2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
hollus

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Spot on. They had the Mercedes engine.
Actually, that could almost read as:
"After our engine partner, out driver and our designer all left to the same team..." You make your own luck.
Rivals, not enemies.

Wazari

He is right. He said McLaren would have won if they had the best engine, not Mercedes engine. If Honda had 100 + HP over the Mercedes PU, then McLaren would have won. On the other hand, he could have also said, if we had the best chassis this year, we would have won. I have no words on why he has to say these things. Then people wonder why Arai-san and EB didn't get along and why Hasegawa-san just tolerates him.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Lucky
Lucky

Wazari wrote:He is right. He said McLaren would have won if they had the best engine, not Mercedes engine. If Honda had 100 + HP over the Mercedes PU, then McLaren would have won. On the other hand, he could have also said, if we had the best chassis this year, we would have won. I have no words on why he has to say these things. Then people wonder why Arai-san and EB didn't get along and why Hasegawa-san just tolerates him.
:lol: The best engine is Mercedes, Honda loses 100 h.p.

a1b2i3r45

I think EB is just trying to shift the focus from the politics that has been going on behind the scene and keep his design teams motivated.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... ez-861199/
Unfortunately McLaren is in a very delicate situation because there's a lot of politics. Jost Capito is leaving and people at McLaren had high hopes for him and he has been there for a few months and the politics were so big that he couldn't take it and he's out.
And also keeping the pressure on Honda to deliver the next big step.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Lucky wrote:
Wazari wrote:He is right. He said McLaren would have won if they had the best engine, not Mercedes engine. If Honda had 100 + HP over the Mercedes PU, then McLaren would have won. On the other hand, he could have also said, if we had the best chassis this year, we would have won. I have no words on why he has to say these things. Then people wonder why Arai-san and EB didn't get along and why Hasegawa-san just tolerates him.
He finnaly cought his on tail...;)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

proteus

mrluke wrote:That's outrageous.

Firstly its a complete fabrication as we can all see the Mclaren car is somewhat lacking.

Secondly how is it anybodies fault but Mclaren's that they have a car with anything other than the best PU on the grid installed in it.

When they had the Mercedes PU the only reason they weren't winning was because the Mercedes PU was holding them back as it wasn't their own works unit. Now they have what they wanted and the only reason they aren't winning is because they don't have a Mercedes PU.

Its always everybody else's fault at Mclaren isn't it.
They had the Mercedes engine in 2014, but firstly Mercedes had a superior supercar, better than the whole field, so Mclarens chances for victory were slim as a bandage (and a few 10 hp deficit since they lost the deal). In the other hand the truth is that year they failed to deliver since they had a gret chance to be a second or a third team in the field. The car had problems with not heating the tyres and being overall not capable to compete with Redbulls and Williams, but it was somewhat in par with Ferrari. The engine was good enough, that they had no problems with speed, but as i said the chasis itself was problematic.

In the 2015 and 16 season their biggest problem was the Honda engine if u like it or not. Especially 2015 with almost no testing and catastrophic top speeds (the portion of the blame is not fully on Honda, since Mclaren requested slim design of the engine which proved problematic and was seen with many other manufacturers in the past - slim, small doesnt allways mean better). In 2016 the step was made, but with the tight regulations the progress was deemed to be placing the car somewhere in the middle of midfield, depending of the tracks characteristics. Suzuka was the standing point of engine power deficit and overall shortcomings with it.

I bet that no team - and i mean literally no team in the field would be able to do any better as Mclaren did with the problematic Honda engine (with same specs - and again, not saying Honda didnt do its work properly, since for me the rules are the one which are guilty for the problems that appeared). Maybe few points more and better qualifying, but still, it would be impossible to achieve podiums.

2017 will be the crunchtime season in which it will be shown what are Honda and Mclaren capable to achieve. In the next season, podiums will need to become accesable, if not than they will have serious problems.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Pierce89

Lucky wrote:
Leave it alone. If Wazari is for real, you can't legitimately expect partiality. Yes it is clear EB meant the Mercedes not some theoretical Merc stomper. For whatever reason EB and Wazari fundamentally disagree on what gps traces show. Personally, I lean more towards EB.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

GoranF1
GoranF1

Pierce89 wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Leave it alone. If Wazari is for real, you can't legitimately expect partiality. Yes it is clear EB meant the Mercedes not some theoretical Merc stomper. For whatever reason EB and Wazari fundamentally disagree on what gps traces show. Personally, I lean more towards EB.
Maybe Wazari is Arai then.... :D
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

tonmeister
tonmeister

GoranF1 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Lucky wrote: :lol: The best engine is Mercedes, Honda loses 100 h.p.
Maybe Wazari is Arai then.... :D
No way. We can understand Wazari´s english... ;)

HPD

It seems that there are no moderators here.. Must be the holidays.

godlameroso

?? It's on topic, we're talking about the team, and how the politics might have an influence in bad decisions taken by the team in the past.
Saishū kōnā

Wazari

I am definitely not Arai-san. I am almost a generation older than him. My attempt at sarcasm must have failed. I was trying to say that if McLaren had a "better" PU than Mercedes, thus being the "best", then they might have won a few races, not the WCC. As far as GPS readings go, numbers don't lie, Mr. EB.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

mclaren111

Like this !!

mclaren111

F1i.com:
Ramirez:
“Jost Capito is leaving and people at McLaren had high hopes for him and he has been there for a few months and the politics were such that he couldn't take it and he's out.
Seems he left and that is why we are stuck with Boullier :(

Andres125sx

Wazari wrote:My attempt at sarcasm must have failed. I was trying to say that if McLaren had a "better" PU than Mercedes, thus being the "best", then they might have won a few races
Don´t worry, some people simply like critizicing and discussing for free

Both Boulier and you are right, Boulier because with best PU any team would win some race, and you because that´s just BS thrown to the media to entertain fans like we´re doing here :mrgreen:

With best PU or best chassis, any team would win some race, that´s like saying tomorrow the suraise will be at the west :roll:

Anycase, a good journalist would haver replied: "and what happened when you were using Mercedes PU?"