Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vasconia

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

FW17 wrote:The only reason for replacement I can think of is should a number 2 get so much money.

Then again Ferrari has a lot of it.
This could be a reason if they have doubts but if he continues to perform like now there will be no doubts.

iotar__

Vasconia wrote: He is doing a good job, showing good pace in both qualy and race. I cant imagine why he should be replaced. Its obvious that Sebastian is faster, but come one, this is quite logic and reasonable taking into account Sebastian´s pure pace and that he is much younger than Kimi.
I hope he will continue in 2017.
Huh, what pace? He's doing objectively awful job:
- Australia, Q start, pace,
- China - qualifying behind Ricciardo, 0,6 behind Rosberg where is should have been close, mediocre start (behind Rosberg), pace.
- Russia - qualifying behind Bottas (a theme: slower car and every time it's possible, check previous season), 1,2 behind Rosberg, 0,5 behind Vettel, lost position to Bottas, plus pace compared to Bottas, Hamilton
- Bahrain - start = end of the race, he was lucky (Bottas-Ham collision helped) he didn't end up behind a driver who started ninth after first lap,

These are not small differences and minor mistakes. Four bad races and three below the scale, Chilton would be finishing in the exactly same place, only lack of competition saves him - Russia best example. It's fired mid-season form third year in a row. This is what people upvote here #-o. Now please give me examples of a good job.

FrukostScones

MERC/merc: HAM/WER
FER/Fer: VET/RIC
RB/Ren: ROS/VES
MCLAREN/Hon: ALO/BUT
WILLIAMS/Merc: BOT/PER
REN/Ren: KVY/MAG
FINDIA/Merc: HUL/MAL
SAUBER/Fer: x.x extinct
HAAS/Fer: GRO/GUI
TR/Hon: SAI/GAS
MANOR/Merc: x.x extinct
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Maybe Alonso will jump the McLaren ship again. I will see that happen faster, than Hamilton leaving Merc. So

AMG Mercedes: Hamilton Alonso
Scuderia Ferrari: Vettel Raikkonen
Redbull Racing: Riciardo Verstappen
Torro Rosso: Sainz Gasley
Williams: Bottas Nasr
McLaren: Button VanDoorne
Force India: Perez Wehrlein
Renault: Rosberg Kvyat
Sauber (Alfa Romeo): Hulkenberg Ericson
Manor: Palmer Haryanto
Haas: Grosjean Guitierez

continuum16

"Works" teams:
Mercedes-AMG : Rosberg & Hamilton
Scuderia Ferrari: Vettel & Grosjean
RenaultSport : Magnussen & Ericsson
McLaren-Honda : Alonso & Vandoorne

"Customer" teams:
Red Bull : Ricciardo & Verstappen
Williams : Bottas & Lynn
Haas : Vergne & Hulkenburg
Toro Rosso : Sainz & Gasly
Force India: Perez & Ocon
Sauber?/SMP? : Kvyat & Palmer
Manor : Wehrlein & Gutierrez

Engines: Honda Renault Ferrari Mercedes
  • Massa, Raikkonen, and Button retire
  • Sauber is taken over, Nasr disappears
  • Gasly, Ocon, Vandoorne, Lynn come in
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Sonador
Sonador

I would like to see Vergne back in F1, maybe with Renault.

My list:

Mercedes: Hamilton & Rosberg
Ferrari: Vettel & Grosjean
Redbull: Riciardo & Verstappen
Torro Rosso: Sainz & Kvyat
Williams: Bottas & Button
McLaren: Alonso & VanDoorne
Force India: Perez & Wehrlein
Renault: Magnussen & Vergne
Sauber: Massa & Ericson
Manor: Palmer & Haryanto
Haas: Hulkenberg & Guitierez

ME4ME

Guys Hulkenberg got a 2-year contract at Force India until the end of 2017. He is going nowhere.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24227/ ... 6-and-2017

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

After 2017 he's going somewhere. I'm inclined to say he's heading WEC or LeMans, perhaps Nascar, Indy, with the addition of a season of Formula E.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ME4ME

But this is the 2016/2017 Silly Season thread. What he does after, well, like you say, there are lots of possiblities.

WaikeCU

I was just wondering about something...

If Kvyat gets an offer to jump in another team immediately, would that not put Red Bull in a problem having to find another driver for Toro Rosso (Gasly most likely)? I could think of Kvyat having to think about it how RB have treated him recently, if Renault for example terminates Palmer's contract and goes for Kvyat, because they see potential in him in Renault's future. I could see him go. That is if Renault is already focusing on 2017.

I don't like the idea of switching drivers during the season. I already find it harsh, especially the drivers who lose their ride at the end of the season after having a promising season, but during the season and especially after 4 races, that's shocking... just like Kvyat said. It made think: Kvyat hasn't seen it coming, meaning Red Bull hasn't warned him his results weren't great and that he has to up his game, which makes me think Red Bull only did the switch just to keep Verstappen safe from other team offers, which made me think:

Would it not be interesting if they introduce a rule that the drivers who switch teams also carry over the points the driver already has to his new team. So that would mean: Kvyat would carry over 21 points to Toro Rosso and Verstappen would carry over 13 points over to Red Bull. It's a rule that kind of protects the driver a bit more and is more a warning towards the teams that pull certain actions against their drivers. In my above scenario, if Kvyat gets an offer to drive for Renault immediately, he would carry over 21 points to Renault, which would bring a massive difference in the constructors standing for Renault.

I would like your opinion on this... I think it has potential or you just can call me mental as well. :lol:

ME4ME

I was just thinking this morning, I wonder what kind of contract Vandoorne has with Mclaren. Presumably Mclaren has first dips on him, but if they cannot give him a seat for 2017, and another team can, there would be little stopping him leaving. Unlike of course there is something in his contract that would bind him to Mclaren for multiple years even if he doesn't get to race.

I'm not saying it is going to happen, but Red Bull could just probe around a bit. Offer Vandoorne a Toro Rosso seat for 2017, in the summer break, so that Vandoorne can put pressure on Mclaren. Mclaren would have to either take him on, or let him go. Win-win for Vandoorne really.

But I think what every rookie has to consider before going to Red Bull is the chance of actually being promoted. If Verstappen delivers, and Ricciardo just continues to perform, there is no need for Red Bull to promote anyone in the years to come.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Vernge was there for three years, and even now i wont be supprised if he makes a comeback with a Ferrari based team.

ScottB
ScottB

ME4ME wrote:I was just thinking this morning, I wonder what kind of contract Vandoorne has with Mclaren. Presumably Mclaren has first dips on him, but if they cannot give him a seat for 2017, and another team can, there would be little stopping him leaving. Unlike of course there is something in his contract that would bind him to Mclaren for multiple years even if he doesn't get to race.

I'm not saying it is going to happen, but Red Bull could just probe around a bit. Offer Vandoorne a Toro Rosso seat for 2017, in the summer break, so that Vandoorne can put pressure on Mclaren. Mclaren would have to either take him on, or let him go. Win-win for Vandoorne really.

But I think what every rookie has to consider before going to Red Bull is the chance of actually being promoted. If Verstappen delivers, and Ricciardo just continues to perform, there is no need for Red Bull to promote anyone in the years to come.
I really don't see Red Bull ever employing drivers from outwith their talent pool, as long as they have guys in it.

When there's a spare seat at STR, it'll go to whoever is Marko's favourite junior at the time. No chance they'd give a seat to a McLaren protege.

I'd wager it's a stick on that Button will step aside for Stoffel anyway, he's getting on, and I'm sure he's involved in his management as well. Makes sense. Could only see him staying if Alonso retired or something.

As for Ricciardo, well, when it comes to drivers, the RB setup is ruthless. If data or whatever else drives decisions there leads them to think Sainz would do a better job, then he'll be out. I don't think there's any guarantees there, as Kyvat's situation has shown, if you stop being flavour of the month...

iotar__

"Alonso an option if Rosberg doesn’t stay – Mercedes boss" http://www.thisisf1.com/2016/05/17/alon ... edes-boss/
5 seconds after losing 43 points and 1-2 because of Hamilton's driving Wolff is discussing Rosberg's leaving through the media again and his replacement. What a nice person and organization. It's of course covered in ifs and priorities but the timing and message is interesting.
"“If he (Rosberg) does not want to renew, then we will consider other options, like Fernando"

Are we talking about the same Alonso that has a contract with McLaren? I guess it doesn't matter. So the question is: will it happen :o ? Age is not a problem but probably a good thing - Rosberg too good for Hamilton ATM. It creates good results but bad marketing vibes.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

If Merc is so bound to 'dump' Rosberg, there might be a reason for it, with all due respect.

a 2nd coming of a Hamilton-Alonso pairing would be nuts - and absolutely something to look forward to.

However, one might wonder whether Mercedes would ever concider pairing Alonso to Hamilton. The Rosberg - Hamilton relationship isn't working, so i'd assume the least thing Mercedes would be looking forward to is to have a repeat of the Hamilton-Alonso Mclaren situation version 2.0 which really is Hamilton-Rosberg 2.0.

its not impossible though, and i could see Alonso going to Merc if there would be an opening. I am bitterly left with zero trust that Mclaren-Honda is going to work. I could even see Mclaren going with another engine supplier in 2018.

"Don't worry, i'll take out Rosberg first lap and get the heat on. I'll have this championship even if im DNF this and a couple more races. Just a kick to Nico's shins and itll go frenzy. I'm safe. He's not. He'll be out, you'll be in. Just make sure you fry that Honda engine so you've got another reason to bail."
Last edited by Manoah2u on 17 May 2016, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"