Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Racer X wrote:The rumors with Force India are that Telmex might buy them. So we might see Force India Change ownership to Escuderia Telmex.
This rumour has been rubbished repeatedly in the media for the last week. For example:
https://twitter.com/Jamesallenonf1/stat ... 9097535489

Vasconia

edu2703 wrote:I'm not a fan of Felipe Nasr, but honestly, I think he is underrated. I saw him driving very well in GP2 and if you look at his career on Jr categories, you can see Nasr isn't just a man with cash. Despite Sauber be the worst car of the grid, he still managed to do some "small miracles" this year as your overtake over Valteri Bottas in the British GP, P12 in Baku, P1 for a moment in wet Hungarian Q1 (Finished P9 in Q1). I think he deserves a seat in a better team to seeing your real potential, what we can not see with him driving a shitbox.

I like to use Alonso as an example. What Alonso did of special when he debut in F1 by Minardi? Nothing. Their results were a little better than the results of his teammate Tarso Marques, which is clearly a bad driver. If I said in 2001 that he could become one of the best F1 drivers, people would laugh at me.

Of course I'm not trying to compare Nasr with Alonso. I'm showing that you should not use driver results to measure his talent without taking into account the performance of the car that he drives.
This is interesting because when Ricciardo was at Toro Rosso I didnt think that he was that good. But then he was moved to RB and now we all praise him. Sometimes its pretty hard to know if a driver is really good or not.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I remember one driver who was fenomenal at Minardi, but pretty average at Redbull. Our number two, Mark Webber.

But i really have no idea about Nasr. He was great in 2015, but now struggles witg Ericsson. The guys whi got beaten by a one time show of Lotterer.

Vasconia

NL_Fer wrote:I remember one driver who was fenomenal at Minardi, but pretty average at Redbull. Our number two, Mark Webber.

But i really have no idea about Nasr. He was great in 2015, but now struggles witg Ericsson. The guys whi got beaten by a one time show of Lotterer.
Mark was pretty irregular but 2010 and 2012 were good years and he achieved some good victories. He could have won in 2010 but he ruined his chances with his own errors in the last races.

edu2703
edu2703

Stroll hits F1 superlicence points target for 2017

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/strol ... 17-825835/

He gave an interview saying he feels ready to debut in F1. For me it is an indication that he will go to Williams next year.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

100% clear Williams if he now has his F1 SL points and stating he's ready.

Force India is not going to be 'taken over' yet. The deal with Aston Martin was pretty close but didn't materialize.
Which does indicate that Force India is more or less 'open' to a decent title sponsor

(after all, AM stated they didnt want to simply be a 'badge', meaning, not just being a 'sponsor' and that being it - their
collaboration with the RB F1 team suggest there is something brewing there, but that's for an entire story alltogether)

Anyway, IIRC the Sahara title sponsor deal either went sour due to 'emprisonment' stuff, or because of some other reason
- isnt it still on the car though? - and they surely would benefit from a big title sponsor - the likes of Williams with Martini,
for example.

Telmex is a big money brand, but Slim doesnt need to 'buy' the team to be main sponsor though. Telmex can be their title
sponsor. I do believe Force India would fare well under a really really thorough and big money injection. They're doing
pretty well still despite all the contraries on their path the past 1,5 year.

IF that were to happen - a really lucrative sponsorship injection, and Perez nr.1 status, paired with a 'handy helper' nr.2 driver,
FI could be a real player next year in the battle up front.

From all the teams in the field, I think i like Force India the most as the big underdog making their way up the field with the big
boys. Where did they originate from, btw? Wasn't it Jordan? Jordan > Midland > Spyker > Force India ?

I always liked the team Jordan, their entourage, etc. I really dislike Eddie to the core nowadays, can't even stand the sight of sound of the guy,
which i did not have before, but nevertheless, i liked the Jordan team. Vijay reminds me of eddie actually, as a playboy, just less 'annoying' and
with a even better posse of damsels carrying with him........

I do hope that IF FI gets taken over by someone one day, it will be of someone in the same line, breed and style (playboy).
I can see Jenson Button taking the leadership role in Mclaren in the future (not as a driver, just to be clear), but if that wasn't the case,
i htink JB would be a welcome addition there, though his playboyish charm has worn off quite much imho.

I dont know Carlos Slim though, so i dont know if he fits the bill. what is not today, may come tomorrow/next year.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Nasr in my opinion is no better than Ericsson. Neither did much in GP2, Nasr in his best season finished 3rd. The season Palmer won the title I believe.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

iotar__

Williams' rumoured and confirmed candidates are baffling. So they get rid of Massa probably for telling like it is about safety/Bianchi and what are their rumoured and confirmed choices to replace him? As random as it gets bunch:
- 37 year old Button, the choice that only would make sense with younger talent as the second driver, with Bottas it's pointless
- billionaire's teenage son, I still hope it's a joke not a candidate and they're just buying media attention - made up F1 interest, another "highly rated" by no one in particular
- Nasr who has not done anything to deserve a better car and Williams seat except for being Brazilian and looking good on posters for sponsors. Fairly competent and decent racer but why fire Massa to have him?

Nothing in common except $$$, now let me tell you about evil pay driver crashtor Maldonado... (with GP2 and F1 achievements against various competition, speed, race pace and significant costs included ofc).

ME4ME

I hope Williams goes for talent and make a deal with Mercedes to sign Wehrlein. He should bring some financial benefits as well as one year F1 experience. The other candidates either lack talent or experience. Nasr in particular hasnt impressed me at all, blaming mysterious chassi issues for his own weak performances.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Perez wants a competitive car to show his talent. FI and Williams are the same boat. He is likely to push for the 2nd seat in Ferrari next year when Kimi retires. 2017 will be good in FI for him. Now Williams will pull off something extraordinary to replace Massa for 2017. Likely choice will be Wehrlein in lieu of some technical knowhow from Toto and a more powerful PU than the rest of the customer teams.
Perez has talent and I appreciate if he gets a competitive car to show off his brilliance.

Vasconia

wickedz50 wrote:Perez wants a competitive car to show his talent. FI and Williams are the same boat. He is likely to push for the 2nd seat in Ferrari next year when Kimi retires. 2017 will be good in FI for him. Now Williams will pull off something extraordinary to replace Massa for 2017. Likely choice will be Wehrlein in lieu of some technical knowhow from Toto and a more powerful PU than the rest of the customer teams.
Perez has talent and I appreciate if he gets a competitive car to show off his brilliance.
Only 24/48 hours and we will know the thruth.

Though the Ferrari-Perez deal could be something real I see it strange to annnounce it now and no in 2017. There is no need to do it. He could say "I will be in FI in 2017" and wait to make another announcement next year.

Jolle
Jolle

Pure speculation, but could it be that Carlos Slim and Force India are working on a similar deal as Philip Morris and Ferrari? Not owning the team, but licensing the marketing rights. For a connected and wealthy person as Slim, it might even be a lucrative deal.

PlatinumZealot

iotar__ wrote:Williams' rumoured and confirmed candidates are baffling. So they get rid of Massa probably for telling like it is about safety/Bianchi and what are their rumoured and confirmed choices to replace him? As random as it gets bunch:
- 37 year old Button, the choice that only would make sense with younger talent as the second driver, with Bottas it's pointless
- billionaire's teenage son, I still hope it's a joke not a candidate and they're just buying media attention - made up F1 interest, another "highly rated" by no one in particular
- Nasr who has not done anything to deserve a better car and Williams seat except for being Brazilian and looking good on posters for sponsors. Fairly competent and decent racer but why fire Massa to have him?

Nothing in common except $$$, now let me tell you about evil pay driver crashtor Maldonado... (with GP2 and F1 achievements against various competition, speed, race pace and significant costs included ofc).
They know what they want. And what they want is the best for the team in the long term.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

can
can

For days I cant get this idea out my head:

Could Renault not try to get Hulkenberg now?
He seems to be the best alternative on the market.
Even he is not on the market.

I think he is a good alternative to Perez. FI would easier accept him leaving,
because they will not lose any sponsors with him
and they could replace him with Wehrlein.

Often it was a problem that hulk is quite tall with his 1,84 cm,
but Ocon is tall as well.

What do you think, guys?

PlatinumZealot

well my thoughts on that, RedBull had the tightest package and they ran Webber for years so Hulks height may not be much of a problem.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™