2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nevill3

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

GoranF1 wrote:
Alexgtt wrote:So, what they have actually said is this was the new engine but just not "turned up" to max yet. When they say it's not full 2016 spec yet they refer to the car and all the aero .

Where did they said this?
They said this..
As for Honda, new motorsport boss Yusuke Hasegawa has confirmed the power unit has been homologated, and the spec on show this week will be the one that runs in Albert Park.
This was in an interview with EB Reported on many sites, including here...http://beta.autosport.com/news/report.p ... -australia
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

kaepernickus

Alexgtt wrote:So, what they have actually said is this was the new engine but just not "turned up" to max yet. When they say it's not full 2016 spec yet they refer to the car and all the aero .
There will be tweaks to the engine (on reliability grounds, so no tokens to spend) as well as well as software and mapping upgrades.
So, purely regarding tokens this will be the PU they will use in Australia

GoranF1
GoranF1

nevill3 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

They said this..
As for Honda, new motorsport boss Yusuke Hasegawa has confirmed the power unit has been homologated, and the spec on show this week will be the one that runs in Albert Park.
This was in an interview with EB Reported on many sites, including here...http://beta.autosport.com/news/report.p ... -australia
Yes, i read all this before...nowhere does it say PU was detuned..
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

siwillems
siwillems

It's just an idea. with so many conflicting statements being made it's a stab at making a best guess.
GoranF1 wrote:
nevill3 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
They said this..
Da de dum, de da da dum.
Da de dum, de da da duh!!!

Vasconia

I read somewhere that they detunned the PU in order to check several things of the engine and also to check the aero.

I also listened to Alonso saying that they were not pushing at all.

godlameroso

They could mean that they have a good foundation for an engine to develop now, whereas last years sump was a complete dead end. The times may not be completely representative because they may have been doing a lot of chassis evaluations. They may be a bit better come Melbourne, they definitely won't be as far back as time suggests, last year they were fighting for points with a car that was 160hp down.

Slightly OT, I have it on good word that 2016 is going to be big as far as battery technology is concerned, we're talking minimum 6-800 Wh/Kg batteries becoming standard, with a 2x increase in charge and discharge rates and cycle frequency.

*So that this makes sense, the Tesla S uses 300 Wh/Kg batteries, the top of the line S uses a 85 KW/h battery pack. Which means just the batteries in the pack weigh ~300kg. F1 batteries are probably around ~5KW/h seeing as how the packs weigh 20-25kg. If they can double the power per weight, it means we could see 10KW/h batteries which would have huge impacts on efficiency and performance of the battery.

**1KW/h = 3.7MJ, the ES is only allowed to harvest and deploy 4MJ/lap, but the efficiency of charging and discharging goes up the higher the capacity of the battery. A 10KW/h pack will be able to charge much faster and deploy much faster than a 5-6KW/h pack, for one it will be able to handle more voltage, which means less heat as well, among other things.
Last edited by godlameroso on 07 Mar 2016, 19:59, edited 3 times in total.
Saishū kōnā

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

GoranF1 wrote:
nevill3 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
They said this..

Yusuke/Autosport full article quote is actually:

"As for Honda, new motorsport boss Yusuke Hasegawa has confirmed the power unit has been homologated, and the spec on show this week will be the one that runs in Albert Park.

Echoing Boullier's comments on the chassis, Hasegawa said the engine is not yet at its full potential, but there is at least a more solid platform on which to build in comparison to a year ago.

"We have to improve our engine through the season, but as a starting point, I think it's a very good starting point," said Hasegawa."

OK, granted he didn't actually say it was turned down but I don't expect they ever ran a qualy map yet, for instance. What I read between the lines is that they will ramp up power as they develop the control/ecu/mapping with reliability through the year.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Alexgtt, i think you've got that exactly tight. Boullier eluded to mapping improvements.

McG

It definitely did say somewhere that it was detuned and they were focussing on aero and mapping. Think it was Twitter feed on f1today live testing. Could have been Honda or McLaren.
F1 is dead.

dot235
dot235

Guys, progress is always good, but let's be realistic.

Where exactly do you expect McLaren to land on the constructors?
Pretty much all the teams are looking to be strong this year with the exception of Manor and leaving Hass for the unknown. Renault is sorting their power problems fast. Or at least they make it appear like that.

I guess what I'am saying is, -0.7sec or so progress from last year might not be enough anymore to show any better results than last year.

GoranF1
GoranF1

The Mp4-30 did a lap of 1.25.2 on soft tires during 2015 testing in Barcelona
How much did that car progressed trough out 2015 from testing until Abu Dhabi?
1 second is quite conservative number i would say.
In 2016 they did a 1.24.7 on soft tyre.
So in my opinion either there is quite alot of speed in the bag or they are slower than Mp4-30 from the end of 2015.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

They did a 1:27.7 in qualifying last year on medium rubber. It would have been a 1:26.5 with the soft rubber like they'll use this year, but who knows, maybe Mercedes can dip into the 23's this year. Honda managed to do Mercedes qualifying time of last year but on softer rubber, they're still down a second, maybe more if Mercedes improved another half second or so.
Saishū kōnā

McG

Of course McLaren are slower than Mercedes but so is everyone else. Realistically it would be nice to be fighting in the midfield and then hopefully progress during the season.

I think there will be 1 or 2 teams other than Manor and Haas that McLaren will be surprisingly faster than. Probably Sauber and STR.
F1 is dead.

donskar
donskar

dot235 wrote:Guys, progress is always good, but let's be realistic.

Pretty much all the teams are looking to be strong this year with the exception of Manor and leaving Hass for the unknown. Renault is sorting their power problems fast. Or at least they make it appear like that.

I guess what I'am saying is, -0.7sec or so progress from last year might not be enough anymore to show any better results than last year.
4th or 5th AT BEST. You caused me to ask, "When was the last time McLaren was a top 2 or 3 team? Seems they've verged on being irrelevant for some time now . . .
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

McG

donskar wrote:
dot235 wrote:Guys, progress is always good, but let's be realistic.

4th or 5th AT BEST. You caused me to ask, "When was the last time McLaren was a top 2 or 3 team? Seems they've verged on being irrelevant for some time now . . .

2012. You have a short memory.
F1 is dead.