2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
F1NAC

Re: 2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

interesting to see how suddenly Ham gets more speed than Kimi at the end of the straight
https://twitter.com/Gianludale27/status ... 8168742912

diego.liv
diego.liv

F1NAC wrote:interesting to see how suddenly Ham gets more speed than Kimi at the end of the straight

Isn't that because HAM had MAS in front of him?

markc

GoodYearGrip wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
RicME85 wrote: He is intolerable with that !@*#
His car is clearly the best but he acts like it was a hard fought battle all race long.
The dude has the nerve to have a semi-erection right in everyone's faces. What a twat!

Wasn't Nico referred to as Britney by a good portion of the drivers? See here:

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/13491 ... beautiful/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR0BEt_AtlI =D>
Mark Webber was the first to call Nico "Britney" and was asked to prioritise Nico during the Williams days in Brazil - Mark's last race for them. Nico ran into Mark on the first lap breaking Mark's rear wing and Nico's front wing. Williams gave the message: "Priority Rosberg" to Mark (because you can replace a front wing, but not a rear) only for Nico to bin it in the wall moments later in the ensuing race to be first back to the pits. Mark's response to pit:
"... ... Britney's in the wall...".

Classic! What a legend!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/23073995 BBC so it holds some weight as a true story - Libel and all! Actually it's a good read up on Webber.

carisi2k

FoxHound wrote:
carisi2k wrote:Those speed traps should be proof that Paddy Lowe is telling fibs in regards to the 2016 Renault and Honda engines being better then the 2015 Ferrari engine in a straight line.
And you can prove this?
The proof is in the speeds. The numbers are there to tell you what you need to know. Yes the Renault has improved but it is by no means close to the Mercedes yet. Even with all the overtaking that Daniel did today he was still not overtaking anybody along the straight like the Mercedes powered cars were. Once in the DRS he was able to close the gap and then use the RB12's superior tyres and braking to finish the overtake. Mercedes powered cars were passing cars halfway down the straight or in Hamilton's case able to resist being overtaken on the straight until the braking area.

Hopefully the Canada update will make overtaking easier for Renault powered cars in the future but at the moment it still isn't anywhere close to the Merc and the Red Bull was making most of it's speeds in the corners. The RB12 is clearly the best chassis as it was faster in the corners even with lower downforce levels so they could keep close to the more powerful cars in a straight line. A pity about Daniel's puncture. I think a second place was lost with that puncture.

carisi2k

FoxHound wrote:
carisi2k wrote:Those speed traps should be proof that Paddy Lowe is telling fibs in regards to the 2016 Renault and Honda engines being better then the 2015 Ferrari engine in a straight line.
And you can prove this?
The Torro Rosso's are faster then the Renault and Honda powered cars is also how you can prove it. If the Honda and Renault were superior then how come both Torro Rosso's are still several KM/H faster then all 6 of those cars.

Pierce89

diego.liv wrote:
F1NAC wrote:interesting to see how suddenly Ham gets more speed than Kimi at the end of the straight

Goodness people, the video makes it clear Hamy was just too late on the brakes.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

superdowg316

Some of you might need to get your arteries checked with all this salt in the comments.

Regarding Vettel v Kvyat: Racing incident. Raikkonen nearly hit Rosberg's rear wheel in turn 1 with his wing and had to back out. Vettel saw a gap and went for it to try and pass Kimi. Daniil saw a gap as well open up between him and Vettel and took it and nearly got the job done, with his extra grip and all. Daniil then had to slow because he was running a tighter radius around the corner as it got tighter for turn 2. Vettel was wider and squared the corner better and so was faster than Daniil and heading towards the apex for turn 2, where Daniil was. Vettel was caught offguard and turned left slightly, but Kimi was coming across because he was nearly off the track at this point. Contact was made, Kimi lost his wing and Vettel suffered damage. Vettel was probably annoyed because he was embarrassed that he probably could have done that better and he felt responsible for Ferrari not being in the podium fight with two cars in front of the big boss in attendance. Kvyat was simply his way of trying to avoid drama from Sergio afterwards.

With Rosberg's celebrations, come on now, we're really that petty we have to criticise how a Mercedes driver celebrates a win? He's 37 points ahead of his nearest rival and on a winning streak, I'd be pretty happy with how things are going myself. A lot of people are saying how we need more equal cars and what not. That will never happen unless you have single make, single engine. In F1, there will always be a team or driver better than the others. The gap to Mercedes needs to be done through the hard work by the teams, and Ferrari and maybe Red Bull are doing that, not by changing the rules which will basically just make another team like McLaren or Williams or Red Bull dominant. I'd say we have more important things to worry about in F1 rather than Rosberg being happy.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

thomin

It's always sobering to see so much biased hate in here. Yes, Rosberg had an easy race, but he also had a perfect race and has every right to celebrate. Who wouldn't?
Vettel might have overreacted a bit but again, it's only natural. I also see it as a racing incident, albeit one with a somewhat reckless Kvyat. Vettel's instincts told him to swerve to the left but had he stayed on his line and collided with Kvyat, we'd be talking about the Maldonadoesque maneuver by Kvyat. Though in general I'm not a fan of all the penalties we see as of late. I rather see drivers risk something. So while I appreciate Kvyat going for it, I can totally see Vettel's point and don't blame him for it either.

As for the race: I thought it was pretty great, particularly during the first two thirds. Which I guess was also due to Kvyat's maneuver which shuffled the field a bit. Nico had a pitch perfect race but the lack of adversity obviously takes away from the performance. That's why I think Vettel was the man of the race after all. When I see him racing like this, I think back to the days of his domination and all the haters who said he could only drive from the front. But the way he sliced through the field today was brilliant and his pass around the outside of Bottas might be the best of the race.

Of course Ricciardo was also very inspired, but Vettel just had this tiny bit more dedication and energy, which is probably also manifested in his anger over Kvyat.

On the negative side: It's clear now that Williams has lost lots of ground which is very unfortunate. In the first races one might have been tempted to blame their bad strategy. I really hope they have some joker card in the pipeline, though I fear it will be a bad season for them, at least compared to the last two.

I'm not so sure regarding Haas. In all the turmoil, I didn't really follow their race. But the result certainly looks like a slight reality check after their stellar performance in the first two outings.

giantfan10
giantfan10

thomin wrote:It's always sobering to see so much biased hate in here. Yes, Rosberg had an easy race, but he also had a perfect race and has every right to celebrate. Who wouldn't?
Vettel might have overreacted a bit but again, it's only natural. I also see it as a racing incident, albeit one with a somewhat reckless Kvyat. Vettel's instincts told him to swerve to the left but had he stayed on his line and collided with Kvyat, we'd be talking about the Maldonadoesque maneuver by Kvyat. Though in general I'm not a fan of all the penalties we see as of late. I rather see drivers risk something. So while I appreciate Kvyat going for it, I can totally see Vettel's point and don't blame him for it either.

As for the race: I thought it was pretty great, particularly during the first two thirds. Which I guess was also due to Kvyat's maneuver which shuffled the field a bit. Nico had a pitch perfect race but the lack of adversity obviously takes away from the performance. That's why I think Vettel was the man of the race after all. When I see him racing like this, I think back to the days of his domination and all the haters who said he could only drive from the front. But the way he sliced through the field today was brilliant and his pass around the outside of Bottas might be the best of the race.

Of course Ricciardo was also very inspired, but Vettel just had this tiny bit more dedication and energy, which is probably also manifested in his anger over Kvyat.

On the negative side: It's clear now that Williams has lost lots of ground which is very unfortunate. In the first races one might have been tempted to blame their bad strategy. I really hope they have some joker card in the pipeline, though I fear it will be a bad season for them, at least compared to the last two.

I'm not so sure regarding Haas. In all the turmoil, I didn't really follow their race. But the result certainly looks like a slight reality check after their stellar performance in the first two outings.
Grosjean got his car damaged... front wing and other damage (i didnt pay attention) later in the GP he wanted to retire the car but the team said no we dont want to retire ..

rayden
rayden

Jesus, look out merc/ferrari, those red bulls are coming.

diego.liv
diego.liv

Pierce89 wrote:
diego.liv wrote:

My bad, i thought about speed differential from the very beginning of the DRS zone

Gothrek
Gothrek

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

GoranF1 wrote:Words can't explain how much i hate Vettel....Kvyat did absolutly nothing wrong.....Idiot!
Please rewatch again. If Vettel would have stayed his line, we would have said Kvyat was the new Maldonado. It was a bit of a reckless move. Kvyat was very lucky that Vettel choose to move a bit to the left, unfortunately Raikonnen was there. So I understands Vettels frustration.

FW17

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Gothrek wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Words can't explain how much i hate Vettel....Kvyat did absolutly nothing wrong.....Idiot!
Please rewatch again. If Vettel would have stayed his line, we would have said Kvyat was the new Maldonado. It was a bit of a reckless move. Kvyat was very lucky that Vettel choose to move a bit to the left, unfortunately Raikonnen was there. So I understands Vettels frustration.
Ferrari not backing Vettel's Kvyat rebuke

Sebastian Vettel's bosses did not rally around the German after he pointed an angry finger at rival Daniil Kvyat in China.

Vettel was furious that Red Bull youngster Kvyat's first-corner charge had resulted in him needing to jink the Ferrari left and crash into the sister red car of Kimi Raikkonen.

Vettel apologised to the team on the radio and to Raikkonen in person, but publicly fumed at Russian Kvyat just before walking onto the podium.

Ferrari team boss Maurizio Arrivabene, however, did not like the pointing of fingers.

"We should not point the finger at others," he is quoted by Bild newspaper. "This is racing, not Monopoly. But if your two drivers crash into one another, that's never good.

"Kvyat came into the corner at high speed," Arrivabene is also quoted by the Italian media, "but Seb and Kimi would have done the same in his position."

Vettel's reaction to the incident might be explained by the rare presence in the garage of the imposing and demanding Ferrari president, Sergio Marchionne.

Arrivabene admitted: "He (Marchionne) knows what racing is, and was not pleased, as I am not. I think yes, in normal circumstances we would have had a very, very good chance of winning."

Indeed, president Marchionne confirmed: "Two Ferrari drivers colliding is not very Ferrari (like), but I'm more embarrassed for them than for me, if I'm honest.

"That he (Vettel) apologised, I would have done so too, getting in this situation with someone much more experienced than him, but the good thing was that the comeback was a masterpiece, so I'm happy about that."

However, Marchionne had demanded before the season began that Ferrari must return to winning races immediately in 2016, and so far that objective has been missed.

"I see a Ferrari that is growing, and I like that," the Italian-Canadian said in China. "It is like a child that is growing up but is now and then a little petulant.

"But the car is there and we have to go on like this."
We all know it is Kimi's fault but wont say it.

AnthonyG

Before the startof the season a lot armchair teambosses said Rosberg wouldn't cope well with the new radio rules, I think so far we've seen quite the opposite. Rosberg had some luck, but he does deserve credit for his raceskill, he's in the form of his life.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

F1NAC

Pierce89 wrote:
diego.liv wrote:

they were still at full throttle at the beginning of video