Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

vorticism wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 19:08
Ah, a road going hypercar that absolutely isn't as a fast as an F1 car around a circuit. Woo, and indeed, hoo!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

vorticism wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 00:19
Imagine seething this hard daily about a guy who designs cars for a soda manufacturer.
When the project started, there were claims that they were going to build a road car that could lap a race circuit as quickly as an F1 car. Of course, that never happened because, simply, it can't really be done with any car that is realistically road legal.

That's the point I was making in a sarcastic manner.

But sorry if it upset you.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

vorticism wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 13:35
You could send your resume to Fanta and try to beat him at his own game.
Someone has already done a much better job. You might have heard of him. Nice chap, goes by the name of Gordon Murray. His car is compact yet fits in three people and luggage, has an active aero system and has a high revving V12 that sounds fabulous.

The Valkyrie is a great looking car, but it feels a bit, well, a dinosaur these days. And it doesn't meet the original intent. They built a separate track car to do that.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Imagine vociferously defending a billion dollar multi-national when they categorically fail at achieving their stated objectives.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

vorticism wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 17:54
Boot aficionados fuming. Let's take a moment to think. If AM had wanted a somewhat practical GT, they would not have commissioned AN to build a track focused car. Luggage capacity would have been near last along with wood trim and a subwoofer on their priority list which would have had L:D and lateral grip figures near the top.

If you don't hear back from Fanta, try contacting Rich Energy.
You nicely miss the point. The Valkyrie isn't a track car. It's a road car. Luggage space, even if just somewhere to throw a coat and a few small items, is what road cars have.

The Pro is the track car - that doesn't need road car niceties.

The Pro exists because the road car doesn't do what they said it would - be a road car that can lap as fast as an F1 car.

djos

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 00:11
vorticism wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 17:54
Boot aficionados fuming. Let's take a moment to think. If AM had wanted a somewhat practical GT, they would not have commissioned AN to build a track focused car. Luggage capacity would have been near last along with wood trim and a subwoofer on their priority list which would have had L:D and lateral grip figures near the top.

If you don't hear back from Fanta, try contacting Rich Energy.
You nicely miss the point. The Valkyrie isn't a track car. It's a road car. Luggage space, even if just somewhere to throw a coat and a few small items, is what road cars have.

The Pro is the track car - that doesn't need road car niceties.

The Pro exists because the road car doesn't do what they said it would - be a road car that can lap as fast as an F1 car.
It's a "road car" that is designed to be driven to the racetrack for track days, around the track and then back home. It's not a GT Car like a Ferrari 812 GTS that would be driven on road trips.

Is it pointless, yes, but it's still cool IMO.
"In downforce we trust"

Andres125sx

OMG the Valkirie does not have space for luggage? I´m cancelling my order then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe it´s not faster than a F1 car, but can someone point me to any other hyper car wich can corner at 3Gs... without a fan (McMurtry)?

It´s an amazing piece of engineering wich is unique, anyone who cannot accept this has a problem as a motorsport fan #-o

Quantum

Andres125sx wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 11:20

Maybe it´s not faster than a F1 car, but can someone point me to any other hyper car wich can corner at 3Gs... without a fan (McMurtry)?

Can the roadgoing version do the same?
I'm sure it will be a high number but 3G cornering is listed as the Track only special AFAIK.
"Interplay of triads"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
OMG the Valkirie does not have space for luggage? I´m cancelling my order then :lol: :lol: :lol:

It´s an amazing piece of engineering wich is unique, anyone who cannot accept this has a problem as a motorsport fan #-o
It can't corner at 3g. That's the point being made. They have made a specific track version to do that.

It's only unique feature is underbody aero design - which has compromised the occupiable portion of the car. Other than that it's just another 2 seat hypercar with limited numebrs and a very high purchase price.

And I have no idea what liking (Or not) a road car has to do with being a motorsport fan. I don't like every Ferrari ever made - does that mean I can't like motorsport? #-o

Oh, and I don't really like the AMG One either. I'm doomed!

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Andres125sx wrote:

The point is they made such a big song and dance with their outlandish claims that it is a road car that's faster than an F1. The car was always cool in it's own right, it didn't need the absurd (and outright lies) marketing behind it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Cold Fussion wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 20:06
Andres125sx wrote:

The point is they made such a big song and dance with their outlandish claims that it is a road car that's faster than an F1. The car was always cool in it's own right, it didn't need the absurd (and outright lies) marketing behind it.
Exactly. If they'd just said "we're going to make a unique road car, one with an aero philosophy never seen before", that would have been great on its own. Adding hyperbole just makes it all look a bit silly. It's almost as if they never heard of the Jaguar XJ220.

Andres125sx

Well, it was obvious since years ago it would never be faster than a F1 car, because there´re no tires wich can cope with the necessary loads

Even so, it´s still an amazing piece of engineering with a phylosophy never seen before, wich probably is still faster than any other hypercar =D>

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 13:34
Well, it was obvious since years ago it would never be faster than a F1 car, because there´re no tires wich can cope with the necessary loads

Even so, it´s still an amazing piece of engineering with a phylosophy never seen before, wich probably is still faster than any other hypercar =D>
I've said elsewhere that it's a piece of automotive sculpture. It will be interesting if we ever get to see one of them up against the competition for a proper comparison. It's going to be quick - not as quick as a Bugatti, of course - but will it be any faster point-to-point than cars such as the GMA T50? That's what I'd like to see. And hear - two V12s going flat chat would be a great video on its own! =D>

But the fact it isn't faster than an F1 car is nothing to do with tyres. It can't generate the loads necessary so the tyres are irrelevant. The track car version will doubtless make huge levels of downforce - the track version of the T50 made around 2 tonnes of downforce when they started out, but they knocked it back to 1.5 tonnes because 2 tonnes would be too much for the owners. I wonder how much the AMR Pro makes.

In fact, wouldn't it be great to see the road versions and the track versions of these (and others, perhaps) going up against each other in head-to-head comparisons? =P~ =P~ =D>

vorticism

Cold Fussion wrote:
A CEO talking to a journo in one interview six years ago constitutes a big song and dance and or a marketing scheme?
"A drunken Andy Palmer of GT-R LM fame said to a journo..." AFAIR when the car was revealed there was no mention of F1. f.e. the press release from 2018 is below. In fact I've never read this claim anywhere but here where the thread title apparently references said article. Usually it was just talked up that Newey was involved and would have a bespoke V12 with unusual aero. So is the moaning in this thread general anti-AM sentiment or neweyphobia or an anti-soft drinks lobby?

https://www.netcarshow.com/aston_martin/2018-valkyrie/
𓄀

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

vorticism wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 18:19
Cold Fussion wrote:
A CEO talking to a journo in one interview six years ago constitutes a big song and dance and or a marketing scheme?
"A drunken Andy Palmer of GT-R LM fame said to a journo..." AFAIR when the car was revealed there was no mention of F1. f.e. the press release from 2018 is below. In fact I've never read this claim anywhere but here where the thread title apparently references said article. Usually it was just talked up that Newey was involved and would have a bespoke V12 with unusual aero. So is the moaning in this thread general anti-AM sentiment or neweyphobia or an anti-soft drinks lobby?

https://www.netcarshow.com/aston_martin/2018-valkyrie/
Really, it's just about every statement of performance that they've missed. Road car on regular Michelin Cup 2 was stated to be faster than LMP2 on video, AMR Pro was stated to be close to/faster than F1, car was told to customers that it would have 1:1 power to weight. Now Adrian Newey himself is distancing himself from the car.