[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

The power of the engine gets reduced often flow through the cooling isn't high enough.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

CAEdevice

LETOUZE wrote:hello, I do not understand the column "power" (100; 73.0; 94.1; etc..... ) %

you can not use the engine at 100% if you degrade the aero?

welcome Patrick
The engine power is inluenced by cooling efficiency and engine inlet/outlets(exhuasts) pressure.

Edit: sorry I did not notice RicME answer

RicME85

etsmc wrote:so I got in this morning to check my simulation and it has completed and am able to do the post processing on it to get the downforce, flow and CoP but opening the case.foam in ParaView I don't get the different mesh regions like the image below
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/522 ... 922_02.jpg

all I get are the ones that start with auto and the internal mesh. could it be anything to do with the mvrc_fast option??
I am using ParaView 3.98.1 64bit
I have just gone to look at the results from Matteo's free to download car and I also only had the auto_ files. What I did was I ticked all the boxes including internal mesh and let it load, after that the other files appeared.

RicME85

Thats the car I am working on. As I said the other page, its based on Matteo's free to download car but looks different enough.
Next step is to test it and find out what performance it has,

I have a question about the MantiumFlow results and inputting them into Virtual Stopwatch, how do we work out 'Cooling Differential'?

CAEdevice

There is a new release of VST, LDVH posted it above.

You did a great job with the car, it is completely changed! It looks promising.

CAEdevice

RicME85

Thanks Matteo.

Right, so how do you get the cooling flow figure? It might be a new version but it essentially has just changed the title of the box Im looking to input data in :D

This is the data I have got from running the Input_Files you uploaded:

Code: Select all

Cd*A: 1.58637, Cl*A: -4.51155, Cl(frt)*A: -0.784927, Cl(rr)*A: -3.72662, CoP: 2.47805 m
engine_intake, 7.47831[Pa*m^2]
engine_exhaust, -1.67451[Pa*m^2]
mSurf_cooling_inlet, 3.01389[m^3/s]
mSurf_cooling_outlet, -3.08905[m^3/s]
I assume there is some calculation you have to do to get the cooling flow?

CAEdevice

The cooling flow is that quantity measured in [m^3/s]. Inlet and outlet flow would converge to the same value with a very refined stl and mesh.

CAEdevice

You need to run the utility used for the post processing (I don't remember its name), to get the CoP (with VST you have to use the average between the computed CoP and 1,65).

RicME85

Those figures are from the utility

LVDH

Cool car RicME. You turned Matteo's car into something that clearly looks like a RicMEMotorsport style car.
To work with the numbers you now have you just have to follow Matteo's advice. Go to the new virtual stop watch link:
http://www.competition-car-engineering. ... Timing.htm
You will find a field for the number you get from my tool. Enter them and hit the Start button.

variante

CAEdevice wrote:...to get the CoP (with VST you have to use the average between the computed CoP and 1,65).
It's not the average anymore. In MVRC it's the computed CoP minus/plus 0,05m (depending on what you need).

RicME85

LVDH wrote:Cool car RicME. You turned Matteo's car into something that clearly looks like a RicMEMotorsport style car.
To work with the numbers you now have you just have to follow Matteo's advice. Go to the new virtual stop watch link:
http://www.competition-car-engineering. ... Timing.htm
You will find a field for the number you get from my tool. Enter them and hit the Start button.
Thanks. I get how to use everything, my issue was with the cooling section of virtual stopwatch and the fact that I had a figure for inlet and outlet with a positive and a negative figure but virtual stopwatch only has a single input box for cooling.
Matteo said that the inlet/outlet figure should converge with a better mesh, should I be doing what you suggested to Matteo recently about editing the MantiumFlow settings to produce a better mesh as I used the slower test for these figures.

CAEdevice

Not only a better mesh, also a better (more refined) stl. But it is not worth to obtain a perfect convergence: the most important thing is that both inlet and outlet flow are above 1,5m^3/s (x2).
Last edited by CAEdevice on 24 Sep 2016, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

RicME85

Re: RE: Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

CAEdevice wrote:Not only a better mesh, also a better (more refined) stl. But it is not worth to obtain a perfect convergence: the most important thing is that both inlet and outlet flow are above 1,5m^3/s (x2).
Should the outlet be positive though?