2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KingHamilton01

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

isullivan wrote:McLaren-Honda should just focus on 2017 when the rules are set in stone and pull "a Brawn" on Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.
I think they will have to decide to do this at somepoint in the season anyway!
McLaren Mercedes

willmesquita

Matt_Pag wrote:Honestly I think that with the data we have from this week of testing it's not pessimistic to say that the team isn't in a good position... I was hoping for improvements but really still a lot of reliability problems, and the engine isn't running at full power yet... Which would probably cause even more problems I guess.. Yes it's still early to say much but the facts are that this hasn't been a great start at all imho.
They were 2nd worst, just few laps more than Manor. It was a shame.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Chene_Mostert

The McLaren-Honda partnership has the potential to end up like the McLaren-Peugeot partnership.
2016 is make or break for Honda.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

max_speed
max_speed

Chene_Mostert wrote:The McLaren-Honda partnership has the potential to end up like the McLaren-Peugeot partnership.
2016 is make or break for Honda.
i agree to it. they are hiding real problems behind "leaks".reports that engine is unreliable were true.you can run detuned engines for 1000 laps but it not get you anywhere except bottom of the grid.i was hoping that last 2 days they will focus on performance.we all are in for a boring season and come Melbourne mclaren will be occupying last 2 positions.

Alonsofor2017
Alonsofor2017

Honestly youd think that with the biggest engine manifacterer in the world and the second most successful f1 team together they'd be reasonably succesful, at least respectable with their money and know how
Ferrari where shocked that they spent one year in fourth and changed everything to get back up for McLaren to have 3 seasons lower than that surely should be a bigger drama then, they are in a big mess, can't speak to early for this season but if it is another bad one then I think theylle be big changes at mclaren

CjC
CjC

Well the guy from VW is coming in a few months
Just a fan's point of view

Vasconia

KingHamilton01 wrote:
isullivan wrote:McLaren-Honda should just focus on 2017 when the rules are set in stone and pull "a Brawn" on Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.
I think they will have to decide to do this at somepoint in the season anyway!
Who can do this when the rules for 2017 are still unclear?

It another failure is confirmed this season Honda should simply leave it next year. You cannot make another shitty PU after having detected the potential problems of the old one. Wha the hell have they done during Winter, and even during the second half of the last season?

mclaren111

Button:
jenson_ichibanWell the first two days of test 1 went well!! A lot learnt and a lot of new stuff coming for test 2. #JB22 #beliveinmclarenhonda #excitingtimes
What use is "lot of new stuff" if car is in garage all the time :( :(

Really HOPE they can fix most of their problems [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

max_speed
max_speed

But the Anglo-Japanese collaboration will return to action on Friday and Saturday, having booked the Circuit de Catalunya for exclusive ‘filming’ runs.

mclaren111

BBC's Benson:
Not only that, but McLaren appear to have made a step forward with what was already a pretty good chassis. Alonso and Button were both in the top-three fastest in the twisty final sector on the first two days.
Some good news :D :D

Andres125sx

vantage87 wrote:Reddit

http://oi67.tinypic.com/9zlnnk.jpg
This proves they´ve not tried a single fast lap yet, so nobody has a clue about 2016 Honda PU perfomance

Or anyone think 2016 PU will be slower than 2015 one? No way, they simply didn´t try it yet, they´ve been busy with aero tests

superdowg316

McLaren have one day were the car doesn't run and suddenly everyone's saying that the Honda engine's stuffed and that McLaren will be behind the Manors and everyone else in Melbourne. By that token, Ferrari also have reliability issues and Force India are title favourites for the laptime they did on Day 3.

Here's the important thing, and I know so as I've been inside motorsports: Lap times and how many laps cars do DOES NOT MATTER. The whole point of testing is trying something until it breaks or does something you want and getting a feel. Also important is every team is different. Mercedes are going for reliability and data collecting at the moment, which is why they're going so long each day. Sure, a fast laptime here and there is good, but it means nothing. Sauber were fastest in testing last year, the year before at the same circuit during mid season testing, Mac Chilton posted the fastest laptime of the whole day/testing session. McLaren are trying different things out on the engine to see what works and what doesn't and let's be fair, for a whole new engine layout after fixing it, their distance is very impressive . The car had a water leak and they probably knew they had test days so they didn't risk that engine because they still have a lot of track time, PLUS the new spec engine is coming next week and they'll use the data from the engine they ran this week and the engine next week and are combining it into one.

The only true indication of where McLaren or any other team for that matter is going to place in this years pecking order is when Qualifying starts on Saturday and the five red lights go out and it's go in Melbourne. Until then, every team is doing something different and our main focus should be seeing what McLaren are doing that's unique and any team news.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

FW17

Andres125sx wrote:
vantage87 wrote:Reddit

http://oi67.tinypic.com/9zlnnk.jpg
This proves they´ve not tried a single fast lap yet, so nobody has a clue about 2016 Honda PU perfomance

Or anyone think 2016 PU will be slower than 2015 one? No way, they simply didn´t try it yet, they´ve been busy with aero tests

They need not have made an engine that is slower, but even if they had fixed the 2015 engine to what it was meant to be it still would be slower than the other 3 engines.

That is what is happening at the moment, 2016 engine is a fix for the 2015 engine. While Ferrari and Merc moving forward and Renault delivering more drivability while preparing power upgrades, one wonders what Honda has in its hand for the second test. Do they have more horses or just fixes.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

As I've said (and ignored) a couple of times.....

Button said deployment is fixed
Third fastest in the technical section of the track behind two super-soft booted cars

You can only conclude that the engine is turned down for reliability because they needed track testing time for everything else and the last thing they need is a continually breaking engine. Ok, lost time at the end but stuff can happen anyway.

adrianjordan

I don't think Oz Quali will be when we see the true performance of this package. Personally I'm more interested in their performance once we get to the European leg of the season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️