Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

imagine the shock if he'd actually beat the living daylights out of Hamilton , and NOT crash even a single time o.O
matter of fact, that sounds like the best entertainment ever. instant and permanent F1 legend.
And be a good chap and donate his entire salary over that year including championship payout to Venezuela to fix
the hunger problem there. Then retire and become Venezuela's next president......he'd win that campaign in a heartbeat.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

kptaylor
kptaylor

No way Maldonado is coming back w/o the government of Venezuela backing him with huge amounts of money. The government is on the verge of massive changes, so doubt that money will reappear any time soon.

can
can

kptaylor wrote:No way Maldonado is coming back w/o the government of Venezuela backing him with huge amounts of money. The government is on the verge of massive changes, so doubt that money will reappear any time soon.
Sadly I would agree on that, Venezuela is facing a massive crisis.
I dont think the government would spend 20-30 millions dollars,
while parts of the population are starving.
And remember PDVSA had no reason to be marketed,
because their products are not relevant outside
of Venezuela. Not to mention that the former dead
President Chavez was his main backer.

Maybe we should start a crowdfunding campaign to buy him a Merc Raceseat,
Come on, how much could that cost. =D> =D> =D>

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

well if we look into nico's paycheck, then if maldo would drive for free they would still benefit....well unless he manages to crash so much it would cost more than an actual nico contract, but....well....and if he's total captain slow, we finally have a merc fighting a redbull, merc, or even a renault?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Jolle
Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:well if we look into nico's paycheck, then if maldo would drive for free they would still benefit....well unless he manages to crash so much it would cost more than an actual nico contract, but....well....and if he's total captain slow, we finally have a merc fighting a redbull, merc, or even a renault?
A real shame for him Volvo isn't in F1. He could show off the new safety features every week.

iotar__

Jolle wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:well if we look into nico's paycheck, then if maldo would drive for free they would still benefit....well unless he manages to crash so much it would cost more than an actual nico contract, but....well....and if he's total captain slow, we finally have a merc fighting a redbull, merc, or even a renault?
A real shame for him Volvo isn't in F1. He could show off the new safety features every week.
So you're (all) ignoring replacements Palmer and Magnussen crashing spectacularly every second race (or spinning, colliding etc) and continue this mindless and detached from reality bashing of a driver that's not in F1. It was Maldonado that:

- crashed in Spa (KM) it was only a couple of weeks ago so no wonder you forgot (unlike made up in your heads Maldo crashes)
- crashed at basically the first lap in Monaco on his own and blamed zebra crossing that presumably appeared only for him and disappeared later (JP)
- spun while running in the points in (was it?) Hungary (JP)
- got himself a penalty for silliest double move blocking (KM)
- collided with Sauber in Canada (KM)
- collided with his team mate in Spain and got a penalty (KM)
- crashed in Canada (KM)
- crashed in Monaco (KM)
- collided in Germany (JP)
- collided with Nasr in Monza (JP) - the most bizarre penalty for Nasr from Charlie Whiting that is blatantly trying to protect him
- collided at the start in Australia, puncture? (KM) and so on and so forth.

If you worried about chassis repair costs ask:
- Ferrari (Raikkonen x 10 in the last seasons)
- McLaren - Alonso Australia
- Red Bull - Verstappen's three crashes in Monaco
I need you to ask: do you even bother watching F1 or whatever you can make up in your heads is enough?

Jolle
Jolle

iotar__ wrote:
Jolle wrote:
So you're (all) ignoring replacements Palmer and Magnussen crashing spectacularly every second race (or spinning, colliding etc) and continue this mindless and detached from reality bashing of a driver that's not in F1. It was Maldonado that:

- crashed in Spa (KM) it was only a couple of weeks ago so no wonder you forgot (unlike made up in your heads Maldo crashes)
- crashed at basically the first lap in Monaco on his own and blamed zebra crossing that presumably appeared only for him and disappeared later (JP)
- crashed in Canada (KM)
- crashed in Monaco (KM)
- collided with Nasr in Monza (JP) - the most bizarre penalty for Nasr from Charlie Whiting that is blatantly trying to protect him

I need you to ask: do you even bother watching F1 or whatever you can make up in your heads is enough?
Yes, we're all ignoring that.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Give them a break, the Renault (Lotus) with wrong engine (designed for a Mercedes) is undrivable. Maldonado is not that bad when running in front.

More f this please

https://youtu.be/L1Wcch5nR-g

nevill3

Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Facts Only
Facts Only

godlameroso wrote:
Jolle wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Didn't you work as a janitor for McLaren or something?
Ah yes, the "revert to insults and bullying tactic" to make your point. Classy.
I'm not, I clearly remember him saying something to that effect. I know he was joking as far as the exact role he had, and I understand that it can be sensitive information. In retrospect it probably wasn't the most mature comment I could have made.
I did make that joke, I knew it was being referenced... Although on more thourough thought being a janitor (caretaker in the UK) to Ron Dennis is probably the hardest job in F1
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

iotar__ wrote: mindless and detached from reality

you must be real fun at parties dude. sheesh. bashing? i dont see point in causing this thread to derail into some worthless endless line of hatred, but you're hardly the one to speak on your heavy 'critism' to put it mildly on a lot of terms, mercedes thread and various race threads come to mind.

perhaps 'live and let live' should be something to think about dude.

anyway, OT, maldo did crash a significant amount of cars, and he HAD the odd 'privilidge' to have an entire site named after him (hasmaldonadocrashedtoday), something no other driver ever in f1 history made. Only 'Inoue' has some fun stuff about him done, but that's about it. take it with a grain of salt.

efuloni
efuloni

iotar__ wrote:
Jolle wrote:

- crashed in Canada (KM)
- crashed in Monaco (KM)

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Palmer and Magnussen aren't good enought. Saying that the car is bad is not an argument good enough. Even the Manor and Sauber drivers don't do this kind of thing and I believe their cars are probably worse (or at least just as bad). I used to have high hopes for KM, now I would be happy if Renault changed both drivers for 2017. I wont miss them. Not even a bit.

Jolle
Jolle

efuloni wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
Jolle wrote: A real shame for him Volvo isn't in F1. He could show off the new safety features every week.

- crashed in Canada (KM)
- crashed in Monaco (KM)

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Palmer and Magnussen aren't good enought. Saying that the car is bad is not an argument good enough. Even the Manor and Sauber drivers don't do this kind of thing and I believe their cars are probably worse (or at least just as bad). I used to have high hopes for KM, now I would be happy if Renault changed both drivers for 2017. I wont miss them. Not even a bit.
Palmer, Magnussen and the RS16 are placeholders. The car is a undrivable Frankenstein made up from a bad development from the '14 car with the wrong engine and no development. I guess the race team in completely on its own with the monster. Palmer and Magnussen are (compared to their counterparts) cheap.
Even last years Marrusia was better balanced, at least the right engine was in the back (and the '14 car wasn't a complete disaster).

That they are on the grid with this car is for the FOM contract only. If it was upto Renault, they would've skipped '16 and put all energy into '17 forwards.

Magnussen might have a chance with Renault next year, only because there aren't a lot of super licensed F1 drivers with a bit of experience left.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I feel bad Maldonado actually. When he signed the Lotus contract in 2013 it was the fastest car on track and fighting for 2nd in WCC. In 2014 they were backmarkers and the team he left, Williams ended up 3rd. Even with Mercedes in 2015 Lotus was sh--t.

It will be the same for who will sign Williams this year. Fighting Force India for 4th, but expect Torro Rosso and McHonda on 4th/5th next year. Fighting with FI and Renault for 6th, could be 8th for Williams with some bad luck.

I understand Button not going there.

OneAlex

NL_Fer wrote:I feel bad Maldonado actually. When he signed the Lotus contract in 2013 it was the fastest car on track and fighting for 2nd in WCC. In 2014 they were backmarkers and the team he left, Williams ended up 3rd. Even with Mercedes in 2015 Lotus was sh--t.

It will be the same for who will sign Williams this year. Fighting Force India for 4th, but expect Torro Rosso and McHonda on 4th/5th next year. Fighting with FI and Renault for 6th, could be 8th for Williams with some bad luck.

I understand Button not going there.
I didn't feel bad for him, he was too dismissive of Williams when he left, so his bad luck was more schadenfreude.

In the same way I don't have much pity for Ericsson's currently struggles in Sauber after Caterham went under and his response when asked if they would make the last race or not was "I don't care about them, I found another team anyway".

But yeah, if I was a driver I simply wouldn't move teams this year, as there's the greater possibility of leaving a team which could make a leap forwards (or join a team going backwards).

Renault could surprise with a very good car next year, but then they might not and FI might pull another great car on a budget out the bag. I know some drivers see moving to Renault as a prospect at a future championship car, but, if they've been considering getting rid of both drivers this year what's to say they won't again next year?