2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Can't comment on Power Figures but i wouldn't start worrying about Power until Efficiency and Reliability are somewhat solved. And even then sustained Power is more interesting than Peak Power.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

RedNEO

Andres125sx wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 10:39
RedNEO wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 05:38
Vasconia wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 16:50
Yes, I think that McLaren and Alonso will wait and see how the updated PU work. If they improvement is clear and marks a clear path for further improvemente, Honda will remain there. If not, Mercedes will be back in 2018, no sooner.

A re-branded PU could be an interesting solution.
The whole "they will wait to see what the next Honda upgrade brings" is a smoke screen. Zac has already said they (Honda) are lost and Alonso says they will have to bring a winning engine to convince him. It's obvious they know Honda won't deliver the goods and are just posturing until the split is announced.
Sorry but what a load of BS. They don´t need to posture before firing Honda, anyone with a brain will understand it if they split, some will even applaud.

But in 2017 there are no tokens, only allocations, so they can mod anything they want from the PU to solve all the problems they got. Current PU was first they could do this, but they said from the very beginning it was a risky design. That bet went wrong and now they´re solving those problems. It would be stupid to make the decision of firing Honda just before they show the revised 2017 PU
Honda struggling with dyno correlation
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... no-918068/

waynes
waynes

Mclaren really need to walk away now, for the sake of the teams future and its reputation.

f1universe
f1universe

So people is saying that McLaren's way to keep Alonso is to switch to Mercedes for next year, but how is that going to help them to keep Alonso?. Alonso said the only way to win a title is by driving for a works team, and I agree

Mattchu

I`d say McLaren are stuck between a rock and a hard place, they know if they move to Mercedes engines then as a team they are just another engine/pu customer! Will they be much better than Williams or Force India? probably, will they consistently beat the works team? highly unlikely!
Would Mercedes consider withdrawing as a main constructor and making McLaren their number one engine partner as happened in the past. I`m pretty sure this can`t happen until at least 2020 as agreements have been signed.
The situation they have now is unaccetable/untenable, they know that, Honda know that, but to be perfectly honest i`m not really sure that going back to Merc is the best path. Honda should (debatable) get the engine somewhere near the levels of Ferrari and Merc given time (how long is the tough one). It seems that Honda have become slightly more flexible in the usage of outside help on the development side, hopefully this will allow them to get the power unit sorted.
McLaren seem like they are giving Honda an ultimatum, get this PU better or we`re off, they obviously know more than we do with regards to the resources Honda are putting in and we have heard rumours that it is insufficiant compared to the other 3, Honda seem to have really underestimated how difficult it is to build one of these new era power units to a competitive level. Maybe they thought it`d be like Indy car...
If McLaren can see that Honda are putting in decent resources and the next wave of units turn out to be a significant improvement then i`d say stick with them. How sweet would it be if after all the pain and hardship they finally got it right and actually started finishing towards the pointy end.
I suppose you`ve got to weigh up that potential with the chance Mclaren will be just another mid pack team behind the Mercs and Ferraris, picking up a few podiums here and there...

p.s. As for the Merc PU in the back rebranded as Honda, personally i can`t see that happening, what would be the point, everyone would know!

Tough decisions ahead, and people wonder why Formula One can`t attract new teams/manufacturers!

etusch

f1universe wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 13:11
So people is saying that McLaren's way to keep Alonso is to switch to Mercedes for next year, but how is that going to help them to keep Alonso?. Alonso said the only way to win a title is by driving for a works team, and I agree
I don't know what they are saying or mean. For example team bosses talk about race winning with a more powerful PU but can't talk about WDC/WCC. And everybody talks about "current level is not the place mcaren deserved". İs mcLaren deserved place winning a few races ?
F. Alonso says "with a powerful engine I can fight for p3-p4." Fernando! Didn't you left ferrari saying that "I don't want to be second" Well for example Ham come F1 with mclaren and then move Merc which was not so good and suddenly ( of course there was indication but not so much gap, so much ) they became 1 second faster closest car.
But normally winning a process, M. Schumacher lived this, I am not sure I think Senna also lived this.

diffuser

etusch wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 14:11
f1universe wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 13:11
I don't know what they are saying or mean. For example team bosses talk about race winning with a more powerful PU but can't talk about WDC/WCC. And everybody talks about "current level is not the place mcaren deserved". İs mcLaren deserved place winning a few races ?
F. Alonso says "with a powerful engine I can fight for p3-p4." Fernando! Didn't you left ferrari saying that "I don't want to be second" Well for example Ham come F1 with mclaren and then move Merc which was not so good and suddenly ( of course there was indication but not so much gap, so much ) they became 1 second faster closest car.
But normally winning a process, M. Schumacher lived this, I am not sure I think Senna also lived this.
The thing is once your fighting for p3 -p4. McLaren can then start pushing for the chassis. your in entirely different air.

What if McLaren stay with Honda, the PU issues continue and Alonso leaves .... Who drives the other car for McLaren?

Not sure you could entice anyone worth while to move to McLaren.

FW17

What is the point of running Honda for the 2nd half of this year if they are going to use Merc next year?

Mclaren has lost so much of development time with Honda that sooner they get the Merc engine the better. They need to ascertain where the chassis is and identify the development areas.

A switch should take 2 months as Mclaren would already have all the installation data and mock up engine from 2014, and Merc has not changed their architecture much other than exhaust piping since then.

etusch

waynes
waynes

diffuser wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 14:20
What if McLaren stay with Honda, the PU issues continue and Alonso leaves .... Who drives the other car for McLaren?

Not sure you could entice anyone worth while to move to McLaren.
Jenson Button is under contract for next year

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24180/ ... rrangement

Sonador
Sonador

I would love for Button to make a comeback, but i think he is enjoying retirement.
Awesome guy, awesome and very underrated driver, but i think he wont be makin a comeback.

GoranF1
GoranF1

I hope the Mercedes deal includes Petronas fuel and lub. as well as latest engine maps...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

OneAlex

As agonising as it currently is I feel like it would be wiser to wait and see what the new engine regs will be before ditching Honda. Why switch suppliers near to the end of an engine era (when the Mercedes dominance will be smallest) when you don't yet know what the new ones will be like and so can't make an informed decision as to who is most likely to get it right.

Of course, Honda has struggled to adapt to the current engine woes compared to Renault and Ferrari so perhaps they'd be rubbish at building something competitive at the same speed as Mercedes even with new regs resetting the bar for everybody... but perhaps the new architecture might favour Honda a little more. And at least they'll have an engine built in conjunction with their own oils etc.

etusch

I think best is separation. Honda has a team to supply and important thing for me to see HOnda in F1. I am sure they can find a good team. Maybe Redbull too. This just depends their performance next year. I hope they will be good next year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... cedes.html

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

etusch wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 16:25
I think best is separation. Honda has a team to supply and important thing for me to see HOnda in F1. I am sure they can find a good team. Maybe Redbull too. This just depends their performance next year. I hope they will be good next year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... cedes.html
Who's the source?ATM it's all speculation now.