2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, Thu 26 – Sun 29 May

When I first saw tyre selection, I wondered why Ferrari bothered with the two sets of soft but I now wonder if it could be an advantage.

Ultra soft is surely not going to last long - 10 laps or so. Supersofts surely can't do 60 laps, which leads us to a two stopper, but if you have a new set of softs available, these have been said to be able to run all day in recent years. So a one stopper is presumably an option?

Equally, surely you need two sets for this option to be available to you? You need to run them in practice to have the data on which to base such a strategy.

If this is an option that gains you track position then surely Ferrari will take it - we saw in 2011 that it doesn't matter if it's slower, only that you're ahead of your rivals.

Vasconia

I think it depends on the temperatures. Ferrari is hoping for hot temperatures where to have an extra soft tyre could give them an advantage but I am quite skeptical with this.

The most interesting thing is too see if RB can challenge one of the Mercedes for the second position. It could be interesting to see a Mercedes trying to overtake a RB, which is almost impossible on this track.

godlameroso

It's going to be relatively mild, mid 20's 25-26c. Don't rule out rain just yet, it's very hard to predict the weather in that area because of the mountains and the air and water currents. It can come without warning. So i'm going to give it a 15% chance for a damp race, and 10% chance for a wet qualifying.
Saishū kōnā

FrukostScones

so RIC gets the upgrade Renault PU...?!?

P1 for him then, in qualy and race. unless RB is set back by FIA tyre pressure anti-cheat-initiatve
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

turbof1 wrote:
Let me break down how this 'discussion' will go: someone will come with "Yo Hamilton is da sh*t dog, he just got cheesed by Rottenberg." then someone will come and say "Yo Rosberg is da sh*t dog, Hamsterton couldn't even fit in the tiniest of holes." a third person will come along randomly calling people both haterboys, fanboys and DonaldThrumpboys (Donald Drumpf for the DonaldTrumphaterboys)
WTF have you been smoking Mr Mod? :lol:

Funniest thing I've read in a while. Hamsterton and Rottenberg. Love it!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SectorOne

I´m quite looking forward in seeing how fast the cars can go with the ultrasoft around here.
They did 1,15´s last year, shave 1,5-2 seconds off that and you´re not far from the absolute lap record if i´m not mistaken.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

StrikeForceF1
StrikeForceF1

FrukostScones wrote:so RIC gets the upgrade Renault PU...?!?

P1 for him then, in qualy and race. unless RB is set back by FIA tyre pressure anti-cheat-initiatve
Seriously.. In one race Redbull have not only leapfrogged Ferrari but they have Leapfrogged Mercedes too. Do you honestly believe that..sure Redbull had a strong race last race but do u really believe they are the class of the field..I agree thay will be alot closer to the top but I would rather say that its going to be a duel between the top 3 teams in Monaco.

Mr. Fahrenheit

A track where the delta between car performances is smaller so the driver contributes a few % more to lap time. Still, a trouble-free weekend for either Mercedes and I'd expect one to be on pole. Whoever is on pole wins the race. 2nd row shoot-out between Red Bull and Ferrari. If Ferrari can keep all their plates spinning in the right direction they'll be ahead of RBR and the first to capitalise on any mistakes by Mercedes. Both McLarens in Q3.

FrukostScones

StrikeForceF1 wrote:

Seriously.. In one race Redbull have not only leapfrogged Ferrari but they have Leapfrogged Mercedes too. Do you honestly believe that..sure Redbull had a strong race last race but do u really believe they are the class of the field..I agree thay will be alot closer to the top but I would rather say that its going to be a duel between the top 3 teams in Monaco.
; ) of course I don't believe this; if everything runs uneventful then it is surely a Merc on P1 in qualy and race.

but sometimes you have to play with reality...for fun and reality ruptures.

I also like Manhoua*S script a page or so back =D>

PS: and Monaco is usually a borefest,without the HAM/mercTeam facepalm it would have been a 1/10 last year.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

StrikeForceF1
StrikeForceF1

FrukostScones wrote:
StrikeForceF1 wrote:

; ) of course I don't believe this; if everything runs uneventful then it is surely a Merc on P1 in qualy and race.

but sometimes you have to play with reality...for fun and reality ruptures.

I also like Manhoua*S script a page or so back =D>

PS: and Monaco is usually a borefest,without the HAM/mercTeam facepalm it would have been a 1/10 last year.
Fairpoint... just you sounded so certain that I had to respond.. anyway from what i seen of barcelona I don't believe the Redbull chasis is significantly better than the Ferrari.. I would still rate the Ferrari better... however the Ferrari team needs to FOCUS ! ! ... I hope too that this race throws up some people in unusual grid positions so it won't be a Merc borefest

godlameroso

I'll laugh if Mclaren end up on the podium by some miracle, ehh if it's going to happen anywhere it's here.
Saishū kōnā

basti313
basti313

f1316 wrote: Equally, surely you need two sets for this option to be available to you? You need to run them in practice to have the data on which to base such a strategy.

If this is an option that gains you track position then surely Ferrari will take it - we saw in 2011 that it doesn't matter if it's slower, only that you're ahead of your rivals.
No need for testing the Softs. Like in Oz they will run them without testing if needed. They will set the car for US in any case.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SR71

Renault bringing upgraded PU.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/20/r ... rd-monaco/

Will Red Bull get one? If they only get one, is Max priority? Can't wait to see how this unfolds!

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

SR71 wrote:Renault bringing upgraded PU.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/20/r ... rd-monaco/

Will Red Bull get one? If they only get one, is Max priority? Can't wait to see how this unfolds!
My guess would be Ricciardo for RBR and Magnussen for Renault. If they split the two new engines available.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

100% Hamilton's race, bar mechanical problems / accidents. Revenge week.