Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Dimi PAPADOPOULOS ‏@f1enigma
Corriere della Serra and @GiorgioTerruzzi suggest that we have a flirt between @nico_rosberg and @Ferrari

erlik
erlik

I would like to see Carlos Sainz Jr in Ferrari / Merc or other top team at the time. This would make nice duel between Max and Carlos in time to come. I don't see Carlos in RB as RB will be bound to Max and there were already too much tension between two of them...

notsofast
notsofast

If Bernie really wants to reduce the impact of dominant teams, perhaps he should make a new rule: no former or current WDC shall drive for the previous year's WCC winning team.

Vasconia

erlik wrote:I would like to see Carlos Sainz Jr in Ferrari / Merc or other top team at the time. This would make nice duel between Max and Carlos in time to come. I don't see Carlos in RB as RB will be bound to Max and there were already too much tension between two of them...
I agree with the fact that Carlos should try to find another team. Unless Ricciardo decides to leave RC I dont see any place for him there. Ferrari would be nice but why not Williams? Renault could be a nice choice for the future, because they will improve for sure. The French team could dream to win the title once again with an Spanish driver. :mrgreen:

The_table

ME4ME wrote:I was just thinking this morning, I wonder what kind of contract Vandoorne has with Mclaren. Presumably Mclaren has first dips on him, but if they cannot give him a seat for 2017, and another team can, there would be little stopping him leaving. Unlike of course there is something in his contract that would bind him to Mclaren for multiple years even if he doesn't get to race.

I'm not saying it is going to happen, but Red Bull could just probe around a bit. Offer Vandoorne a Toro Rosso seat for 2017, in the summer break, so that Vandoorne can put pressure on Mclaren. Mclaren would have to either take him on, or let him go. Win-win for Vandoorne really.

But I think what every rookie has to consider before going to Red Bull is the chance of actually being promoted. If Verstappen delivers, and Ricciardo just continues to perform, there is no need for Red Bull to promote anyone in the years to come.
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/954/Formule-1/ ... line.dhtml (dutch)

This (very short) article states that there is interest from other teams and that Vandoorne has his own deadline in his mind, if he does not get a contract from mclaren before this deadline he will switch. (He did not say which teams have an interest)

FrukostScones

ROS in Ferrari 2017 ?? what sh*t rumors are that?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

The_table

Switching from mercedes just seems SO awkward, Ferrari haven't produced a dominant winning car in years
(Please don't flame me for this, i like Ferrari and would like to see them win and be somewhat more dominant)

It also seems weird from mercedes's perspective, they would switch Rosberg, a strong driver they know in and out for a young talent that could be even faster OR a loose cannon OR not fast enough , or they could switch him for another fast veteran driver and end up in the same situation as they are now with rosberg.

I don't see why they would risk it and accept so many unkown factors.

a1b2i3r45

FrukostScones wrote:ROS in Ferrari 2017 ?? what sh*t rumors are that?
If I were to guess I would say it's a rumor generated by the rosberg camp in order to get a better deal from mercedes.

a1b2i3r45

Manoah2u wrote:If Merc is so bound to 'dump' Rosberg, there might be a reason for it, with all due respect.

a 2nd coming of a Hamilton-Alonso pairing would be nuts - and absolutely something to look forward to.

However, one might wonder whether Mercedes would ever concider pairing Alonso to Hamilton. The Rosberg - Hamilton relationship isn't working, so i'd assume the least thing
Mercedes would be looking forward to is to have a repeat of the Hamilton-Alonso Mclaren situation version 2.0 which really is Hamilton-Rosberg 2.0.

its not impossible though, and i could see Alonso going to Merc if there would be an opening. I am bitterly left with zero trust that Mclaren-Honda is going to work. I could even see Mclaren going with another engine supplier in 2018.

http://www.thisisf1.com/wp-content/uplo ... s-boss.jpg

"Don't worry, i'll take out Rosberg first lap and get the heat on. I'll have this championship even if im DNF this and a couple more races. Just a kick to Nico's shins
and itll go frenzy. I'm safe. He's not. He'll be out, you'll be in. Just make sure you fry that Honda engine so you've got another reason to bail."

I would love to see much more battles between them.

Sonador
Sonador

Remember that Mercedes said the exact same thing when they were negotiating with Hamilton??

Just a tactic that is being used, also Ron Dennis said that Alonso has a watertight contract without clauses.
Now maybe given Mclarens current situation, RD would reconsider letting Alonso go?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

a1b2i3r45 wrote:[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRbgnqIG_Q

I would love to see much more battles between them.
that vid is frickin awesome, i never actually seen that, that is so smart and funny at the same time.
Agreed, i'd love to see a Alonso-Hamilton battle.

Funny enough, it could be turned around for 2017 if for some shock reason Hamilton goes to Ferrari,
and Alonso jumps in that Merc seat. Alonso in the Merc, Hamilton in the Ferrari.

Oddly enough I could imagine poor Fernando having so much bad luck and timing - he's on a bad wave somehow -
that when he enters Mercedes, he enters at exactly the time Merc drops back and Ferrari jumps back aswell as RedBull.

Though I still think Mercedes is probably going to be on a high in 2017 still, and I think Ferrari isn't. they're still 'not there'.
RedBull actually is on their way back and a good performing Renault engine would jump them back into the game easy as 1-2-3.

Wouldn't it be funny if Ricciardo actually went to Ferrari, and Alonso would jump into the vacant RedBull seat? :mrgreen:
Alonso-Verstappen.

I could actually see the reasoning work, Ricciardo is a guaranteed and former race-winner, but if he's out, who are they going to replace him with alongside fellow GP-winner Verstappen, whom is potentially a World Driver Champion.
Kvyat has not managed to live up to the expectations, and It doesn't look like RedBull are confident Sainz is a potential GP-winner or WDC. Not even to mention that the Verstappen-Sainz combo creates stress on the team and a 2-camp.
I therefor doubt whether RedBull would feel comfortable on upgrading Sainz to the mothership - even if his capabilities would stand for him , the question remains whether RedBull would want him with the danger of 'clashing' and potentially losing the WDC/WCC and handing over GP wins to the competition like Merc has in Spain.

So, we can be sure Kvyat would be a no-no, and let's say Sainz would be a no too (could see Sainz heading to Williams, to accompany Button), then who on earth are they gonna get there but a guaranteed GP winner?
I think Kimi is out either way. Not because he isn't a great driver, but because i think he's less committed and less focused.
RedBull actually concidered Kimi before, if i recall correctly, so it's not out of the picture to have a Non-RB driver in a RB.

SO, Alonso would be somebody that is a guaranteed race-winner, a former double-world champion, still one of THE best out there, AND somebody still very committed and HUNGRY for another world title.

2 drivers both capable and experienced GP winners, both WDC-hungry and one a experienced WDC.

I am 100% sure that if Alonso gets the chance, he'll bail from Mclaren-Honda to ANY team at this moment that can deliver him a car that is GUARANTEED to give him a win and championship. And frankly, Mclaren-Honda is faaar, faaar away from that. Mercedes is there, RedBull is there, and Ferrari COULD be there, but there is no way Alonso will go back.

Alonso has signed a 3-year contract with Mclaren so he'd be supposed to drive for them 2017 too, but without doubt he has a performance clause and he can say he's commited to them for the full 3 years all he wants, he gets a offer that grants him what he REALLY wants, he's out.

I can imagine a whole lot of change coming soon.

Ferrari: Hamilton-Vettel OR Vettel - Ricciardo OR Vettel - Rosberg (dont believe it ever tho)
Mercedes: Rosberg-Ricciardo OR Hamilton - Alonso OR Hamilton - Ricciardo
RedBull: Verstappen-Alonso OR Verstappen - Raikkonen OR Verstappen - Alonso

and regarding Dennis : dennis talks a lot of words that in the end are not a full representation of the truth or reality.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Everytime we are awaiting a Rosberg-Hamilton duel, it usually ends in a crash or an anticlimax. I think Mercedes owes us some proper racing if they keep dominating the sport for another year. Hamilton-Alonso 2.0 in a Mercedes would be awesome, remember they ware both older and wiser now.

And since it does not look like McLaren will be back in 2017, he is keen to move out.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

In what universe does Rosberg end up at Ferrari?

1) Why would Rosberg want to go to Ferrari? He's making ample money at Mercedes, and the Mercedes is a better car.
2) He's been treated quite fairly at Mercedes; could he guarantee that treatment at Ferrari?
3) Good chance he wins the championship this year. If he does, he won't be going anywhere.
4) If Mercedes doesn't want him, or if he wants out because he has lost another championship, what would recommend him to Ferrari? A 3-time can't win the championship in the best car driver; oh right - could be the latest version of Barrichello!
5) He's German. Ferrari don't usually run driver's with the same nationality unless they're Italian; in fact, its only happened for 1 full season since 1970.
6) Is he better than Raikkonen?
7) Is he cheaper than Raikkonen? If Raikkonen stays on another year it won't be for too much money.

I could see him appearing in a McLaren next year though. Alonso and Rosberg swop, Button to Williams replacing Massa who retires; Vandoorne replaces Button.

Realistically though, he's just going to stay put and earn another $10-13 million, provided Mercedes want him.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

I see it that way as well. If Rosberg is going out of Mercedes, I can't see anything other than a McLaren.

What about Renault? They are building up slowly to fight for the championships and surely their engine program is on the right path. They would be looking for some top driver as well. I think Renault can be quite competitive in 2017.

WaikeCU

Can't think of Alonso coming to Mercedes, because that would be a short term move, because I don't see Alonso race that long in F1 and what about form wise? Will he be equally as sharp as usual? If Rosberg decides to go to Ferrari, then I could only think of Wehrlein moving up to Mercedes, a Mercedes protege.