Race/Quali difference

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
kkobayash

Race/Quali difference

I know that the difference in pace of the Honda between quali, where it is one of the quickest around the circuit, to race, where it is midfield (unfortunately, but true i must admit), is largely due to a low fuel load during quali right?.

But i have been reading alot about how the car just does not have long run pace(mentioned by button, barrichello, de farrin, fry etc.), and that is one of the key areas that they are trying to fix. However, what i want to know is, how can a car (apparently) have pace in a single lap but not in long runs. Is this something to do with setup of the car? or the actual characteristics of it? and if so what characteristics/setups?

Also, abit OT, there has been alot said about Barrichello not 'suited to the car', in terms of brakes, TC etc. etc. Surely rubens is a good enough driver that these simple things could not affect him that much!! What i want to know is, when they say not suited to the car, what exactly is this implying?? Or is this the million dollar question that everyone wnts to know. :wink:

vyselegend

I don't know if it can be an answear, but maybe they have difficulties to find a "flexible" car. I mean, a car that is good in heavy load set up, but improves (or at least stays good) with nearly empty fuel tanks. Maybe when their car's suspentions are stiffened for heavy runs, it become too much stiff as a set up when becomes lighter, wich leads'em to do compromises, or even prevent them to go for long runs. For sure it has to do with tires management through the race as well (cause tires are involved in almost everything), but I don't remember hearing the Honda would be hard with its tires, actually I think I heard the contrary. Sorry if I didn't help, just an opinion.

RH1300S
RH1300S

I suppose it's better to have that problem than a car that is dog slow everywhere.

I suspect a mix of things. The car's pace must boil down to tyre management, I don't know if it underworks or overworks it's tyres in a stint.

I think the lack of race pace has something to do with the pitwall too....

I have read that BAR have been taking a different choice of tyre to the Michelin "prime" in every race so far; are they chasing a good grid slot at the expense of the race? (even if they do it unconsciously). Also, in a race they seem to lose pace with traffic and all sorts.

Probably a lot of little things coming together to slow them down.

I don't think there can be too many excuses for Rubens; he is being paid as a man with race winning experience and expected to bring something to the team. He's no rookies, so shouldn't be cut much slack at all. I bet MS/Alonso/Kimi/Rosberg would have been straight on the pace ;)

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

For the final qualifying session, the cars start the session with a stated amount of fuel, which will be the same on race start. So Button (and everyone else) go immediately out and do lap after lap burning off fuel. Then, with about five minutes remaining, they pit, put on a fresh set of their best tires, and go out to do serious qualifying time. They put in one or two hard laps to bring the tires to heat, then do the one (or if lucky, two) serious qualifying lap. So although on paper the drivers have twenty minutes to make a qualifying effort, in reality they have just one, maybe two golden laps. They have fifteen to twenty minutes of fuel burned off, so they are relatively low on fuel weight. And for the golden period, with that small fuel load and a few warm up laps, Button and the Honda shine. But obviously, right now, anything out of those parameters the car is not as competitive. Worn tires, cold tires, heavy with fuel, and the Honda does not perform as well as it's competitors.
Different cars have different characteristics. Reubens has spent many years leaning how to get a Ferrari around the track. Now, in the Honda he has to unlearn some old habits, and learn new ones. Obviously, he's not adapting quickly.

Ciro Pabón

DaveKillens wrote:... And for the golden period, with that small fuel load and a few warm up laps, Button and the Honda shine. But obviously, right now, anything out of those parameters the car is not as competitive.
I have wondered why Button has the custom of "going for a time" first in qualifications, a role he stole from extinct Minardi. Now DaveKillen's theory adds a little confusion. Thanks for nothing, Dave! :D
Ciro

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

For instance if the Honda has (purely guesswork, but just to illustrate) a higher polar moment of inertia than it's competitors, it would put more heat into the tires. But prolonged running would cause a more rapid deterioration of the tire, with the result being losing pace to the rest.

mini696

It could be that the car can be bullied around the track to get out a banzai lap, yet to do that over a race distance is dangerous and to close to the limit.