Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

I am trying to make sense of his decision.

1. His dream of becoming a world champion is realized.
2. It appears that he had enough of people asking questions in many an interviews where it was made apparent again and again, how Lewis is stronger than him and how he handles it.
3. He probably feels like he does not have it in him to repeat this success again.
4. Was he unhappy about his new contract that was for 2 years and not of that he wanted, which was for 3 years? Now that he has won the WDC, he calls it quits. Sort of "In your face Toto" kind of stuff.
5. Would he have quit regardless, after this season even if he would have lost? Because it take s a lot to keep coming back after season long struggle that only fetches a defeat. 3 years in a row.
6. I remember Dr Zetche had mentioned that Wherlein is the future. So, was there some sort of agreement struck between Nico, Toto and Zetche to help him win a title and retire, so that Wherlein can come in for next season. Ocon was provided a good place in FI and Wherlein was held back.

j2004p
j2004p

FW17 wrote:WOW

Look what is back in F1

http://www.f1colours.com/wp-content/upl ... 0-hill.jpg
Would be interesting, but there was no 'Number 1' this or last year as Lewis turned down the chance to run the No1 in favour of his own number 44.

No Number 0 next year I'm afraid.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Gaz. wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:This is beyond delicious.
Merc have annoyed their 3 time WDC to favour a driver who has now just given them the finger. Calling Hamilton everything from a pig to a dog including threatening to fine or ban him.
Hamilton must be laughing his head off, rubbing his hands waiting for the next meeting with Wolff.

It seems Toto backed the wrong horse. It's clear they wanted 2 WDC's in their cars and they have bent over and violated one whilst the newest one has just done the same to them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only sensible thing for Mercedes to do than would be to hire Alonso.... :mrgreen:

How in the world is it 'sensible'? As much as I would love to see it, it would be too much aggro to have two roosters in the hen house if Toto was stressing over Lewis & Nico's bubbling relationship.
It was mentioned in relation to what Restomaniac said.. :wink:

George-Jung
George-Jung

GPR-A wrote:I am trying to make sense of his decision.
1- Win a formula 1 race,
2- Win Monaco,
3- Become WDC.

He checked of all of those 'boxes' and only these three are worth anything to him and his dad.
“I thought this day would come. I had a rule that there are three things you have to achieve; win your first race, win Monaco Grand Prix and win the championship. Now he can put a cross against that and say ‘been there done that’.
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/11/ ... with-keke/

diego1960

Manjhi,

Ditch the talented Lewis for....Massa AND Button? To have the most boring duo in the history of the sport? I don't think it makes any sense, and hopefully Lewis will stay for many more years as he has still much to offer.

Who would do that, seriously? Even from a marketing perspective it's suicide.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

NathanOlder

Don't think he will be missed by many. If any one of these guys

Vettel
Alonso
Hamilton
Verstappen

Left, then most would feel that F1 has lost something. Nico leaving is a shock, but no great loss.
For me Wehrlein is the perfect fit, a season as number 2 to learn the ropes, a happy team, a hungry team. No point looking for 2 conflicting drivers again. Toto knows all about it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mr. Fahrenheit

Guy's an absolute legend. Very rock'n'roll!

Leaves F1 as World Champion, rich and - more importantly - healthy to enjoy the best years of his life with his young family. Envy the man that feels complete.

AnthonyG

ripper wrote:Big surprise! And now... who's going to ride that car?
Who got a last minute call to drive the car in the tyre test? ;)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Wynters
Wynters

Good call by him, he's clearly smart enough to see the big picture. He's achieved everything in the sport other than topping all the records (which he's too old to). He's got a young family and he can actually be there for them having made sure to earn more than enough to let the Rosberg name continue to live in luxury for generations to come.

He's reached the pinnacle of his career and now he can focus on doing the same as a father.

nokivasara
nokivasara

Mr. Fahrenheit wrote:Guy's an absolute legend. Very rock'n'roll!

Leaves F1 as World Champion, rich and - more importantly - healthy to enjoy the best years of his life with his young family. Envy the man that feels complete.
I agree. Nico is not my favourite driver but to be able to reach deep within and really make that decision to step back is something to admire!
He gave it all he had and now he feels that he can go on to do other things. Of course he knows that there will be comments about taking the easy way out, not defending his title, but this is more honest to himself and his family.

It's better to leave on a high, the likelihood of merc being as dominant for the next years is smaller than between -15 and -16 so he could be put up against Ferraris and RedBulls aswell as Hamilton and to be fair, he is the weakest of that bunch.

dans79

Having seen his video, and read several of his quotes it is obvious why he is done. He said it took everything he had to win this year, and that took a tole on him and his family.
197 104 103 7

notsofast
notsofast

TheFastCastor wrote:When you stop for a moment and look around...and you feel like you don't need anything more...that's when you are free
+1

PlatinumZealot

This is a big schoker! Damn. Now Lewis won't be able kick his butt one last time. Slick, Nico. Real slick. :roll:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

damager21
damager21

Am a big fan of McLaren but of Alonso too and I strongly believe he deserves to win his third world championship. It looks highly unlikely that McLaren will be able to provide him with a championship winning car next season. At best they could be third or fourth best team.

I hope Alonso moves to Mercedes and wins the title next year. Lewis has kind of got a free run just like Vettel did for few years. Would love to see some fire works at Mercedes.

It will be interesting if Alonso moves to Mercedes and Button makes a comeback for next year. That would be crazy.
Last edited by damager21 on 02 Dec 2016, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

That's right, only a fool wouldn't believe that Alonso has been ringing off Mercedes phone since the announcement!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN