2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

AnthonyG wrote:Before the startof the season a lot armchair teambosses said Rosberg wouldn't cope well with the new radio rules, I think so far we've seen quite the opposite. Rosberg had some luck, but he does deserve credit for his raceskill, he's in the form of his life.
Absolutely, he is managing better the new situation. I think that his clamer character is helping him a lot to prepare himself better for the start process and races. Last race , for example, when he overtook Lewis, this was half of his victory.

China was another fun race, the thrid in a row, with lots of battles and overtakes, I am liking this season so far, though I miss a closer battle between Mercedes and Ferrari.

Vasconia

rayden wrote:Jesus, look out merc/ferrari, those red bulls are coming.
I am amazed with their improvement. Be careful with them in the second half of this season.

Vasconia

The Kvyat-Vettel incident was a race incident but it was more a Vettel´s fault. Kvyats movement was spectacular, thats racing!.

But afterwards Sebastian did a great race with some excellent overtakes.

I can say that Kimi is back, the second position was a real chance. Lets see what happens in the next race.

I was surprised to how easily Kimi and Daniel overtook Massa when Lewis was not capable of doing the same.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

carisi2k wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
carisi2k wrote:Those speed traps should be proof that Paddy Lowe is telling fibs in regards to the 2016 Renault and Honda engines being better then the 2015 Ferrari engine in a straight line.
And you can prove this?
The Torro Rosso's are faster then the Renault and Honda powered cars is also how you can prove it. If the Honda and Renault were superior then how come both Torro Rosso's are still several KM/H faster then all 6 of those cars.
If you read Carroll Smith's Tune to Win one of the first thingss you'll learn is that if you want to go faster (top speed) you can either try and get more power from your engine, or you can make your vehicle more aerodynamically efficient. The problem is that you need a lot more power to go just a little bit faster, so it's really not even worth trying. Much better to work on aero. So top speed is much more a measure of drag than power. Evidence of this is that the Merc's hardly ever top the speed traps, while I've seen backmarkers high on the lists. And as a nod to aerodynamic efficiency, Red Bull, with Newey's input, are scoring podiums with an engine Renault themselves can't even score points with.
Last edited by ChrisDanger on 18 Apr 2016, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Vasconia

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Arrivabene admitted: "He (Marchionne) knows what racing is, and was not pleased, as I am not. I think yes, in normal circumstances we would have had a very, very good chance of winning."

Wow, this sounds too optimistc, isnt it?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Gothrek wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Words can't explain how much i hate Vettel....Kvyat did absolutly nothing wrong.....Idiot!
Please rewatch again. If Vettel would have stayed his line, we would have said Kvyat was the new Maldonado. It was a bit of a reckless move. Kvyat was very lucky that Vettel choose to move a bit to the left, unfortunately Raikonnen was there. So I understands Vettels frustration.
Kvyat held his inside line...he was not to fast or anything,Ferrari drivers went wide...both of them....why wasnt Kvyat even called by the stewards or something?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Gothrek
Gothrek

GoranF1 wrote:
Kvyat held his inside line...he was not to fast or anything,Ferrari drivers went wide...both of them....why wasnt Kvyat even called by the stewards or something?
Call them to the stewards for what? Kvyat didn't touch Vettel...
If Vettel would have stayed his line, they would have both crashed.

turbof1

Vasconia wrote:The Kvyat-Vettel incident was a race incident but it was more a Vettel´s fault. Kvyats movement was spectacular, thats racing!.

I can say that Kimi is back, the second position was a real chance. Lets see what happens in the next race.

I was surprised to how easily Kimi and Daniel overtook Massa when Lewis was not capable of doing the same.
The latter had a lot of damage to the car, including the splitter stay being broken.
#AeroFrodo

ME4ME

1. Vettel is far ahead of Kvyat

2. Kvyat carries more speed and has been able to catch Vettel. They are now side by side.

3. Kvyat sees there is a gap, and sticks to the inside line.

4. Kyvat predictably runs wide, as he is carrying a lot of speed

Vettel probably saw Kvyat coming and knew Kvyat would run wide with the speed he was carrying. Thus Vettel reacted. Maybe he over-reacted. But Kvyat did run wide. Typical racing incident but with severe consequences for Ferrari.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Gothrek wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Call them to the stewards for what? Kvyat didn't touch Vettel...
If Vettel would have stayed his line, they would have both crashed.
But Vettel 's line was wide....

basti313
basti313

I do not thing there is a black and white explanation, who is responsible for the crash. It all started from Vettel not covering the inside...in my point of view intentional as there was no close thread and he did not want to get locked to the outside in the next corner. The Redbull had plenty of grip in this med speed corner, so Kvyat could put his car next to Vettel....also nothing wrong with this. Kimi trying to get back to the line is also normal behavior.
So I think this is a completely normal racing incident, which was triggered by the grip difference of the cars involved. And I do not see a reason for apologies.
Don`t russel the hamster!

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

turbof1 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:The Kvyat-Vettel incident was a race incident but it was more a Vettel´s fault. Kvyats movement was spectacular, thats racing!.

The latter had a lot of damage to the car, including the splitter stay being broken.
And Hamilton was on older Mediums then Daniel (Also on Medium) and Kimi (on Soft). And Massa's Mediums where only 1 lap fresher then Hamiltons.. So tires and damage to the car where preventing him to defend to Kimi and Daniel.

Vasconia

What sort of damage? I thought the front wing had been changed...

A-Bap

holeindalip wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
flynfrog wrote:We just had one of the better races to watch in 2 years and you guys are crying about how the guy that won the race over celebrated. Man those grapes must be sour. I'm sure we can find something better to talk about than driver bashing.
One of the better races in 2 years? Competition, is about head on racing between almost equals. Not between one clean car ahead and the contenders with damaged cars. If that is how you like it, it smells quite differently.
I am definitely not questioning Nico's celebration, because as a driver he has been and is bound to go through tough times and whenever a victory comes, it is always worth celebrating.
100% agree, with Lewis as your teammate and being beaten every year you better relish every victory you can get
If this had been Lewis's victory, I am sure that commentators and fans would be calling his race "masterful," and "dominant." But with Nico it's a "lucky win," and "things went just his way today." The guy never seems to get proper credit for his victories, and I think he's earned it.

And if his celebrating upsets you, are you similarly bothered when other drivers to celebrate a big win? If you're OK with others celebrating, then the problem is with you, not Nico.

GoranF1
GoranF1

ME4ME wrote:1. Vettel is far ahead of Kvyat
http://i.cubeupload.com/4O2AAs.jpg

2. Kvyat carries more speed and has been able to catch Vettel. They are now side by side.
http://i.cubeupload.com/NpYKJl.jpg

3. Kvyat sees there is a gap, and sticks to the inside line.
http://i.cubeupload.com/q8aYmq.jpg

4. Kyvat predictably runs wide, as he is carrying a lot of speed
http://i.cubeupload.com/jCKB87.jpg

Vettel probably saw Kvyat coming and knew Kvyat would run wide with the speed he was carrying. Thus Vettel reacted. Maybe he over-reacted. But Kvyat did run wide. Typical racing incident but with severe consequences for Ferrari.
I think picture 3 is showing there is some blame on Kimi as well....