2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

Presuming we don't get rain, I actually think the tyre rule could mean a similar race to 2013 - the SS will likely degrade very quickly and so those running softs or mediums at the start will likely lead the race for a time.

The exception would be if anyone could get through Q2 on softs. We haven't seem that tried yet but I'd be surprised if - with the old qualifying format and in the dry - Mercedes don't try it on their first run at least.

Of course that all goes out the window with rain which why I hope there is none :)
Last edited by f1316 on 14 Apr 2016, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

krisfx
krisfx

dans79 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Can driving these cars aggrevate a fractured rib? It's not like he'll be moving much.
I cracked 4 ribs mountain biking a few years ago, and for a month after it hurt to breath unless I was on pain killers. It was about 6 months before I felt normal again.

I have to assume every time he brakes it would be very uncomfortable.
When they sustain heavy G under braking the belts will push into the rib cage, "It's not like he'll be moving much" is something I'd expect to hear from someone with absolutely no knowledge of F1.

henry

Vortex Motio wrote:
godlameroso wrote:...The pit lane loss is higher here than at other circuits which makes 3 stopping much trickier.
Some back of the napkin work... I looked at last year's race lap data for the pit-lane losses (combined the additional time of the pit in and pit out laps, vs the avg of the 2 prior and 2 following laps) for RIC, VET, and ROS. They each stopped twice.
RIC lost 22.8 & 23.2
VET lost 22.8 & 21.5
ROS lost 21.9 & 22.3
Median of the 6 stops = 22.4
Max loss = 23.2
Min loss = 21.5
Thanks for that.

So 24 seconds to guarantee a free pit stop, and 0.4 seconds a lap quicker to make an extra pit stop worthwhile. Two handy metrics when watching the race.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hamilton taking a 5 place grid penalty for a new gearbox. Should add the interest that Bernie craves...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hemichromis
hemichromis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36042091

Starting to feel sorry for Hamilton, Luck really isn't on his side!

WaikeCU

Don't see him having an usual race again. I expect yet again a race coming from behind and getting stuck behind cars, which he can't get by due to turbulent air. Let's say he starts 6th, I think the Williams and Toro Rosso's would probably get better off the line and he'll drop further back after turn 1-2. Looks like 3rd in a row for Rosberg this season. Not an ideal season start for Hamilton so far.

Big Mangalhit

So Hamilton can choose to attack pole and start in sixth. Or he can do a more dry-oriented setup forget about the pole, lock the second place and start in seventh but with a better race setup. I think he will do the latter since he can overtake fairly easily the sixth car in the big straight. But then again Lewis had a gap of almost 1s in 2014 quali which was also a rain quali, so maybe he can attack even with a dry-isa setup, especially because Ros will not have a wet setup for sure with the 1st place almost locked.

What do you think?

Vasconia

Big Mangalhit wrote:So Hamilton can choose to attack pole and start in sixth. Or he can do a more dry-oriented setup forget about the pole, lock the second place and start in seventh but with a better race setup. I think he will do the latter since he can overtake fairly easily the sixth car in the big straight. But then again Lewis had a gap of almost 1s in 2014 quali which was also a rain quali, so maybe he can attack even with a dry-isa setup, especially because Ros will not have a wet setup for sure with the 1st place almost locked.

What do you think?
Bad news for him and his supporters but awesome news for the rest and the spectacle.

I would choose the second one, pure dry-set up with a little bit less downforce and put the "hamer time" mode on. With Rosberg I would have doubts but with Lewis the second option is something real and he can do it. The podium is a very real thing and why not the victory?

I guess Vettel could reach the pole this weekend!

Vasconia

Vortex Motio wrote:
godlameroso wrote:It's going to be the warmest race of the season, temperatures will be around 26c throughout, at least it won't rain. Track temperatures will easily be in the mid to upper 30's so the soft tire may be useful. This track has much heavier tire loadings particularly the fronts.

I think a 3 stopper like Bahrain will work but it will be the soft tire with it's high working range that will work best over a 15 lap stint.
For the race (2PM local), the weather will be 21C to 20C:
https://twitter.com/mecoturbo1981/statu ... 9849778176
http://i.imgur.com/SI9b7KD.png
I knew it!! :twisted: at least we will enjoy a wet qualy! I hope...

basti313
basti313

I do not see these problems in China. No overtaking problems here, if Lewis does not crash, he will be on P3 before the first round of pitstops.

On the other hand the tire strategy will be interesting: Tire allocation shows many Mediums for Merc, but I see no reason to run more than one set during the race. So they will be limited on Softs. On the other hand the Supersoft will suffer too fast, so running them long like Haas did last race will not be possible,
So I guess a Haas starting on Softs may mix up the grid after lap 10...
Don`t russel the hamster!

matt_b
matt_b

It will be one of those races where by the time lewis gets through all the traffic, nico will be 20+ seconds down the road in cruise control. Fortunately the midfield battles have been great this season so its still gonna be a fun race to watch.

Vasconia

matt_b wrote:It will be one of those races where by the time lewis gets through all the traffic, nico will be 20+ seconds down the road in cruise control. Fortunately the midfield battles have been great this season so its still gonna be a fun race to watch.
I hope Ferrari can gives us some emotion if they show a good race pace.

WaikeCU

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alons ... ts-686881/

He has been cleared to drive this Weekend. Welcome back Nando! =D>

FrukostScones

WaikeCU wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alons ... ts-686881/

He has been cleared to drive this Weekend. Welcome back Nando! =D>
don't party too early
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ME4ME

I think the reality is that Hamiltons penalty will only take away the battle for the win from us. Inevitably, because the ability of his car, he'll be on the podium anyway. If it rains, hopefully Vettel can make things interesting on Saturday.