2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Chuckjr

Re: 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

It sucks now as fans we never know who is pushing and who isn't because of all the tire degration bs, and forced rules that make absolutely no sense. Even teams don't understand anymore how to qualify their car for a race!! WTF?? It's like watching football and not being allowed to view the quarterback, ever.

So you never really know, even if you follow avidly as we all do here, just how fast any driver or car is anymore. Nobody here can prove if Nico was pushing or cruising. Both sides have valid points. Nobody knows ever really who's pushing and if you live in the USA, TV coverage is TERRIBLE. Steve Marchet saves the day, but most of the others, especially Hobbs, a clear Lewis lover, are totally worthless.

It's so frustrating as a fan who used to watch Senna KNOWING he was balls to the wall every f-ing lap. All that is gone now as well as the tracks and we as fans are left fighting for scraps from Bernies table. Just bums me out man.

I simply want to see fair qualifying, every driver pushing every lap, and some kind of respect for the tracks. Is that really too much to ask? Geez

Btw, congrats to team Haas. Wow. Hats off. Incredible what hey are doing. Absolutely stunning. When Gros passed the RB on track then the Wiliiams on the outside I just started laughing out loud. Incredible f-ing accomplishment. Standing O.
Watching F1 since 1986.

evered7
evered7

Diesel wrote:
evered7 wrote: And any reason why they are not showing the amount of fuel used these days on the TV?
Same reason there is less team radio now. The FIA & FOM seem hell bent on giving fans LESS access to the sport. Same reason SKY get the exclusive TV rights from 2019 onwards.

Actually I am glad about the less radio part. Got tired of the coaching that some drivers got. But maybe they are not showing the fuel used because that is giving away a team's secret?

I believe that is one piece of information that may be crucial to teams. Knowing how much fuel your competitor is starting on, with fuel providers trying to improve the power/mileage from each drop.

That gave some help in finding out if the teams were really pushing or not. Now it's a shot in the dark.

dot235
dot235

evered7 wrote:
Diesel wrote:
evered7 wrote: And any reason why they are not showing the amount of fuel used these days on the TV?
Same reason there is less team radio now. The FIA & FOM seem hell bent on giving fans LESS access to the sport. Same reason SKY get the exclusive TV rights from 2019 onwards.

Actually I am glad about the less radio part. Got tired of the coaching that some drivers got. But maybe they are not showing the fuel used because that is giving away a team's secret?

I believe that is one piece of information that may be crucial to teams. Knowing how much fuel your competitor is starting on, with fuel providers trying to improve the power/mileage from each drop.

That gave some help in finding out if the teams were really pushing or not. Now it's a shot in the dark.
Either way, it used to be way better for the fans.
Fuel consumption info along with more team radio were the things that made it entertaining during stable gap managing phases of the race between pitstops when there is little to none action on the track other than the cars calmly following one another.
Last edited by dot235 on 03 Apr 2016, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Lewis would have burnt his tyres with the crippled aero.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Sniffit wrote:Don't get why some of you says it was a boring race, sure the outcome was given but there were lots of good midfield action and some decent battles.
I'm with you there, it was fun to watch, didn't mind what was going on at the front end. Some nice showings from the newcomers too.
Sadly, we still don't really know for sure where the front runners are in relation to each other.

Dazed1
Dazed1

Chuckjr wrote:It sucks now as fans we never know who is pushing and who isn't because of all the tire degration bs, and forced rules that make absolutely no sense. Even teams don't understand anymore how to qualify their car for a race!! WTF?? It's like watching football and not being allowed to view the quarterback, ever.

So you never really know, even if you follow avidly as we all do here, just how fast any driver or car is anymore. Nobody here can prove if Nico was pushing or cruising. Both sides have valid points. Nobody knows ever really who's pushing and if you live in the USA, TV coverage is TERRIBLE. Steve Marchet saves the day, but most of the others, especially Hobbs, a clear Lewis lover, are totally worthless.

It's so frustrating as a fan who used to watch Senna KNOWING he was balls to the wall every f-ing lap. All that is gone now as well as the tracks and we as fans are left fighting for scraps from Bernies table. Just bums me out man.

I simply want to see fair qualifying, every driver pushing every lap, and some kind of respect for the tracks. Is that really too much to ask? Geez

Btw, congrats to team Haas. Wow. Hats off. Incredible what hey are doing. Absolutely stunning. When Gros passed the RB on track then the Wiliiams on the outside I just started laughing out loud. Incredible f-ing accomplishment. Standing O.
Always been a BIG fan of Hamilton and so Mercedes now, but if Gros' and Hamilton ever start dicing, I am going with Gros'. :)

justmoi
justmoi

I followed live timing while watching the race. Usually Lewis would gain .2 seconds in sector one on Kimi then lose about .6 in sector 2. Sector three they were alternating but very close with usually Lewis just a bit faster. Now normal service Lewis even conservative estimate is .2 seconds faster in sector 2 alone. That's already .8 of the 1 second Mercedes are claiming.

Also why would Nico have been pushing all out with such a big lead and no more realistic threat from behind. All he would have to do is mirror anyone alone to win. Lewis has already said 'I guarantee you after 10 laps Nico wasn't pushing'

Racer X

For me hands down HAAS F1 took the spotlight for the simple fact that it's the second time they run a great race. Despite Gutierrez and his car just having what ever problems it had. I still haven't looked for any articles to chek what the issue was but at least Romain was able to push and had a good car and it didn't break so that at least one of their cars had a good showing to prove HAAS can race. The pit team can use more work but their a new team and we'll their will be some room for errors'.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Am I the only one that finds Hamilton's reactions a bit out of character?

I know the circumstances of the first two races were abnormal, but Lewis seems very comfortable with his misfortunes. I'm no expert, but I would have anticipated a bit more irritability/frustration on his part.

dans79

Fulcrum wrote:Am I the only one that finds Hamilton's reactions a bit out of character?

I know the circumstances of the first two races were abnormal, but Lewis seems very comfortable with his misfortunes. I'm no expert, but I would have anticipated a bit more irritability/frustration on his part.
After three seasons of beating Nico in a row, and out qualifying him (Nico's strong suit) so far this season, and with Ferrari being much closer, he realizes he could easily erase his deficit in a race or two at most. I'm sure he's not overly happy about being 17 points down, but it is a lot better than being 50.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A duplicate2

Fulcrum wrote:Am I the only one that finds Hamilton's reactions a bit out of character?

But that was how he was in Australia, Canada, Hungary and Germany in 2014. This being a 21 race season and he is beating Rosberg in qualifying battle so far, he knows that it is only misfortunes that are stopping him and not his own performance. He probably knows more than anyone else that he has to stay calm and work with the car and remain positive to win the championship. With Vettel suffering far bigger misfortune, it only should make him feel safer.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

The old Hamilton wouldn't do that I'd say. He kinda lost that maturity of his during the Mclaren era. I found him more mature anyway. He is still the biggest nominee for WDC. That's just an opinion on his character.
Also, it was him who messed up the two starts so far.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:

But that was how he was in Australia, Canada, Hungary and Germany in 2014. This being a 21 race season and he is beating Rosberg in qualifying battle so far, he knows that it is only misfortunes that are stopping him and not his own performance. He probably knows more than anyone else that he has to stay calm and work with the car and remain positive to win the championship. With Vettel suffering far bigger misfortune, it only should make him feel safer.
Well, making two bad starts is part of his performance, so he needs to work on this.

henra
henra

PlatinumZealot wrote: You are kidding right? Take a look at the photos. The wing, turning vanes and side of the floor were all damaged.
Initially that was correct. But only until the first pit stop when they replaced the nose/FW. After that it was basically the right barge board and a bit of the edge of the floor that was missing/severely damaged.
I agree that up to the first pit stop with the massacred FW the car would have lost up to one second per lap but surely not after they replaced the FW.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:So, the Ferraris are cooking the PU. The issues were evident in Winter Testing and now the issues are badly impacting them in races. 2 Failures in 2 Races. The Haas doesn't have any issues, which means, the Ferrari packaging is sucking.
And what happened to the LIGHTENING Ferrari starts? :D
And once again, the Mercedes of Lewis got a slow start.
Bottas, the evil of the night. :twisted:
What the hell is wrong with Force India and Williams? Are they using a 2015 Merc PU?
That Haas is flying in the hands of Grosjean.
Evil? it was a first lap incident, the stewards were too hard.

Well, Kimi made a mistake so we cannot compare his start with the previous race. Vettel was busy cooking something with his PU...

Race was quite fun, Saturdays s*ck but race have been good. Another mistake by Lewis, I think he is quite dependant from teams instructions.

Haas and Grosjean are doing an amazing job, its not only the Ferrari PU, it seems tha Dallara has done a good job too.

Vandoorme did a great race and McLaren is looking better, Bahrein is a fast track and when I saw the Belgian overtaking other cars I smiled.

Verstappen did a a great race, too bad that Perez ruined Sainz´s chances of doing a great race.

Rosberg is doing a great job, he surely knows how to manage a race. The lack of radio messages is helping him, he is better than Lewis doing stars and managing the strategy/fuel/tyres and other things use.