is in Barelona from Feb. 22 - 25. And this is where Samsung usually introduces their new Phones. Wouldn't be unlikely to make a special Presentation just for the new Flagship Phone one Day earlier to have full attention from the Media.

So i wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Winter Testing being at the same Time to the MWC is pure coincidence. Could be McLaren related, but i think there is a higher Chance it isn't.

Edit: Too late..... :cry:
Last edited by Thunder on 10 Feb 2016, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

cramr
cramr

Thunders wrote:The Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2016 is in Barelona from Feb. 22 - 25. And this is where Samsung usually introduces their new Phones. Wouldn't be unlikely to make a special Presentation just for the new Flagship Phone one Day earlier to have full attention from the Media.

So i wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Winter Testing being at the same Time to the MWC is pure coincidence. Could be McLaren related, but i think there is a higher Chance it isn't.
Haven't realise that were the exact same days.... I guess it will be hard to get Hotel in Barcelona those days (and not cheap) :shock:

superdowg316

cramr wrote:Keep in mind that those dates 22-25 Feb. there is in Barcelona the Mobile World Congress where is probable that Samsung presents the new phone. Nothing to do with McLaren
Yes, the Mobile World Congress takes place from 22-25 of Feb. But the Galaxy is being shown on the 21st. Why would they show their brand new phone, a big deal after all since they're one of the biggest mobile companies in the world, the day before the congress where most of the industry insiders, press coverage and big announcements/unveilings are? And why do it the same day a world renown Formula One team, which they were already linked to sponsoring a few years ago, would release their new car?

It could be just a coincidence, I won't hold my breath yet. But in terms of publicity winners, the next Galaxy being shown alongside a Galaxy branded MP4-31 and announcement of title sponsorship, that would have to take the cake. Better than what McLaren did with the Spice Girls even! :lol:

tis
tis

superdowg316 wrote:
cramr wrote:Keep in mind that those dates 22-25 Feb. there is in Barcelona the Mobile World Congress where is probable that Samsung presents the new phone. Nothing to do with McLaren
Yes, the Mobile World Congress takes place from 22-25 of Feb. But the Galaxy is being shown on the 21st. Why would they show their brand new phone, a big deal after all since they're one of the biggest mobile companies in the world, the day before the congress where most of the industry insiders, press coverage and big announcements/unveilings are?:
Manufacturers regularly present their latest models just before MWC, Samsung did the EXACT same for the S5 in 2014 and the S6 in 2015...

Thunder

Like i said they do this to get full attention from the Media. One day later they would have to share the News with HTC, Sony....

Bethesda did the same thing with the Fallout 4 Anonuncment at last Years E3. And Boom, the whole rest of the E3 was overshadowed by it. It's just Marketing.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

superdowg316

tis wrote:
superdowg316 wrote:
Yes, the Mobile World Congress takes place from 22-25 of Feb. But the Galaxy is being shown on the 21st. Why would they show their brand new phone, a big deal after all since they're one of the biggest mobile companies in the world, the day before the congress where most of the industry insiders, press coverage and big announcements/unveilings are?:
Manufacturers regularly present their latest models just before MWC, Samsung did the EXACT same for the S5 in 2014 and the S6 in 2015...
.....a man can dream you know :cry: I can't stand another year of sponsors pulling out, because even with the automotive side the team's performance will hurt even more without big money.

michl420
michl420

The only rule change this year (on the chassis side) is a new cockpit rim test (technical regulation 18.5). The load increases from 15 kn to 50 kn. I am interested how or if this area will change, because it is practically only a thin carbon plate. What do you guys think?