2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

etusch wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 22:15

If they have more chance at A1 Ring, so they want to take penalty at Bakü. I see silvertone and especially Hungary is best chance for them in near future. So they have to ready for that races. At least with one car they have to bring update one of next two race. For Bakü it could be with one car. For A1 ring it must be with two car. They have to go silverstone without penalty. They have to go hungary without penalty. hungary is more important than Silverstone because of point possibility.
That´s it. Silverstone and Hungary are essential for McLaren. They need to introduce that PU update earlier just to make sure that they can be reasonably competitive in both tracks.

RedNEO

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 23:47
I know i read it before but can someone who knows repeat why exactly rules allow Mclaren to switch to Mercedes PU despite the deadline that has passed month ago?
That deadline was just a date the FIA could force an EM to supply a team. Any team is free to go and sign it's own contract with a EM at anytime.

RedNEO

McLaren decision on Honda made'
The McLaren hierarchy have already taken the decision to split with Honda, according to F1 Report guest Mike Gascoyne.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... been-taken

diffuser

j.yank wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 21:55
fellowhoodlums wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 21:02
If McLaren and Alonso are waiting for the Honda PU upgrade to decide on their futures then I suspect Honda won't produce it for Baku. Wasn't ready for Canada and unless they have a moment of clarity in the next few days, it's not coming to Baku.

It is that important a moment that Honda would be wise to wait until it is able to discover why there is a lack of correlation with the dyno results before promising any updates. If they don't solve the poor correlation then they are wasting time developing anything at all.
Exactly opposite: if they don't have correlation on dyno they will be forced to understand what is going on in the real life. Probably this will play important role in bringing the update in Baku. Yes, we can expect problems and DNF again but this is the dark side of the development process. Remember, we will never know how many engines were blown up by Mercedes between 2011 and 2014.

The correlation "issue" was/is with regards to reliability not with power not correlating. They didn't understand why they were getting reliability with the PU on the Dyno but it wasn't translating to the track.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

RedNEO wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 12:45
The McLaren hierarchy have already taken the decision to split with Honda, according to F1 Report guest Mike Gascoyne.

I'd be sad if that's the case. Honda will improve. They showed big improvements in 2016 from 2015 mess with a power limited design. They will show in 2018 they can do it.

Is it possible any change is for 1 year only?

Redragon

I think they just making pressure to Honda so they even accelerate more the update but splitting with Honda is loss, loss situation to everyone.
Honda with Sauber will delay their time to develop the engine properly. And Mclaren will never be a winner team with a custom engine.
Both are hoping on Alonso talent but in both situations Alonso is gone as he did with Ferrari. He doesn't have the time to wait for restructures.
All this preasure is to make sure Honda implement the upgrade faster to try to convince Alo to stay. Because right now Mclaren and Honda without Alo are a no profitable business.

tis
tis

It's pretty obvious that a split is inevitable so I can warble without recrimination now. Speculation was spot on when some time back that Mclaren were going to ditch Honda mid-season, at that point Mclaren already had a team working on integrating the Mercedes into the MCL32 but for various reasons (integration was difficult and they were optimistic that Honda would deliver working updates) decided to abandon the idea of a mid-season switch and stick with Honda. Mercedes were willing to provide a current gen engine this season if they wanted to jump. Since then it's been highly unlikely that Honda would be partnered with Mclaren for 2018 but if the updates delivered there was a possibility to rescue the relationship.

There have been no significant updates and currently no prospect for improvement, Honda basically admitted as much at the weekend. A decision was made to terminate the relationship after the GP on Sunday and Mclaren will be running Mercedes power in 2018.

etusch

fellowhoodlums wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 14:18
RedNEO wrote:

I'd be sad if that's the case. Honda will improve. They showed big improvements in 2016 from 2015 mess with a power limited design. They will show in 2018 they can do it.

I am sure that Honda will improve. But after all statements mclaren side and Alonso I don't want to see them as winning with Honda PU. I am Alonso fan, I like Mclaren team but I like Honda more, and in every condition I dont accept this kind of statements.
I was same about redbul to Renault. If I were redbul couldn't use my PU even this cause to redbul pull out of F1.
My hope is that Honda do a good job second half of season but not supply Mclaren next year.

RedNEO

Redragon wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 14:24
I think they just making pressure to Honda so they even accelerate more the update but splitting with Honda is loss, loss situation to everyone.
Honda with Sauber will delay their time to develop the engine properly. And Mclaren will never be a winner team with a custom engine.
Both are hoping on Alonso talent but in both situations Alonso is gone as he did with Ferrari. He doesn't have the time to wait for restructures.
All this preasure is to make sure Honda implement the upgrade faster to try to convince Alo to stay. Because right now Mclaren and Honda without Alo are a no profitable business.
You think finishing on 0 points in the championship and sponsors walking out is profitable?

RS200E

Why do you like Honda?

etusch wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 14:40
fellowhoodlums wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

I am sure that Honda will improve. But after all statements mclaren side and Alonso I don't want to see them as winning with Honda PU. I am Alonso fan, I like Mclaren team but I like Honda more, and in every condition I dont accept this kind of statements.
I was same about redbul to Renault. If I were redbul couldn't use my PU even this cause to redbul pull out of F1.
My hope is that Honda do a good job second half of season but not supply Mclaren next year.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

etusch

RedNEO wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 14:45
Redragon wrote:
You think finishing on 0 points in the championship and sponsors walking out is profitable?
I am sure you understand what he said. It is obvious. I just want to say that I hear many time about sponsors which had lost before Honda.

Redragon

RedNEO wrote:
Redragon wrote:
Do you think to adding to not winning points and delaying their success without Alonso is attractable to sponsors? The split means two teams one backbencher and one middlefield until they improve, both without Alonso are not attractable to sponsors

RedNEO

Redragon wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 14:49
RedNEO wrote:
Redragon wrote:
Do you think to adding to not winning points and delaying their success without Alonso is attractable to sponsors? The split means two teams one backbencher and one middlefield until they improve, both without Alonso are not attractable to sponsors
Tell me if Alonso doesn't know yet how would you know where he is going to be next year?

RedNEO

etusch wrote:
fellowhoodlums wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

Well luckily you can watch a Honda power sauber to the front of the grid next year

etusch

RedNEO wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 14:55
etusch wrote:
fellowhoodlums wrote:

Well luckily you can watch a Honda power sauber to the front of the grid next year
İn sports someone wins and others lost. Of course sauber will not win. Who knows maybe they will win surprisingly . But I am sure that They will be better. I like to watch whatever. Because I like motorsports.
I am watching motogp, I see Marquez slow down for points and I see there is no exitment, then I aware that I want him push even he fall. This kind of race give me more exitment. But they thinks different because this is a job for them in the same time. After marquez fall down I still watching with pleasure