Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

They run them in the 120-130c area simply because it's more efficient, they've been running well over that 105*C figure for a long time.

Webber2011
Webber2011

Brian Coat wrote:Oops, I accidentally browsed to the Evans Patent Coolant Medicine Show review thread! :D
Well that would be my fault for starting the whole thing, but I'm really glad I did now.
When I joined this Forum I knew I had pretty much nothing to contribute, and to be honest not much has changed in that regard :lol:
You guys are light years ahead of me when it comes to the technical stuff.

My sole purpose here is to pick your brains and learn everything I can.
In the last couple of pages I've learnt a good deal more about coolants than I would have done on any other Forum I visit, so I tip my hat to you guys.

I was honestly led to believe the F1 Teams are using a waterless coolant, but you guys have some pretty good scientific evidence to suggest otherwise.
If anything, all that does is add to my confusion because I was convinced I was being told the truth #-o

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

No fault at all, as I see it.

I was a bit bored with how long the discussion was going on, hence my mischievous remark, but your original question was perfectly valid.

lio007

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

"FOM MIC" ... ???

crbassassin

Brian Coat wrote:"FOM MIC" ... ???
i guess so that you don't hear the sound of turbulence off the camera

Jolle
Jolle

crbassassin wrote:
Brian Coat wrote:"FOM MIC" ... ???
i guess so that you don't hear the sound of turbulence off the camera
And with that location, that's why you hear the skid plates so loud.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have several mics on the car to mix and cancel some noises.

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

It looked more like an air vent than a mic to me - if the latter, what's the inline filter cartridge all about?

I must admit, I don't actually know what the FOM mic looks like so I'm here to learn!

Jolle
Jolle

Brian Coat wrote:It looked more like an air vent than a mic to me - if the latter, what's the inline filter cartridge all about?

I must admit, I don't actually know what the FOM mic looks like so I'm here to learn!
Its not a filter but a small aluminium extruded case

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

Got it - thanks.
I think my eyesight must be going!

FW17

The battery and intercooler are debateable

PhillipM
PhillipM

Brian Coat wrote:Got it - thanks.
I think my eyesight must be going!
Not just you, it does look exactly like one of those inline filters until you look closer :lol:

RicME85

Re: RE: Re: Mercedes Power Unit

FW17 wrote:The battery and intercooler are debateable
It might be my drug addled state but I didn't see a battery. I saw the cables for connecting the energy store which looked in the correct place

skoop
skoop

Is there any Information on the amount of tokens Merc will spend for their next PU upgrade and what the changes will be?

godlameroso

skoop wrote:Is there any Information on the amount of tokens Merc will spend for their next PU upgrade and what the changes will be?
Are you really that eager for them to add an extra 50 hp? Seriously, I don't know what else they could add to the power unit that they haven't already. At this point it's about making small optimization, and realistically the only place they have left to upgrade is the ERS.

*edit: Most likely around the US gp.
Saishū kōnā