2016 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 07-09 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 07-09 October

For the championship´s sake it would be better to see a dry race but lets be sincere, a wet race in Suzuka could be awesome. But we have those Pirelli and Charlie W. Expect dozens of laps behind the SF. #-o

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I kindof remember some similar circumstances on the all too painful Bianchi fatal incident weekend.

I think dozens of laps behind the SF is not something to slap the head with, but something neccesary and atleast showing some respect for the loss of life because that was exactly what did not happen and lead to the death of JB17.

I'm hoping on a rain race, and i'm hoping on a Hamilton pole and win. Not just because of last weekends' terrible outcome for poor Lewis, but because A) he should ge some luck on his side and B) it would benefit everybody to see a championship still alive.

Rosberg has had way too much coming his way and luck this year compared to Lewis, so it may sound harsh, but i'd like to see him get some worse end this weekend. A DNF would be welcome or at the very least not get on the podium. I was hoping to see something like that in last weekends GP, with rosberg falling behind (imagine his luck how that car did not break it's rear suspension or its front suspension when foolishly hammering into Kimi), and a Ricciardo or Verstappen win. VES 1, RIC 2, HAM 3 with ROS 8 or 9 would have been my dream outcome last race.

I hope lewis will win the JAP GP and ROS gets a DNF. again, just to have a title tension.

Preferably, Lewis with pole and a 'easy' win dustoff into the distance, and a P3 qually for Rosberg or perhaps P5 due to circumstances or some tech issues, and a collision with a driver at 1st lap
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:I kindof remember some similar circumstances on the all too painful Bianchi fatal incident weekend.

I think dozens of laps behind the SF is not something to slap the head with, but something neccesary and atleast showing some respect for the loss of life because that was exactly what did not happen and lead to the death of JB17.

I'm hoping on a rain race, and i'm hoping on a Hamilton pole and win. Not just because of last weekends' terrible outcome for poor Lewis, but because A) he should ge some luck on his side and B) it would benefit everybody to see a championship still alive.

Rosberg has had way too much coming his way and luck this year compared to Lewis, so it may sound harsh, but i'd like to see him get some worse end this weekend. A DNF would be welcome or at the very least not get on the podium. I was hoping to see something like that in last weekends GP, with rosberg falling behind (imagine his luck how that car did not break it's rear suspension or its front suspension when foolishly hammering into Kimi), and a Ricciardo or Verstappen win. VES 1, RIC 2, HAM 3 with ROS 8 or 9 would have been my dream outcome last race.

I hope lewis will win the JAP GP and ROS gets a DNF. again, just to have a title tension.

Preferably, Lewis with pole and a 'easy' win dustoff into the distance, and a P3 qually for Rosberg or perhaps P5 due to circumstances or some tech issues, and a collision with a driver at 1st lap
Bianchi´s death was terrible but races cannot be stopped because of this. If there is an accident I agree that the SC should be released but we cant start every single race with the SC when it rains. This is not F1.

This is a very sad way to support a driver but its up to you. With some luck(no mechanical failures) Lewis can win the WC if he win the next races. He can do it, there are no excuses.

I would be happy if Rosberg wins the WC but if it rains in Suzuka and Lewis do his best I would be happy as a F1 fan.

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Manoah2u wrote:I kindof remember some similar circumstances on the all too painful Bianchi fatal incident weekend.

We're all very sorry for JB17, but that was not the case.
When a race starts, there are no cranes (or other dangerous to crash in machines) at the track, so there is no need for a safety car.

majki2111

AnthonyG wrote:
majki2111 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Best driver´s track ever designed in my opinion. The flow is just incredible around here.
Wow. The track with most flow for me is Singapore. Especially sector 2. It really shows how relative our feelings are.

Also Suzuka one of my least favorite tracks.
I think it's one of the most authentic tracks left on the calendar.

And the way it flows, diving into turn 1-2 and that section after the S's where the track gets so small and goes under the bridge. You can overtake in the slow corners and on the straight with that insane turn 1.
And how it never seems to go straight, praticaly each "straight" has some kind of radius to it. Hard, but not enough to prevent the car behind from folowing.

How can one not love this track, it's truly epic. :D
I cant disagree more. For me its fast corners just thrown like : "let me put one fast there and there and there". With no sense. Singapore its just the opposite. Very imaginative way for producing track.

SectorOne

AnthonyG wrote:
majki2111 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Best driver´s track ever designed in my opinion. The flow is just incredible around here.
Wow. The track with most flow for me is Singapore. Especially sector 2. It really shows how relative our feelings are.

Also Suzuka one of my least favorite tracks.
I think it's one of the most authentic tracks left on the calendar.

And the way it flows, diving into turn 1-2 and that section after the S's where the track gets so small and goes under the bridge. You can overtake in the slow corners and on the straight with that insane turn 1.
And how it never seems to go straight, praticaly each "straight" has some kind of radius to it. Hard, but not enough to prevent the car behind from folowing.

How can one not love this track, it's truly epic. :D
Yea it´s truly spectacular in every way.

Turn 1, The Esses, Dunlop curve, Degner curve, Spoon Curves, 130R are just some of the finest pieces of roads ever designed.
Also the fact that it´s a figure eight layout makes it even cooler.

It has elevation, it has flow, it has unique features.
Also it´s deceptively tricky with last Spoon curve falling away as you try to get on the power, same with out of last chicane, road is turning and falling off making it super tricky to put down the power.

Singapore?? Bah.
How someone can claim 90 degree corners followed by straights as flowing is beyond me.

Best way i would describe SPA vs Suzuka is at SPA you´re always waiting for the good bits whereas in Suzuka you´re always on the good bits.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

majki2111

SectorOne wrote:Singapore?? Bah.
How someone can claim 90 degree corners followed by straights as flowing is beyond me.

Best way i would describe SPA vs Suzuka is at SPA you´re always waiting for the good bits whereas in Suzuka you´re always on the good bits.
No only the curves it self, bu how the track goes. I watch how those curves make a track. Abu Dhabi for example, for me does not have flow. It is 90 deegres thrown just as fast ones are in Suzuka for me.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

k.ko100v wrote:

When a race starts, there are no cranes (or other dangerous to crash in machines) at the track, so there is no need for a safety car.
actually it was the case.
The incident with Sutil demanded a safety car. a VSC would have probably saved his life. A safety car for sure.
The problem with the whole situation was not neccesarily the SC or the truck, though these were parts that lead up to the tragic and fully avoidable event.

It started with the very same beginning, a typhoon blowing of japan. It cause the race to be delayed, which in turn resulted the race was reaching the latter part in increasing darkness, with no lighting like night tracks to provide decent illumination, paired to increasing rainfall downpour. The race should have been flagged down before, or atleast decided to run behind the safety car to see if it's worth continuing without immediately ending the race. it also would have made sure that ending the race would have been much easier.

The safety car is there to see how the track behaves in these conditions, above all, how the cars behave and to get the drivers 'accostumed' to the situation. If cars have the biggest trouble keeping on track - and the safety car too - it's clear as day the race simply can't start yet. If it turns out that despite the heavy rain, there's room enough for the drivers to keep the cars under control and get the race under away, then get it on the way. Driving also more or less influences the track to 'dry' it out a bit and warm the tires up.

If one isn't careful, things can repeat. And the weather ingredients are starting to get in place for a 2014 repeat of circumstances that back then, were part of which lead to the crash of Jules.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Vasconia wrote:

Bianchi´s death was terrible but races cannot be stopped because of this. If there is an accident I agree that the SC should be released but we cant start every single race with the SC when it rains. This is not F1.

This is a very sad way to support a driver but its up to you. With some luck(no mechanical failures) Lewis can win the WC if he win the next races. He can do it, there are no excuses.

I would be happy if Rosberg wins the WC but if it rains in Suzuka and Lewis do his best I would be happy as a F1 fan.
I did not say it needs to be stopped because a driver died once. The race should have been stopped when it was past a point where all the points would be given, and drivers were complaining on visibility and safety. It didn't neccesarily need to never be run, it should however be shortened that day.
And there is a difference in rain, and in typhoon downpour.

It's not sad supporting, it's sad that lewis has had this bad luck and his opponent is running wild and free.
It would however make his title worth a lot more when he actually grabs it though. But even with a Win and a DNF for Rosberg, he's just 2 points ahead, and the game is still fully open.

If lewis hadn't had so much bad luck, he'd be miles ahead with points.

SameSame
SameSame

Manoah2u wrote:d not say it needs to be stopped because a driver died once. The race should have been stopped when it was past a point where all the points would be given, and drivers were complaining on visibility and safety. It didn't neccesarily need to never be run, it should however be shortened that day.
If I remember correctly Bianchi crashed on the intermediate tyre.

iotar__

k.ko100v wrote:

I don't have a problem with SC starts, it's just waiting for better conditions but with movement and while clearing track. I'd like to see only one modification, anyone who shouts for 5 minutes that it's intermediates time but doesn't pit and stays on full wets gets an automatic penalty. Put up or shut up. It would stop annoying yapping =P~ .

Vasconia

SameSame wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:d not say it needs to be stopped because a driver died once. The race should have been stopped when it was past a point where all the points would be given, and drivers were complaining on visibility and safety. It didn't neccesarily need to never be run, it should however be shortened that day.
And the conditions werent that bad. His death was a result of a tremendous bad luck. Anyway the proccedures to reléase a crashed car needed to be changed. Now we have the VSC and things seem to work better.

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Manoah2u wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:

actually it was the case.
The incident with Sutil demanded a safety car. a VSC would have probably saved his life. A safety car for sure.
The problem with the whole situation was not neccesarily the SC or the truck, though these were parts that lead up to the tragic and fully avoidable event.

It started with the very same beginning, a typhoon blowing of japan. It cause the race to be delayed, which in turn resulted the race was reaching the latter part in increasing darkness, with no lighting like night tracks to provide decent illumination, paired to increasing rainfall downpour. The race should have been flagged down before, or atleast decided to run behind the safety car to see if it's worth continuing without immediately ending the race. it also would have made sure that ending the race would have been much easier.

The safety car is there to see how the track behaves in these conditions, above all, how the cars behave and to get the drivers 'accostumed' to the situation. If cars have the biggest trouble keeping on track - and the safety car too - it's clear as day the race simply can't start yet. If it turns out that despite the heavy rain, there's room enough for the drivers to keep the cars under control and get the race under away, then get it on the way. Driving also more or less influences the track to 'dry' it out a bit and warm the tires up.

If one isn't careful, things can repeat. And the weather ingredients are starting to get in place for a 2014 repeat of circumstances that back then, were part of which lead to the crash of Jules.
The start procedure in wet conditions (with or without SC), has nothing to do with the case of JB17. The only common between them is the wet conditions. We cannot even compare, the wetness between the two cases.
What I wanted to say is, that sometimes they are taking too much laps behind SC, and after that, starts with inters.
You are wright for the other factors, which may had or not some impact, for the accident. The wetness, the wind, the light, the accident with Sutil.
For me the things are very simple. There are no places for any trucks, in any weather conditions, during a race, in race pace. Cars may loses control even in a full dry, full light, track with brand new tires.

This is my opinion and sorry for my English.

SameSame
SameSame

Vasconia wrote:
SameSame wrote:
And the conditions werent that bad. His death was a result of a tremendous bad luck. Anyway the proccedures to reléase a crashed car needed to be changed. Now we have the VSC and things seem to work better.
Agreed. The VSC was a brilliant idea.

basti313
basti313

Vasconia wrote:
SameSame wrote:
Yes, I wonder why there were so much talking about his death in the wrong direction. The car went flying under double waved yellows as he passed the yellows much too fast like any other car. One year later the double yellow got not strengthened, but even more ignored. I do not think this is a respectful way to deal with it.

And I think the VSC is not really useful. Other racing series have something similar for single sectors. What is the reason for a VSC for the full track? And we should not forget how the VSC was born...it was introduced, because stupid rule changes were leading to much too long SC phases.
In my point of view they just need to shorten the SC phases again. The simple solution would be to sack the stupid overtaking of the lapped cars and to close the pits. Like this the SC can collect all cars within one lap and come in one lap later on incidents like we saw last Sunday.
Don`t russel the hamster!