2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FW17

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

[-o< MP4-2 =P~ HYPERCAR

Vasconia

fellowhoodlums wrote:As I've said (and ignored) a couple of times.....

Button said deployment is fixed
Third fastest in the technical section of the track behind two super-soft booted cars

You can only conclude that the engine is turned down for reliability because they needed track testing time for everything else and the last thing they need is a continually breaking engine. Ok, lost time at the end but stuff can happen anyway.
Nice but if the engine blows up all the time, it will not matter.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Testing will be all about the updated engine next week, pretty sure of that

FrukostScones

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

Arai PU laid to rest:

(not mine, found on autosport forum)

according to muhahahMARCA, australia GP is started with something really new (not even tested at second test. I a bit doubt that, but...):

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url
better late than never,
I hope they had the guts to bring th "rogue" PU or at least something that eliminated that flawed in-V compressor design.

whoop whoop!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Lucky
Lucky

McG

Man it makes me sick hearing all the pessimistic remarks. I was guilty of it back in 2015 but that was well founded.
Really hate the people who just jump in with their snide little remarks. If you support a different team and are coming in to demotivate McLaren fans, how about showing a bit of sportsmanship instead of being a brat?
F1 is dead.

Andres125sx

FW17 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
vantage87 wrote:Reddit

http://oi67.tinypic.com/9zlnnk.jpg
This proves they´ve not tried a single fast lap yet, so nobody has a clue about 2016 Honda PU perfomance

Or anyone think 2016 PU will be slower than 2015 one? No way, they simply didn´t try it yet, they´ve been busy with aero tests

They need not have made an engine that is slower
After first GP we´ll talk about this statement again :wink:

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

McG wrote:Man it makes me sick hearing all the pessimistic remarks. I was guilty of it back in 2015 but that was well founded.
Really hate the people who just jump in with their snide little remarks. If you support a different team and are coming in to demotivate McLaren fans, how about showing a bit of sportsmanship instead of being a brat?
Check out the HAAS thread as well...im not sure what it is about F1, but it seems the fans get more enjoyment out of putting other teams down than they do from their own teams success.

j2004p
j2004p

sgth0mas wrote:
McG wrote:Man it makes me sick hearing all the pessimistic remarks. I was guilty of it back in 2015 but that was well founded.
Check out the HAAS thread as well...im not sure what it is about F1, but it seems the fans get more enjoyment out of putting other teams down than they do from their own teams success.
I think it's just sports in general, it's easy to bash the opposition doing poorly to distract from your team also doing poorly.

At risk of a barrage, as a Man Utd fan I've put up with similar remarks from Liverpool supporting friends regarding form even though they're hardly revelling in glory.

Phil

superdowg316 wrote:Here's the important thing, and I know so as I've been inside motorsports: Lap times and how many laps cars do DOES NOT MATTER. The whole point of testing is trying something until it breaks or does something you want and getting a feel. Also important is every team is different. Mercedes are going for reliability and data collecting at the moment, which is why they're going so long each day. Sure, a fast laptime here and there is good, but it means nothing. Sauber were fastest in testing last year, the year before at the same circuit during mid season testing, Mac Chilton posted the fastest laptime of the whole day/testing session. McLaren are trying different things out on the engine to see what works and what doesn't and let's be fair, for a whole new engine layout after fixing it, their distance is very impressive .
I feel you're being a bit unfair to those being skeptical. Most (me included, I admit) are not pessimistic to a degree because they had trouble on one day - it's more because there are various little signs that are all too reminiscent of last year.

I generally agree with you, we certainly shouldn't write them off. But I think looking at how testing went, I think we can agree that things aren't looking that promising - or as promising as most of us would want to see after their struggles in 2015.

If we look at Mercedes running, now that is a team that is seemingly on top of things. They've had a flawless 2014 and 2015 and this test shows a team in control. Does that mean they'll be quickest? Hardly. But at the very least, they are as efficient as they can be, getting the absolute maximum out of what they obviously set out to achieve.

Testing is very limited. Ideally, you want to gather as much data as possible, as these are one of the rare opportunities to see the 'package' and all the components you've built over winter running. Yes, it's better to have problems in testing than when the season starts, but losing an entire day sitting in the garage while your rivals are out running is not what you'd want. You want to be outthere, seeing your components work and gathering data on how well they work and how that data correlates to the simulations you've been running.

A team with more problems tells me that things are not running the way they should. And that in itself is worrying and why I am skeptical at this point. I'm not expecting miracles and they are up against very strong opposition that had a working car last year and where this year for most is a mere "evolution" of an already very strong package. McLaren-Honda doesn't have that luxury and everything I've seen so far does not suggest to me that they are on top of their game yet.

I don't think looking at all those signs and naming them make me a pessimist. If they had a working competitive package last year, I'd be more confident, but they didn't. Which is why I'm less concerned when Ferrari has an off day with issues - because they did have a competitive package last year - a baseline that did work.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

j2004p wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:
I think it's just sports in general, it's easy to bash the opposition doing poorly to distract from your team also doing poorly.

At risk of a barrage, as a Man Utd fan I've put up with similar remarks from Liverpool supporting friends regarding form even though they're hardly revelling in glory.

Haha good point...you should try being a dallas cowboys fan.

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

I wonder if they had a "failure" in order to hide something.
Saishū kōnā

f1316
f1316

Vasconia wrote:
fellowhoodlums wrote:As I've said (and ignored) a couple of times.....

Button said deployment is fixed
Third fastest in the technical section of the track behind two super-soft booted cars

You can only conclude that the engine is turned down for reliability because they needed track testing time for everything else and the last thing they need is a continually breaking engine. Ok, lost time at the end but stuff can happen anyway.
Nice but if the engine blows up all the time, it will not matter.
You know, I'm sure they'd happily accept mechanical failure in half the gps if they were competitive. If McLaren were fast but fragile this year, they'd be over the moon.

ME4ME

f1316 wrote:You know, I'm sure they'd happily accept mechanical failure in half the gps if they were competitive. If McLaren were fast but fragile this year, they'd be over the moon.
That was exactly the situation in 2011/2012. It wasn't acceptable. Their lead driver left.

I'm sure the team would accept that for a while, especially after a terrible 2015 season, but fast&unreliable cannot be acceptable in the long run, especially for Honda. Enough engines have blown-up already.