2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This race shows us Redbul and str has very good mechanical grip. I think Redbul may be slightly better then Ferrari too. But overall Ferrari is best at this season. I think we can say mclaren chassis 4. overall.

mrluke
mrluke

Why were Mclaren the only team to stop twice? Similar thing happened in Spain where they put Alonso on the short aggressive 3 stop predicated on overtaking the cars in front. Mclaren hard on their tyres?

basti313
basti313

mrluke wrote:
28 May 2017, 17:39
Why were Mclaren the only team to stop twice? Similar thing happened in Spain where they put Alonso on the short aggressive 3 stop predicated on overtaking the cars in front. Mclaren hard on their tyres?
Button lost 5sec in 3 laps before the stop on Wehrlein. :o
The tires were gone...this is strange as But was not even following close (always more a 2sec gap than 1.5sec).
Don`t russel the hamster!

bauc

A weekend were everything that could go wrong, did :(
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

godlameroso

proteus wrote:
27 May 2017, 14:53
godlameroso wrote:
27 May 2017, 14:50
It's good but not yet top tier. It can happen with more McLaren style developing, that power unit needs to get better, there's definite potential there for the car to be good once that happens.
The biggest shame is there are practically no more circuits like this, there are only Tilkedroms left with miles of straights...
Silverstone, Malaysia, and Suzuka are going to see massive gains in lap time with the high speed corners. Singapore as well, in fact race pace is going to be as fast as pole was in 2015. Hungary may have nearly flat turn 11. Spa is going to be insane in sector 2.
Saishū kōnā

proteus

basti313 wrote:
28 May 2017, 17:46
mrluke wrote:
28 May 2017, 17:39
Button lost 5sec in 3 laps before the stop on Wehrlein. :o
The tires were gone...this is strange as But was not even following close (always more a 2sec gap than 1.5sec).
He had harder tyres, so he was maintaining the gap, meanwhile he was faster than the middle pack, Brundle mentioning he is faster than Vandoorne, mybe he cooked them eventually since he was not familiar to the compound.

Vandoorne lasted quite long on ultras so the car was not eating those tyres so much. If i understand correctly they pitted Button twice with hopes of the safety car, so he would have fresher tyres for the restart, i dont know he was toasted behind Wehrlein not to mention 8 more cars infront to get in points scoring position... Either way it ended in worst way possible for both of the drivers.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

etusch

Engine of alo car blown in indy too

marmer
marmer

i worked it out he would have done just under the amount of laps so far in f1 if he had finished the race i think he has done 204 indy was 200

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

you just can't make up this stuff.

Sato wins the Indy with a Honda,
Alonso's engine offcourse has to decide to commit suicide.

I think Alonso's really fast starting to get more than enough from Honda,
especially now that Ferrari is rather steaming in to a WCC and WDC title.

A really really clumsy move of VanDoorne but an even clumsier move from Button.

The only thing you would try to bring positive is that it seems the Honda engine is doing much better,
but then at the very same time Honda decides NOT to bring the upgrade to Canada due to reliability concerns,
AND Alonso's honda in Indy gives the ghost.

Honda almost seems like to have some sort of curse on them - then again, Sato won with a Honda, somehow.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

rscsr

Manoah2u wrote:
29 May 2017, 00:34
you just can't make up this stuff.

Sato wins the Indy with a Honda,
Alonso's engine offcourse has to decide to commit suicide.

I think Alonso's really fast starting to get more than enough from Honda,
especially now that Ferrari is rather steaming in to a WCC and WDC title.

A really really clumsy move of VanDoorne but an even clumsier move from Button.

The only thing you would try to bring positive is that it seems the Honda engine is doing much better,
but then at the very same time Honda decides NOT to bring the upgrade to Canada due to reliability concerns,
AND Alonso's honda in Indy gives the ghost.

Honda almost seems like to have some sort of curse on them - then again, Sato won with a Honda, somehow.
Honda made a conscious decision to use more power, for a reliability trade off. That had the consequence of them having a total of 10 engine blow ups at the Indy 500 weeks. But they also were the quickest cars for the whole Indy500. Chevy engined cars had to use less downforce and therefore used more tyres and had trouble competing.
So all in all it was just bad luck that Ryan Hunter Reay and Fernando Alonso had engine troubles.
The alternative would have been to not compete for the win with that many Honda powered cars at all and most likely Castroneves would have won his 4th Indy500. (4 Honda powered cars in the Top 5)

Thunder

........ and then came the Race..... :cry:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Stoffel tried to defend the best he could. Cold tires, cold brakes, a bit of understeer and nowhere he could go. If he lost the position he lost the points, he could as well try. I don't get it why people start downbeating him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ488ZecpmA

Just watch what those conditions do with the car with Ericson at 3.40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzQ8CzXRO8A

etusch

He had to warm up them

Vasconia

Mclaren´s qualy was overall good, but their chasis is between the 4th/5th best, nothing more. Still a long path if they want to be truly competitive.

Anyway it was a race to collect some points, something that the team needs desperately. But everthing went wrong and in the following races McLaren will only suffer.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

etusch wrote:
29 May 2017, 10:18
He had to warm up them
Indeed. Nor he, nor the team thought of that and they certainly weren't monitoring them. You seem to forgot that the fact that supersofts are harder to warm up and Perez did pit and had fresh options.You're missing the point. You need to look at the complete picture.