2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WaikeCU

Re: 2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

ME4ME wrote:I think the reality is that Hamiltons penalty will only take away the battle for the win from us. Inevitably, because the ability of his car, he'll be on the podium anyway. If it rains, hopefully Vettel can make things interesting on Saturday.
If in changing conditions, then the guy to look out for is either Verstappen and/or Button. If conditions are changing and luck is on his side, a podium might be up for grabs for Verstappen on Sunday.

J.No
J.No

FrukostScones wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alons ... ts-686881/

He has been cleared to drive this Weekend. Welcome back Nando! =D>
don't party too early

I hope he does, but I'm still not convinced he will, actually race. The quoted article says he's cleared to drive in FP1 and then required to have further tests before a final decision is made.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Would there be any merit in Lewis aiming for P11?

P6 on worn rubber that is likely to degrade rapidly vs. P11 on brand new, more durable tyres.

ME4ME

Fulcrum wrote:Would there be any merit in Lewis aiming for P11?

P6 on worn rubber that is likely to degrade rapidly vs. P11 on brand new, more durable tyres.
Would he qualify P11, his penalty would still apply and make him start P16.
Would he qualify P5, he would start P11, but still having to start on the tyres he used in Q2.

Vasconia

WaikeCU wrote:
ME4ME wrote:I think the reality is that Hamiltons penalty will only take away the battle for the win from us. Inevitably, because the ability of his car, he'll be on the podium anyway. If it rains, hopefully Vettel can make things interesting on Saturday.
If in changing conditions, then the guy to look out for is either Verstappen and/or Button. If conditions are changing and luck is on his side, a podium might be up for grabs for Verstappen on Sunday.
Verstappen, Sainz and Button could make interesting things. Max has the skills but Sainz and Button are more clever guys and with skills too. .

For the Pole:
1.Vettel
2. Rosberg
3. Verstappen
4. Sainz
5. Hulkenberg

Pierce89

So with Lewis'a starts this year, let's say he starts p6, after the first turn will be even be in the top 10?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

Vasconia wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
Verstappen, Sainz and Button could make interesting things. Max has the skills but Sainz and Button are more clever guys and with skills too. .

For the Pole:
1.Vettel
2. Rosberg
3. Verstappen
4. Sainz
5. Hulkenberg
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you but, where do you get the info to say Sainz is more clever than Verstappen?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

dans79

Pierce89 wrote:So with Lewis'a starts this year, let's say he starts p6, after the first turn will be even be in the top 10?
He'll be P1 just because it will annoy the people that don't like him!
197 104 103 7

Vasconia

Pierce89 wrote: Not agreeing or disagreeing with you but, where do you get the info to say Sainz is more clever than Verstappen?
Lets be more accurate, he is more mature and colder than Max, so with mixed conditions he could take better decisions than him, like Button does(another calm and mature guy).

PlatinumZealot

Big Mangalhit wrote:So Hamilton can choose to attack pole and start in sixth. Or he can do a more dry-oriented setup forget about the pole, lock the second place and start in seventh but with a better race setup. I think he will do the latter since he can overtake fairly easily the sixth car in the big straight. But then again Lewis had a gap of almost 1s in 2014 quali which was also a rain quali, so maybe he can attack even with a dry-isa setup, especially because Ros will not have a wet setup for sure with the 1st place almost locked.

What do you think?
With that same line of thought, Rosberg can do the same and bag pole, no?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Vortex Motio
Vortex Motio

Weather forecast has gone up to 22C @ 2PM local race day, looking at more recent forecasts.

In comparison:
  • Aussie GP ambient race temps were 24.7C to 22.2C (per Pirelli), w/track temps of 38.4C to 26.8C.
  • Bahrain race was 22.6C to 21.2C ambient w/track temps of 29.6C to 25.9C.
Vortex Motio wrote: For the race (2PM local), the weather will be 21C to 20C...

godlameroso

Track temperatures will easily be in the low 30's, like I said, the soft tires will work well here because the higher temperature will allow them to work without graining as much.
Saishū kōnā

cooken
cooken

Bottas saying he would try the same move again...wat? Hoping to become the new Grosjean?

Webber2011
Webber2011

WOW !

2 failed left rear tyres for Massa, the one for Magnussen all within about 20 minutes !

Red Flag.

*Edit*
Pat Symmonds reporting suspected wheel rim failures.

Magnussen possible brake or suspension failure.
He was warned of brake problems shortly before his tyre let go.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Looks like engine problems for Rosberg, was in "limp home mode" not sure how serious. Maybe driving around and around in testing actually means nothing.