2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Facts Only
Facts Only

Re: Honda Power Unit

The only Merc engines Mclaren will have at testing this year will be the ones in the trucks used to bring the team to the track.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

gansaraku
gansaraku

etusch wrote:
bauc wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 16:12
gansaraku wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 15:36

New chasis needs to pass crash test, then aproved for FIA, before you can use it.

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI MLA-L11 mediante Tapatalk
Is that even allowed by the rules?
İf it is true ( I don't think it's true) that means Mclaren & Mercedes deal is signed and will start in this season which means Wolff lied. They can't do a chassis just for trying a PU for a test
For the test sessions only i know that from rules: 'teams are permited to carry out no more than 15000km of testing with a current car (or previous year's car) in a single calendar year.' I don't know if the rules can allow to run a diferent pu using existing chasis.

loner

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

GoranF1 wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 14:45
A known Japanese website says Mclaren has a new crashtested chassis ready for post HUN gp test, whit Mercedes PU in it.

Alonso seemed strangly happy in Baku.
yeah sure Alonso happy because he will be a Mercedes satellite driver :lol: :lol:
as if Mclaren can even afford his salary if Honda ditched them for a calmer Williams :lol:
para bellum.

BrunoH
BrunoH

its testing they can test what they want they can test ilegal wings.. as seen before to emulate different downforce.. its been done in the past.. remember 93? they tests Lamboghini v12 and Ford v8 etc.. ... the teams internal supply contracts are the teams problems not the FIA..

Big Mangalhit

They can indeed test illegal parts like williams does several times, but can they test mule cars which did not passed crash tests? I doubt that since that is about security and not mandated rules of parity which are irrelevant in testing

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

I think this is poor from McLaren if true.

Honda is getting there. End of 2017 and they will be rivaling Red Bull.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

godlameroso wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 15:11
http://members.f1-life.net/report/55333/

Here is the rumor.
yeah, realiable and trustworthy source :roll:
anybody can make a website.

There's also news that the new update will bring 30 HP for Mclaren, and it won't end there.
30 HP may not seem THAT much, but then again, it DOES if you calculate where they must compromise without,
and it probably also means that they will have a more reliable engine, too.

Which would mean they can

A) up the wick [ less reliability issues ]
B) use their aero to it's full potential [ they make a compromise now to deal with the power defecit ]
C) have a more powerful engine [ thus essentially upping the wick twice ]

which could result in a massive difference in results. it won't get them on the podium, but it COULD take them
away from DNF's and the backfield into the midfield. Didn't Alonso get that Mclaren between p5 and p8 regularly in qually when they didnt have A) bad luck and B) technical issues ? That means solid midfield to connection with the front IF, and it's a big IF, Honda finally solves it's demons.

To return to that crashtest-mercy engine rumour;

The new crashtest with a new chassis rumour COULD be true - Mclaren themselves might have focused so much on the car, and knowing their windtunnel, computer simulation, and real life correlation is amazing and 95%+, they could have found even more improvement on the car. After all, there was mention that the car was really, really basic. they could have postponed this because of the bad Honda engine that wouldn't justify the effort to implement it.

that could mean there's positive news coming up, especially seeming how not-negative Alonso was.

It could very well also be not at all a mercedes engine they are going to fit, but a brand new Honda engine that demands a new layout - PERHAPS they have made a safety net for themselves to protect them from more disappointment - who can blame them - and demanded Honda builds the new engine in such a way that the connection to the monocoque is exactly the same so that they CAN mount a mercedes engine without any setbacks or time consuming measurements to deal with that, which THEN got translated into - and taken out of context in putting a clicbait headline;

MCL crashtests new monocoque, mounts MERC engine.

while in fact it is;

MCL crashtests new monocoque, mounts new Honda engine that has same implementation possibilities as MERC engine.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

proteus

fellowhoodlums wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 18:15
I think this is poor from McLaren if true.

Honda is getting there. End of 2017 and they will be rivaling Red Bull.
We are listening to this music third year in a succession now. It would be better for them to deliver first and talk later.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

loner wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 17:02
GoranF1 wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 14:45
A known Japanese website says Mclaren has a new crashtested chassis ready for post HUN gp test, whit Mercedes PU in it.

Alonso seemed strangly happy in Baku.
yeah sure Alonso happy because he will be a Mercedes satellite driver :lol: :lol:
as if Mclaren can even afford his salary if Honda ditched them for a calmer Williams :lol:
One thing is that they are not performing so far in the season, but claiming they are broke is a bit silly, dont u think?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Craigy

Facts Only wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 16:30
The only Merc engines Mclaren will have at testing this year will be the ones in the trucks used to bring the team to the track.
Totally O/T but those are Volvos as of 2016. I have done work for the guy who used to supply the Mercedes trucks to them.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Facts Only wrote:
Mclaren might have worked on B chassis to acomodate Mercedes PU since winter testing...who knows.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Redragon

no Mercedes engine is gonna be run on the tests next race without an official announcement that Mclaren brake parts from Honda first as Toto stated.

If you were Mercedes would you leave your PU for a test without any contract first? imaging after the test Mclaren decide to stay with Honda but they have collected all that data.

So no annoucement first of the brake up no Mercedes would be mounted on Mclaren. I thought Toto was clear last weekend.

shryr
shryr

This will turn out to be nothing more than a rumour. But what doesn't get talked about more often is the fact that this partnership is already past saving. There is no happy ending with McLaren and Honda living happily ever after. Honda at this point are only in it so they can fix their PU problems and hope for customers next year. McLaren is in it to minimize financial damage.

I will put my money on Honda coming out of this mess the better of the two

PlatinumZealot

GoranF1 wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 19:14
Facts Only wrote:
Mclaren might have worked on B chassis to acomodate Mercedes PU since winter testing...who knows.
There is no good reason to build a chassis to fit the Mercedes engine... and there is no reason to test a Mercedes engine in the chassis. Short memories...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

DarkSurferZA
DarkSurferZA

If you were the Merc boss, would you give a competitor your engine to mount in one of their chassis before they sign an exit agreement with their current engine supplier? I think the for is too low on substance to be believed. Not saying McLaren won't run a Mercedes PU next year, just that this role seems like click bait to me

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk