2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

as i've already mentioned he had a fractured rib (maybe several) and a slightly collapsed lung (pneumothorax) ... he said that in the press conference

the lung has supposedly healed, the ribcage hasn't

Phillyred
Phillyred

ChrisDanger wrote:
FIA via Matteo Bonciani wrote:Two sets of chest CT scans were compared and it was decided that there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds.
What does it mean that there was "insufficient resolution of the signs"? It seems very vague, but that they can't see clearly enough, not necessarily that he's unfit to race. Surely there's a higher resolution scan they can do. What would they be looking for anyway, in his chest of all places?
Resolution as in the terms "resolved" or "better." There must be some lingering signs of bruising or swelling in the chest cavity or the organs. They most likely compared before/after scans etc.

FuelTheJet

ChrisDanger wrote:
FIA via Matteo Bonciani wrote:Two sets of chest CT scans were compared and it was decided that there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds.
What does it mean that there was "insufficient resolution of the signs"? It seems very vague, but that they can't see clearly enough, not necessarily that he's unfit to race. Surely there's a higher resolution scan they can do. What would they be looking for anyway, in his chest of all places?
I believe they're referring to the "signs" as "the signs that he shouldn't participate in the race" and the lack of proper resolution there.

It would be very odd if it was a literal 'resolution' issue.

giantfan10
giantfan10

FuelTheJet wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:
I believe they're referring to the "signs" as "the signs that he shouldn't participate in the race" and the lack of proper resolution there.

It would be very odd if it was a literal 'resolution' issue.
"insufficient resolution of the signs" basically that is a convoluted way of saying that his ribs are not healed well enough to race.
the signs= broken ribs, insufficient resolution= His ribs are not healed enough. sufficient resolution would be he ribs being healed enough to race .
Resolution :the act of finding an answer or solution to a conflict, problem, etc. : the act of resolving something

zioture
zioture

Andres125sx

I stand corrected, if the pressure to the pedal is 155kg and max deceleration is 5.2G, then the pressure on drivers chest is (80 * 5.2) -155 = 261kg

Like if three robust persons stand on your chest with you resting on the floor, and that with a broken rib and repeated constantly during three days and many hours... And Alonso was ready to take that!! :wtf:

Mr.G

Alonso is addicted to racing as other drivers, so of-course he was ready to take that :)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Big Mangalhit

Andres125sx wrote:I stand corrected, if the pressure to the pedal is 155kg and max deceleration is 5.2G, then the pressure on drivers chest is (80 * 5.2) -155 = 261kg

Like if three robust persons stand on your chest with you resting on the floor, and that with a broken rib and repeated constantly during three days and many hours... And Alonso was ready to take that!! :wtf:
From those 261kg you calculated one can easily take it with almost the arms only. The isometric(slightly eccentric) force a normal person can do with the arms on a steering wheel on an ideal (almost straight) position is easily way above 100kg, that will dramatically decrease the amount of force the seat bell will put on his chest. Plus the seat bell is well designed to spread that force across multiple areas to be safe in case of a several G deceleration (accident).

SiLo

If' you've got a broken or cracked rib it's incredibly painful. He'd have to be drugged up to his eyeballs to take that sort of pain inside a car where there are a lot of forces on your chest most of the time.
Felipe Baby!

FrukostScones

iotar__ wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Race should be over once mercedes slips on those meedz.
They won't use mediums and neither will Ferrari. OK I'm not sure about that :-)
Edit: I forgot they made tyre decisions long time ago #-o so there's no tyre testing and not much of tactics involved.

Hmm, so if they use mediums it's two stops SS - S - M with mediums lasting forever and earlier stop assuming Ferrari is behind and undercuts Merc with SS - S- S? Or Merc on the same strategy but with untested mediums?
I think Merc will coldfoot Ferrari with softs. SS-S-S or SS-S-S-SS
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

GPR-A duplicate2

FrukostScones wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Race should be over once mercedes slips on those meedz.
They won't use mediums and neither will Ferrari. OK I'm not sure about that :-)
Edit: I forgot they made tyre decisions long time ago #-o so there's no tyre testing and not much of tactics involved.

Hmm, so if they use mediums it's two stops SS - S - M with mediums lasting forever and earlier stop assuming Ferrari is behind and undercuts Merc with SS - S- S? Or Merc on the same strategy but with untested mediums?
This is a power circuit and puts a lot of energy into the tyres with loads of break energy going in. Last year, Mediums actually worked better than Softs. Also, Bottas on Mediums, managed to hold off Vettel on softs. I don't know if Merc or Ferrari would want to do SS-S-S, especially Ferrari, having chosen 3 sets of Mediums.

iotar__

This is a power circuit and puts a lot of energy into the tyres with loads of break energy going in. Last year, Mediums actually worked better than Softs. Also, Bottas on Mediums, managed to hold off Vettel on softs. I don't know if Merc or Ferrari would want to do SS-S-S, especially Ferrari, having chosen 3 sets of Mediums.
- About bold text: fine, mediums might be better and it's good to have options but they will be used on only one stint and in emergency Merc can use them too. Reference point is two stops with SS and then S-M, or S-S or SS-M (?), scenario with short stint on S/SS and longer on mediums as an advantage already mentioned.
- let's not drag Vettel's poor race into '16 tyres, he was going off track vs the same tyres cars; 3 compounds are a bit different too

Odd thing about Alonos is this delay. Firstly it's all positive spin, look how safe it is, no one's at fault, he's jumping and waving and week later he's doubtful for China :wtf: ? Obviously they counted on him getting better while pretending bad things don't exist, shady characters.

FrukostScones

GPR-A wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
iotar__ wrote: They won't use mediums and neither will Ferrari. OK I'm not sure about that :-)

So last year was S-S-M for the Mercs and a lot differnet strategies already last year... SS-S-M won't work I assume so it makes the mediums not worth picking unless you go SS-M-M what Ferrari will try to do only to be butchered by softer tyred Merc.

And as 9th starter I would chose M-S-S-SS, as last year MAL would have shown that M-S-S-S was bett than GRO: S-S-M
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

RZS10

This is probably slightly off topic but the german Sky commentators are so f*cking useless ...

"the opening in the airbox isn't just for the engine it is also for ... *awkward silence for 10 seconds, underside of another car is shown* ... oh look ... they are using duct tape"

"the hole at the axle is a tactical move by force india" .... tactical....

they were mocking the teams for not understanding the new quali format and had no clue what was happening themselves, they also confuse the drivers all the time ... and i thought the RTL guys were bad ... how can anyone who actually pays for Sky F1 find them acceptable? (i'm watching legally via shared skygo btw)

Felipe 92

RZS10 wrote:This is probably slightly off topic but the german Sky commentators are so f*cking useless ...

"the opening in the airbox isn't just for the engine it is also for ... *awkward silence for 10 seconds, underside of another car is shown* ... oh look ... they are using duct tape"

"the hole at the axle is a tactical move by force india" .... tactical....

they were mocking the teams for not understanding the new quali format and had no clue what was happening themselves, they also confuse the drivers all the time ... and i thought the RTL guys were bad ... how can anyone who actually pays for Sky F1 find them acceptable? (i'm watching legally via shared skygo btw)

I`m watching FP1 on SkyF1 (free internet stream) and in first hour there were only 5 Sure deodorant (Rexona) ads, 2 VW Golf ads, DHL ad, Skybet ads and some guy talking about El Clasico. Ted and Crofty start talking about Mercedes brake duct and end up talking about betting odds. I guess if you leave them alone to commentate race they will end up talking about moon landing or Oscars.
I`d rather not watch F1 at all than pay 11 £ on NowTV to watch this rubbish.