The 2016 F1 WDC Title Dumpster Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TAG

Re: The 2016 F1 WDC Title Dumpster Topic

andartop wrote:
TAG wrote:
Maybe you missed the second paragraph of my post where I expressed my opinion about Nico's drive, as well as everyone else's...
I am not going to start arguing with you about what happened a decade ago, sorry.
Didn't miss it simply found it peculiar, it's as if you're arguing for two opposing views on the same situation. Of course no argument intended, just making sure that you were aware of facts and how we like to complain about things when they're not going our way, yet are perfectly willing to accept the same when it's to our benefit. Strange how that works. Maybe next year with no tokens and two world champions Ferrari can prevail. It's been a long time so I understand your frustration having different takes of what constitutes the moral high ground.
marvin78 wrote:That's were most people are wrong. F1 needs no drama, it needs racing. REAL racing.
Yesterday we saw a master class in controlling a race. That's as real racing as it can get.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

marvin78
marvin78

No. It's not. It's managing the race. This only works, with a (in clean air) absolutely dominant car, like it was never seen before and in a class in which you can't really "use" the tires. Everyone who attacks the "controlling" leader has to fear damaged tires. That's not racing. Racing is driving at the limit in every second of the race. We didn't see that in years.

andartop
andartop

TAG wrote:
andartop wrote:
TAG wrote:
Maybe you missed the second paragraph of my post where I expressed my opinion about Nico's drive, as well as everyone else's...
I am not going to start arguing with you about what happened a decade ago, sorry.
Didn't miss it simply found it peculiar, it's as if you're arguing for two opposing views on the same situation...
Here, let me help you:

For the record, and being an unashamed Ferrari fan, I must say what I thought of the title-deciding race was just sadness for the current state of F1: the one title contender driving as slow as he possibly could in the faint hope of slowing down his opponent so he might get overtaken or just taken out of the race, the other one driving even slower, unable or scared to even attempt an overtake, and everybody else STILL unable to overtake the Mercs.

It is just my opinion about the current state of F1 in 2016, that is all. No arguing, no opposing views, no moral high or low grounds. A worthy finale to such an exciting season.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

RedNEO

dans79 wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
dans79 wrote: lol, :wtf:
When your only response is 'lol' and a emoji your not exactly proving your point.
Some statements are so ludicrous they aren't worth putting effort into responding to, thus pointing out their lunacy and moving on is a better coarse of action.
QED you have no argument

WaikeCU

andartop wrote: Here, let me help you:

For the record, and being an unashamed Ferrari fan, I must say what I thought of the title-deciding race was just sadness for the current state of F1: the one title contender driving as slow as he possibly could in the faint hope of slowing down his opponent so he might get overtaken or just taken out of the race, the other one driving even slower, unable or scared to even attempt an overtake, and everybody else STILL unable to overtake the Mercs.

It is just my opinion about the current state of F1 in 2016, that is all. No arguing, no opposing views, no moral high or low grounds. A worthy finale to such an exciting season.
It tells you how much pace the Merc has and how it manages to be easy on its tires compared to the competition.

A-Bap

mika vs michael wrote:Mercedes intervention was purely and utterly stupid. Lewis no matter what needed to win the race to have a real chance. F1 drivers are elite athletes, they are not football or basketball players...Senna Schumacher and so many others out there were ruthless and that's how it must be to be the best of the best. The constructors championship was early over. This race was a about winning the WDC and this is the most important title in F1 in terms of public attraction. it's the final of the finals...Lewis did what he had to do. F1 needs more drivers like Lewis. it does not need more "yesmen"...it needs more controversy and more drama otherwise it is boring...it is not a chess or balley contest, it's a ruthless game with so much going behind the curtain...
The team orders were so strong that I think some team bonus money had to be in the balance--perhaps a perennial increase in their Heritage Bonus. Otherwise, why intervene? It would makes no sense unless team money was in play.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

marvin78 wrote:That's were most people are wrong. F1 needs no drama, it needs racing. REAL racing.
And this was real racing. Racing isn't just about going as fast as possible in every corner. It's about using the tools available to win the title. The only tool available was to try to bring other drivers in to the fight and/or force an error out of Rosberg. It was all clean, no driving in to other cars like previous champions have done. It was a demonstration of a world class driver trying every legal trick in the book to win.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

andartop
andartop

Why intervene?
Maybe to try and secure the 1-2 finish they knew they could easily achieve with hardly any risk?
Maybe because a 1-2 finish would be better for the Team trying to sell cars in one of the most lucrative markets for luxury cars compared to a 1-3, 1-4 or even a 1-DNF?
This is F1, the race is not over until it's over, how about a safety car getting them all close enough for Vettel to have a go at both Mercs? How about Nico developing a problem and dropping out, then a safety car getting Vettel right behind Lewis? How about Max crashing Nico out of the race, then a safety car getting Vettel right behind Lewis?
Unlikely scenarios? Surely.
Impossible? Certainly not.
How could they then justify letting them race as SLOW as they like, if the end result could be a possible 2nd place for Lewis and DNF for Nico instead of a pretty much guaranteed 1-2 finish?
Not saying it was fair to Lewis, but since team orders are allowed these days I can easily justify those who gave them.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

SR71

TAG wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
SR71 wrote: Or we could be adults and realize you make your own luck in F1, and when you lose the WDC by under 10 points over an entire season, the driver is more responsible than anyone else.
What rubbish. Losing by 5 points when you had a 25 point race win taken away by a reliability issue is not "driver responsible".
Are you both saying Lewis had a perfect season and didn't leave more than 5 points on the table through his own errors?

I didn't think so, Lewis cost Lewis the championship.

Nico beat a titan, stayed mentally on edge, a few weekends he dominated Lewis on MERIT.

The underdog won, how is this a bad thing?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SR71, you're trolling by deliberately ignoring the Sepang engine failure. I'm not playing your game anymore. Go troll elsewhere.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

andartop wrote:How about Nico developing a problem and dropping out, then a safety car getting Vettel right behind Lewis? How about Max crashing Nico out of the race, then a safety car getting Vettel right behind Lewis?
Unlikely scenarios? Surely.
Impossible? Certainly not.
Lewis had the pace to drive away from Vettel when he wanted to. Even if Vettel on new tyres was half a second quicker in clear air, at that track that isn't enough to attack the Mercedes.

andartop
andartop

Maybe, but why risk it unless you are Lewis?

basti313
basti313

TAG wrote:
turbof1 wrote:And it was not like nobody saw this coming. This outcome was very probable after Japan; I am also perplexed with the amount of controversy this generates.

For the record, to the people who believe Mercedes conspired with Rosberg: What do you think it means for Mercedes when a PU blows up? That's not exactly good marketing. Plus 1,500 workers can say goodbye to a bonus.

Every decision Mercedes made that did not benefit Hamilton, was made solely to benefit the team, just as every decision made that did not benefit Rosberg, was made solely to benefit the team.
I'm not saying they did, but circumstantial evidence is strong that at very many points this year, they purposely helped Rosberg.
You are right. And the big problem now: Wolff will sack Ham for the first three races according to media and will put Wehrlein into the car to have another German winning.
Bye bye WDC 2017 :-o :-o :-o
Don`t russel the hamster!

dans79

SR71 wrote: Are you both saying Lewis had a perfect season and didn't leave more than 5 points on the table through his own errors?
I think he and a lot of other people know Lewis left points on the table. However, what so many trolls, blissfully ignorant, and fanboys here seem to forget, is that Nico also left a lot of points on the table.
  • Monaco - complete inability to drive his car in the wet
  • Canada - poor start
  • Canada - couldn't get past max and spun out all on his own
  • Austria - crashed into his teammate with an amateur blocking move and was lucky to finish 4th
  • Germany - poor start
  • Germany - inability to pass max in a legal way
What I and several others have said is if the reliability had been any where close to equal, Nico would have finished the season exactly where has has the last 3 seasons, behind his teammate!
197 104 103 7

SR71

Just_a_fan wrote:SR71, you're trolling by deliberately ignoring the Sepang engine failure. I'm not playing your game anymore. Go troll elsewhere.

Who seriously complains about 1 PU failure?

Mercedes literally re-wrote the book on F1 Efficiency and component lifespan.

Are they perfect? No, but they are the closest to it and they handed Lewis 2 of the easiest championships in history.

Lewis and his fans should be thankful otherwise he'd be just another single WDC who didn't even deserve 1 because his competitor suffered 3DNFs that season :-)

Merc do not need Lewis or his fans, hopefully they spend some real money to break his contract early - or if rumors are true use his own short sighted actions to break contract.