Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
holeindalip
holeindalip
17
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 am
Location: Decatur,IL USA

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

AR3-GP wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:02 pm
That is a truly hideous design by Mclaren.
Atleast rotate the compressor 180 degrees

sosic2121
sosic2121
13
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

holeindalip wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:09 am
AR3-GP wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:02 pm
That is a truly hideous design by Mclaren.
Atleast rotate the compressor 180 degrees
What could be the reason for this "masterpiece"?

holeindalip
holeindalip
17
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 am
Location: Decatur,IL USA

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

sosic2121 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:42 am
holeindalip wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:09 am
AR3-GP wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:02 pm
That is a truly hideous design by Mclaren.
Atleast rotate the compressor 180 degrees
What could be the reason for this "masterpiece"?
From the picture blackout posted if they rotated the compressor 180 degrees they would use less charge pipe…

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
71
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

holeindalip wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:09 am
AR3-GP wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:02 pm
That is a truly hideous design by Mclaren.
Atleast rotate the compressor 180 degrees
They probably cannot because the PU itself must be sold the same way to every customer team. Naturally it's designed for the Mercedes and Mclaren have to pick up the scraps to fit their own car. That's why works teams always have an advantage. The Merc PU is designed to optimally package inside the W13.

sosic2121
sosic2121
13
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

holeindalip wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:34 pm
sosic2121 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:42 am
holeindalip wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:09 am


Atleast rotate the compressor 180 degrees
What could be the reason for this "masterpiece"?
From the picture blackout posted if they rotated the compressor 180 degrees they would use less charge pipe…
I meant why they switched to air-air cooler.
I agree with your point about rotating the compressor :D

holeindalip
holeindalip
17
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 am
Location: Decatur,IL USA

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

sosic2121 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:31 pm
holeindalip wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:34 pm
sosic2121 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:42 am

What could be the reason for this "masterpiece"?
From the picture blackout posted if they rotated the compressor 180 degrees they would use less charge pipe…
I meant why they switched to air-air cooler.
I agree with your point about rotating the compressor :D
I don’t follow the installation of the mclaren very closely, did they have a water-air last year and switch to air-air this year?

sosic2121
sosic2121
13
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

holeindalip wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:20 pm
sosic2121 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:31 pm
holeindalip wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:34 pm


From the picture blackout posted if they rotated the compressor 180 degrees they would use less charge pipe…
I meant why they switched to air-air cooler.
I agree with your point about rotating the compressor :D
I don’t follow the installation of the mclaren very closely, did they have a water-air last year and switch to air-air this year?
All other mercedes powered teams have water-air (I think Williams used to use air-air while Merc used water).

User avatar
Blackout
1247
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

holeindalip wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:20 pm
sosic2121 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:31 pm
holeindalip wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:34 pm


From the picture blackout posted if they rotated the compressor 180 degrees they would use less charge pipe…
I meant why they switched to air-air cooler.
I agree with your point about rotating the compressor :D
I don’t follow the installation of the mclaren very closely, did they have a water-air last year and switch to air-air this year?
Mclaren uses 2 air-air intercoolers like this since 2018.
Williams and FI/RP/AM used a single air air intercooler from 2014 to 2021. So this is the first time they uses Mercs water-air intercooler.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
506
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Other Merc teams were always air to air. RedBull is too. It's lighter.

The photos of the Mercedes air to water intercoolr looks cramped. In prior year the compressor discharge faced downwards and the intercooler was said to be in front of the engine where it enjoyed much more space..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

User avatar
ringo
204
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

I think this year merc tries something of a size zero engine and they could be paying the price.
For Sure!!

Mansell89
Mansell89
9
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Do we know anything or any word on whether the final electrical upgrades that have to be submitted in September are able to move the Merc PU forward by much?

I’ve scoured around and can’t find much specifics so far.

User avatar
organic
150
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:24 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

ringo wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:30 am
I think this year merc tries something of a size zero engine and they could be paying the price.
Is there any evidence of that being the case?

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
506
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

organic wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:20 pm
ringo wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:30 am
I think this year merc tries something of a size zero engine and they could be paying the price.
Is there any evidence of that being the case?
Yes. The exhaust pipes bends have been moved behind the engine instead of being on the side.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

User avatar
vorticism
103
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:20 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Also their intake manifold box is different this year. Note length relative to cam cover. Consider also Merc may have prioritized durability whereas other teams may have prioritized taking grid penalties, in exchange for outright power.

Eryngii wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:40 am
Image
Source: https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/co ... 23883.html
Photographer: Mamoru Atsuta
OO7 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:02 am
Image

User avatar
vorticism
103
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:20 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

From the AMG One. Nice to finally see more details of these engines after eight years.

Image