Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
pgfpro

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

SmartPlug is a self-contained ignition system that may be retrofitted to existing spark-ignition and compression-ignition engines. The technology behind the SmartPlug is a pre-chamber containing a catalytic heating element, where ignition starts. A small amount of fuel-air mixture enters the area, where it is ignited by a tiny, heated wire or glow plug. This process is very similar to that of a diesel cycle. However, unlike the diesel cycle, the SmartPlug does not require heavy compression for its glow plug to set off combustion. The SmartPlug needs as little as six watts of power for warm-up, and requires no electricity at all when the engine is running. Unlike traditional spark plugs, once the SmartPlug ignites the engine, and the engine heats up, the power supply for the plug is no longer necessary. The SmartPlug becomes self-sustaining.

Advantages of the SmartPlug ignition system are numerous. Unlike traditional ignition systems the SmartPlug system requires no distributor, coil points, or moving parts. This revolutionary system, which has the ability to ignite a variety of fuels, requires no modification to the existing engine. SmartPlugs are non-fouling, with a faster and cleaner burn than traditional spark plugs. They prevent detonation and are not sensitive to moisture, allowing them to be used on a variety of engines. Other advantages include no electrical noise, no high voltage, exceptionally high altitude capabilities, and better cold-start statistics than those of standard spark ignition systems.

I have seen them test these plugs on a lot of different aircraft, automobiles. They control ignition based on the catalytic heating elements length and size.
building the perfect beast

ringo

Sound difficult to monitor and control.
I guess once you size it for a certain characteristic, you must change it for a different combustion strategy.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

It could be like a nuclear reactor where you withdraw the plug like a control rod to control timing... but meh.. more complication than regular spark plugs.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

Edis wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:They can also use a two stage injector. At lower pre-ignition pressures only the first pintle opens in the prechamber.. then at higher pressure the 2nd stage opens in the main chamber.

The prechamber would be annular in design. ??
You need to do the main injection first, and the injection into the pre-chamber just before ignition.

Since the injection into the pre-chamber will be done with the piston close to top dead center you could perhaps use an escape path from the pre-chamber into the main chamber for the main injection, and then block this path with the piston once it approaches top dead center and do the second injection to fill the pre-chamber.
Now moving into the realm of different paths and even moving parts inside the combustion chamber... Mark Hughes alluded to something like this in his latest article on engines but I am a bit skeptical of how reliable his information is sometimes.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

To save one of Hamilton's engines Mercedes is replacing the oil pumps. How can you damage the oil pumps and not the bearings?

Brian

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

hardingfv32 wrote:To save one of Hamilton's engines Mercedes is replacing the oil pumps. How can you damage the oil pumps and not the bearings?

Brian
Maybe the problem was one of the oil pumps' bearings? So it may still have been running, not but not for long...
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

hardingfv32 wrote:To save one of Hamilton's engines Mercedes is replacing the oil pumps. How can you damage the oil pumps and not the bearings?

Brian
Hi. Interesting. I guess there could theoretically be several failure modes which give pump concern but not engine bearing concern.?e.g. Vibration induced crack. Seal leak. Pump metrology indication outside limits but oil and filter analysis AOK. Etc. I'm just making these up but you get my drift.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Probably just the oil pressure not within pump tollerances anymore. Replaced for just to be sure. Imagin the pressure dropping any further and it will be bye bye engine.

toraabe
toraabe

separate circuits

silv
silv

gruntguru wrote:"Perforated Thimble" sounds like Mahle Jet Ignition. http://www.mahle-powertrain.com/en/mahl ... /index.jsp

There is a fair bit of academic literature on the concept if you search for William Attard. He and Prof Harry Watson researched this concept at University of Melbourne. Attard now works for Mahle and where he has published further on the subject.

I am curious as to how Mercedes have done this (if true) as the Mahle system uses two injectors (not permitted in F1.)

It would be possible to have one hole of the DI directed towards the "thimble" to generate the rich mixture there. Or perhaps the DI is in the thimble with the spark plug and most of the fuel sprays align with holes in the thimble.
Professor Watson is the pioneer of this system from the University of Melbourne.

Dr. Attard (one of his past students) has made rapid gains with prechamber jet igniters over the past 10 years and is considered the jet ignition guru. Lots of his material is published on SAE.

http://profiles.sae.org/79515871493/

I remember one year at SAE him showing a video of an engine running with a jet igniter doing transient testing, the p-v diagram was ideal otto cycle. Never seen anything like it. No surprise it made it to F1.

gruntguru
gruntguru

silv wrote:Professor Watson is the pioneer of this system from the University of Melbourne.
Yes. It flows on from his previous research focus on hydrogen fuel and hydrogen assisted combustion.
je suis charlie

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Redbull can overtake Williams this year and even Torro Rosso can level them. This puzzels me.

1. Is the FW38 that bad?
2. Is the RE16/Tag Heuer that good?
3. Is the PU106 Hybrid delivered to Willams a bit restricted, compared to the ones Mercedes use themselfs?

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

From AMUS
"
Two tokens for new fuel system for Mercedes

While Ferraris Upgrading doing the rounds for a week, was Mercedes keep its development step so far secret. This was possible because Mercedes has it use any new drive units. Nico Rosberg continues the first engine, Lewis Hamilton second. The modifications relate to the fuel system and free two tokens.

Thus it is based on the time remaining until the season token 6:11 between Ferrari and Mercedes. While Mercedes customer team Williams, Force India and Manor immediately come to enjoy the change, Ferrari satellite team will have to wait a race. HaasF1 and Sauber obtained only at the GP Spain upgrade. A rule change requires manufacturers this year its customers promptly to provide them with new developments
"

wuzak
wuzak

LookBackTime wrote:From AMUS
"
Two tokens for new fuel system for Mercedes

While Ferraris Upgrading doing the rounds for a week, was Mercedes keep its development step so far secret. This was possible because Mercedes has it use any new drive units. Nico Rosberg continues the first engine, Lewis Hamilton second. The modifications relate to the fuel system and free two tokens.

Thus it is based on the time remaining until the season token 6:11 between Ferrari and Mercedes. While Mercedes customer team Williams, Force India and Manor immediately come to enjoy the change, Ferrari satellite team will have to wait a race. HaasF1 and Sauber obtained only at the GP Spain upgrade. A rule change requires manufacturers this year its customers promptly to provide them with new developments
"
I think Haas and Sauber will prefer to wait until Spain to keep their PU rotation schedule.