2016 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 07-09 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: 2016 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 07-09 October

If that was the case, then Lewis would never ever said he might sit out free practice.
He might be saving, to make sure he still has engine(s) left for qually and / or races alltogether.
re-using an engine vs installing a 'fresh' one could define the outcome of the championship in the end, after all.

Still, the margin is too small to say he's really taking an effort to save, indeed.

He might be influenced by the past events though, so his focus might be 'off'. Which is not good news, as last weekend he got 'complimented' or it got noted they haven't
seen him 'as focused' as he was the entire season until that point.

Please lewis, jump back even stronger.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GPR-A duplicate2

Manoah2u wrote:If that was the case, then Lewis would never ever said he might sit out free practice.
He might be saving, to make sure he still has engine(s) left for qually and / or races alltogether.
re-using an engine vs installing a 'fresh' one could define the outcome of the championship in the end, after all.

Still, the margin is too small to say he's really taking an effort to save, indeed.

He might be influenced by the past events though, so his focus might be 'off'. Which is not good news, as last weekend he got 'complimented' or it got noted they haven't
seen him 'as focused' as he was the entire season until that point.

Please lewis, jump back even stronger.
He said, he is ready to sit out of free practice in the context that, after the POST-MORTEM of the failed engine if the team has figured out something that tells them to lessen the usage, then he is ready to do so.

basti313
basti313

Manoah2u wrote:If that was the case, then Lewis would never ever said he might sit out free practice.
Wasn't this one of the things he said right after the race which were all calles nonsense later?
Manoah2u wrote: Please lewis, jump back even stronger.
I sometimes laugh about the fanboy ying yang here. You accusing others of fanboyism was one of the best laughs in this manner last week. Thanks, keep it up. =D> :mrgreen:
Don`t russel the hamster!

GPR-A duplicate2

Phil wrote:Regarding Lewis at the press conference: I mirror Schuttelbergs sentiments. I can't remember Lewis ever being that way at a press conference. Makes one wonder what is going on "behind the scenes". I hope he can channel some of what he must be feeling inside into a perfect qualifying and race. Rosberg certainly seems to strong again this weekend, though he always is at Suzuka.
I think the matter of press conference is getting dragged on too much. It isn't that Lewis has been out of sync with these press conferences recently, it has been a while. Just that, this time he was sarcastic.

In any case, anyone who wants to listen to a driver talking, Lewis shouldn't be in that list. He is simply someone who doesn't make any sense, despite having grown a great deal since joining Mercedes. He is awesome, just in an F1 car, rest, just forget it.

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

basti313 wrote:No, they are both on engines, which will not be used for races anymore. Ham on engine 1, 2 or 3 and Ros on engine 1 or 2 (nr. 3 died in Baku), if I count correctly.
Ham will race engines 5 (Spa) and 6 (Monza) till the end as nr. 4 died. Ros will race Nr. 4 in Japan (mounted in Spa) and will use Nr. 5 from USA on.
Thanks for clearing that up. Hamilton said something like doing less in practices for saving engines so I thought how would drive less laps or quit earlier.. But When I see the speedtraps he's faster so not taking it easier on the engine I guess..

iotar__

basti313 wrote:
Wasn't this one of the things he said right after the race which were all calles nonsense later?
To create drama and attention but some are treating it literally and as gospel. "Would never ever" - yes he IMO would ;-).

I didn't watch FP but from laptimes and AmuS:
- RB equal to Merc on long runs
- hard tyres better than mediums

- Force India quick
- Anyone (Merc) using mediums for Q2? I don't think so, gaps are small and they have plenty of softs for that.

GPR-A duplicate2

iotar__ wrote:- RB equal to Merc on long runs
It was the same story in Malaysia too and in race, while Lewis was simply dominating, Nico was coming thorugh the field quite easily. So, Friday times are just Friday times.
iotar__ wrote:- hard tyres better than mediums
What was PIRELLI thinking when they made the Medium and UltraSoft tyres? They take those compounds out, doesn't make any difference in racing.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

basti313 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote: Please lewis, jump back even stronger.
I sometimes laugh about the fanboy ying yang here. You accusing others of fanboyism was one of the best laughs in this manner last week. Thanks, keep it up. =D> :mrgreen:
so what do you want, a worn down lewis and a free gift to nico, or a absolutely exciting last race?

If lewis wants to win the championship, he MUST win all next races and nico come in 2nd every time.
If Nico is second every next race, but only 1 race Nico wins and Lewis is 2nd, Nico wins the WDC.
He'll have to go all out to make sure he wins. That's POLE + WIN to make it - unless nico gets a DNF.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

basti313
basti313

GPR-A wrote:
iotar__ wrote:- hard tyres better than mediums
What was PIRELLI thinking when they made the Medium and UltraSoft tyres? They take those compounds out, doesn't make any difference in racing.
Well, seems like some teams have seen this coming when they selected the tires.
There might be something about Q2 with the Med, as the Soft lasted only 10 laps on Ham's car. It may also be a way to pressurize Merc with an undercut for the Bulls if they go S-M-H.
Manoah2u wrote: so what do you want, a worn down lewis and a free gift to nico, or a absolutely exciting last race?
This is what I think about the championship: https://twitter.com/_aarava/status/7821 ... wsrc%5Etfw
I think we never had a worse competition about the championship before. Even Vettel against his own had more class as he at least try do it perfectly and did not dump every second Q lap. :roll:

GPR-A duplicate2

basti313 wrote:This is what I think about the championship: https://twitter.com/_aarava/status/7821 ... wsrc%5Etfw
I think we never had a worse competition about the championship before. Even Vettel against his own had more class as he at least try do it perfectly and did not dump every second Q lap. :roll:
Contrary to that, I think IF there was another fast and competitive driver like a Ricciardo in the same Red Bull from 2009-2013, we would have probably seen a different picture altogether. Might still have Vettel won 4 championship, might be not and the other driver would have won all four, or the championships would have got divided between them, OR worse, while they were taking points off, Alonso or someone would have won all others ! Same goes for qualifying. If Vettel was in knowledge that he had to take more risks to secure a pole because there is another highly competitive team mate weighing for the same, he would have ended up making mistakes, which he didn't because Webber was simply a no match.

GoranF1
GoranF1

How is the weather forecast for Qualy?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

GPR-A wrote:
basti313 wrote:This is what I think about the championship: https://twitter.com/_aarava/status/7821 ... wsrc%5Etfw
Contrary to that, I think IF there was another fast and competitive driver like a Ricciardo in the same Red Bull from 2009-2013, we would have probably seen a different picture altogether. Might still have Vettel won 4 championship, might be not and the other driver would have won all four, or the championships would have got divided between them, OR worse, while they were taking points off, Alonso or someone would have won all others ! Same goes for qualifying. If Vettel was in knowledge that he had to take more risks to secure a pole because there is another highly competitive team mate weighing for the same, he would have ended up making mistakes, which he didn't because Webber was simply a no match.
I agree with GPR-A, last year Vettel was supreme in qualifying and race because he knew Raikkonen was no match for him. This year the Finn has upped his game and we have Vettel overdriving his car last 4 Gp's and making mistakes.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

koolway
koolway

GoranF1 wrote:How is the weather forecast for Qualy?
Heavy rain in the morning going to light rain until 1pm. Currently rain probability between 3-4pm is around 30%.
So it should be dry(-ing) qualifications...

Then rain expected during the night until early morning... race should be dry to.
Temperature around 22°

AMG.Tzan

Silent Storm wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
I agree with GPR-A, last year Vettel was supreme in qualifying and race because he knew Raikkonen was no match for him. This year the Finn has upped his game and we have Vettel overdriving his car last 4 Gp's and making mistakes.
I also agree with you guys!! And i've been watching races from 2011 or 2013 every night and what i found is that whenever Vettel is being challenged be someone he always makes mistakes...especially this year and 2014 he is nowhere sometimes! It would have been nice to have the current Ricciardo as a teammate since 2009!!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

basti313
basti313

GPR-A wrote:
Contrary to that, I think IF there was another fast and competitive driver like a Ricciardo in the same Red Bull from 2009-2013, we would have probably seen a different picture altogether. ............. If Vettel was in knowledge that he had to take more risks to secure a pole because there is another highly competitive team mate weighing for the same, he would have ended up making mistakes, which he didn't because Webber was simply a no match.
No, I think it was different. Not far away from what you are saying: Webber was no match, Vettel had no pressure, true. But I think due to this lack of pressure we saw really perfect laps. Vettel let it just fly and was incredible fast. There was no obvious fault in the laps and the gap he put on the others was sometimes just incredible. Same in the race when Horner was swettig and Vettel tried to nail a fastest lap.
I totally agree on the point, that with pressure it may have been different and that the season(s) totally lacked competition.
By the way: I do not think Webber was lacking pace, he was simply too heavy. His weight disadvantage cost him the two tenth he was on average behind when both were driving perfect laps.