2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Seattle
Seattle

Re: 2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

godlameroso wrote:Can driving these cars aggrevate a fractured rib? It's not like he'll be moving much.
I broke a rib in a gokart without crashing into anything. The seat was pretty loose though. And I can't even imagine the pain he would feel from the Gs of a grand prix car with his rib already broken. I mean, the 1g of laying on my bed was very painful. So the 4-5g at Shanghai?!?! I wince thinking about it.

dans79

godlameroso wrote:Can driving these cars aggrevate a fractured rib? It's not like he'll be moving much.
I cracked 4 ribs mountain biking a few years ago, and for a month after it hurt to breath unless I was on pain killers. It was about 6 months before I felt normal again.

I have to assume every time he brakes it would be very uncomfortable.
197 104 103 7

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:I think the question is not "was the Mercedes the fastest wet weather car last year? " - rather "will it still be?"

We just don't know. We haven't seen it. I'd suggest that a mid race shower could be interesting, might add something.

If not, it seems we have to hope for the opposite: Mercedes mentioned that cooler temperatures suited them in Bahrain, so it would imply some hotter conditions would help the opposition.
I´m quite sure that this true, mainly because cold temperatures have suited Mercedes since at least 2012. At the same time high temperatures suit better Ferrari so I hope we could see a very competitive Ferrari this weekend.

Tauri_J
Tauri_J

Its gonna be around 22 degrees celsius in china for the the weekend. Should suit better for Mercs.

Vasconia

Tauri_J wrote:Its gonna be around 22 degrees celsius in china for the the weekend. Should suit better for Mercs.
And what about the rain, its coming o not?

Tauri_J
Tauri_J

Still showing Rain for saturday, could be heavy

Morteza

Hamilton posted this on his Instagram about half an hour ago:
This weekend is going to be tough. I will start with a 5 place grid penalty due to a gearbox change but because of you guys I feel energised, motivated, and confident that we can regain ground lost.
So they have changed his gearbox. That impact with Bottas may have caused that or is it a precautionary act?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

flickerf1
flickerf1

Morteza wrote:Hamilton posted this on his Instagram about half an hour ago:
This weekend is going to be tough. I will start with a 5 place grid penalty due to a gearbox change but because of you guys I feel energised, motivated, and confident that we can regain ground lost.
So they have changed his gearbox. That impact with Bottas may have caused that or is it a precautionary act?
Merc's twitter said that Lewis' gearbox sustained damage. They decided it wasn't worth the risk of further problems.
The Wicked + The Divine.

flickerf1
flickerf1

This race will probably be super boring since Nico will most likely run away with it. Lewis won't get that far because of the horrid dirty air. The only way somebody else could win would be Nico has reliability issues or the weather causes some mix up.
The Wicked + The Divine.

godlameroso

Don't be so sure, Rosberg only has to make one mistake in q3 and a Red Bull could be on pole for all we know. It's going to be wet, but it's going to be a clear beautiful(by Chinese standards) Sunday, the track is going to be warm, and it's going to let the soft tire work very well. Mercedes thinks the super soft tire will disintegrate here, and it may, the long turns are taken at high speeds and will force some kind of tire management for them to be useful in the race.
Saishū kōnā

giantfan10
giantfan10

godlameroso wrote:Don't be so sure, Rosberg only has to make one mistake in q3 and a Red Bull could be on pole for all we know. It's going to be wet, but it's going to be a clear beautiful(by Chinese standards) Sunday, the track is going to be warm, and it's going to let the soft tire work very well. Mercedes thinks the super soft tire will disintegrate here, and it may, the long turns are taken at high speeds and will force some kind of tire management for them to be useful in the race.
Even if both Red bulls are 1-2 i highly doubt they will even be leading after lap 1 . The only way red bull will be on pole is if they risk it all and go for a wet setup in qualy which would be suicide on this track with that straight in dry weather.
If there are no incidents or engine issues it will be Mercedes and Ferrari 1-2-3-4 in whatever order no matter the starting positions.Should be a chance to see which team is good on tires in this race.

carisi2k

Racer X wrote:The Updates Force India have not given them the gains they wished'. Or they have but the other teams improved as well.
That said unless they can massively develop the Car I fear Force India will be fighting someplace between 8th and 7th best cast scenario 7th and 6th'.
That said this race I see them just beneath the top 10. They just don't have the car to be in the top 10 with Williams, HAAS, Redbull Toro Rosso Ferrari and Mercedes'. Not ti mention Renault who may or may not break into the top 10. Force India and Renault a slightly behind the aforementioned teams'. I hope HAAS and Ferrari don't run into more car troubles like they have been in the last 2 races with only 1 driver finishing for each of them'. Gutierrez Kimi Vetel'. On the side of HAAS Grosjean has driven solidly and in the Ferrari each driver has stepped up to maximise the points potential when the other has car troubles'. That Ferrari Engine clearly improved but still shy from the Mercedes by a shorter margin but still behind'.

I hope Ross all the Luck in the World I wonder if he will be the new Champ with the luck he keeps running into'. (Good).

All I can do is hope Ferrari and Haas don't have car trouble so we can see them entertain and my Force India to break into the top 10'. I'm not Ferrari fan but I would like to see a fight with Mercedes it's good for the sport hereally in this race and not down the season...
Force india will be lucky to be in the top 10 once Red Bull get Kyvat up to speed with the old qualifying system back in place.

Vortex Motio
Vortex Motio

godlameroso wrote:It's going to be the warmest race of the season, temperatures will be around 26c throughout, at least it won't rain. Track temperatures will easily be in the mid to upper 30's so the soft tire may be useful. This track has much heavier tire loadings particularly the fronts.

I think a 3 stopper like Bahrain will work but it will be the soft tire with it's high working range that will work best over a 15 lap stint.
For the race (2PM local), the weather will be 21C to 20C: https://twitter.com/mecoturbo1981/statu ... 9849778176 Image

Vortex Motio
Vortex Motio

godlameroso wrote:...The pit lane loss is higher here than at other circuits which makes 3 stopping much trickier.
Some back of the napkin work... I looked at last year's race lap data for the pit-lane losses (combined the additional time of the pit in and pit out laps, vs the avg of the 2 prior and 2 following laps) for RIC, VET, and ROS. They each stopped twice.
RIC lost 22.8 & 23.2
VET lost 22.8 & 21.5
ROS lost 21.9 & 22.3
Median of the 6 stops = 22.4
Max loss = 23.2
Min loss = 21.5

carisi2k

Vortex Motio wrote:
godlameroso wrote:...The pit lane loss is higher here than at other circuits which makes 3 stopping much trickier.
Some back of the napkin work... I looked at last year's race lap data for the pit-lane losses (combined the additional time of the pit in and pit out laps, vs the avg of the 2 prior and 2 following laps) for RIC, VET, and ROS. They each stopped twice.
RIC lost 22.8 & 23.2
VET lost 22.8 & 21.5
ROS lost 21.9 & 22.3
Median of the 6 stops = 22.4
Max loss = 23.2
Min loss = 21.5
Is this for China 2015?

Ricciardo didn't matter in China last year because the Renault engine was an explosion waiting to happen. The question this year is will there be a car capable of making the super softs last. If a team can make the super softs last then a 2 stop strategy is open to them. If you can't then unless you have 2 sets of mediums spare it will look like a 3 stop strategy.