[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

3D Builder is great for loading up STL files quickly.
Your car has definitely lost that Audi LMP1 look.
I have uploaded my car, not sure how well it will do. Did a test with the version I posted a picture of in here and it had lost some rear downforce but it did have a COP that was slightly further forward that Matteos car originally had. Im not sure if the engine is getting enough air though. I have changed the rear wing and its supports from the version I posted and have also change the front wing plus removed the wing that was between the exhaust pipes.

CAEdevice

It will be very interesting to see the perfomance of your car. I tried with an upper wing similar to yours, but I could not make it work.

LVDH

Cool cars guys,
Esp. the Pure Power Racing entry looks every promising. And as he sent it well in advance this time at least one penalty from the last race will not apply. I think that car will climb a few positions.
This 3D Builder stuff looks promising as well. Could somebody maybe write an article on how to design a car with it?

Alonso Fan

I don't think you can design anything with it. It's a 3d printing program designed to open and send .stl files to 3d printers as far as I know.

I only use it for opening .stl files quickly to check their integrity. It displays them in a nice way compared to paraview and meshlab and co
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RicME85

Can do basic editing.
It's this - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p ... zdncrfj3t6
Can use a webcam or Kinect to produce 3D images.
It's just far easier and quicker for us Sketchup users to load STL files and do a basic render

RicME85

Re: RE: Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

CAEdevice wrote:It will be very interesting to see the perfomance of your car. I tried with an upper wing similar to yours, but I could not make it work.
Yeah will be interesting.
Think the key will be if you can get it high enough that it doesn't interact with the flow that goes under the suspension covers to feed the intake and not too high that it disturbs airflow over the car to the rear.

LVDH

I just downloaded the newest uploads. I think one thing is for sure, the number of guiding vanes is growing. This is cool to see as it shows how you guys are more and more working on small details. If they are all effective will be seen very soon...

AratzH

I think I made it before the deadline!

Not big changes, just trying to improve balance(extra front wing element) and some tweaks to avoid cooling issues.

I think I fixed all non compliant parts, but I cannot be sure of the orientation thing, for some reason SW keeps moving my models around..

And the necessary picture:

MVRC -> TF

TalnoRacing

AratzH wrote:I think I made it before the deadline!

Not big changes, just trying to improve balance(extra front wing element) and some tweaks to avoid cooling issues.

I think I fixed all non compliant parts, but I cannot be sure of the orientation thing, for some reason SW keeps moving my models around..

And the necessary picture:

https://s12.postimg.org/vdfeocah9/Captura.jpg
Do you save STL files directly from Solidworks?

CAEdevice

It's my turn to show the car for Nurburgring with 3D Builder:

I am not very happy with the evolution between Race 1 and Race 2: indipendentely from the final result (my podium guess is: 1-HP-Racing, 2-JJR, 3-Variante) I think that there are much many things to learn about the flow behaviour underfloor and that the present level of development is quite rough.

LVDH

Ten cars arrived for the race:
Better quality can be found here:
http://mantiumchallenge.com/renders-mvr ... ring-2016/

CAEdevice

Welcome back RicME!

I haven't understand very much about the cars because the images run too fast, but it looks like everybody tried to have a more direct flow on the cooling inlets.

RicME85

:)

Click the better quality link at the bottom of LVDH's post and the images go slower and show more of the cars

AratzH

Do you save STL files directly from Solidworks?[/quote]

I do. I usually make an assembly with the rule parts and then insert my components inside. Within SW they are all oriented the same way, but when I export I have to cut up the main model to get the high resolution surfaces and other stuff. I think that is where the orientation gets lost.

Somehow for KVRC I managed to solve it, but the same procedure is not working for MVRC...
MVRC -> TF

TalnoRacing

AratzH wrote:
TalnoRacing wrote:Do you save STL files directly from Solidworks?
I do. I usually make an assembly with the rule parts and then insert my components inside. Within SW they are all oriented the same way, but when I export I have to cut up the main model to get the high resolution surfaces and other stuff. I think that is where the orientation gets lost.

Somehow for KVRC I managed to solve it, but the same procedure is not working for MVRC
Make sure you select the following option in the "options" tab when saving the STL. Otherwise Solidworks will change the orientation of the model.