2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
kaepernickus

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

proteus wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 18:14
Does Alonso get new free engine and gearbox due to the crash?
Gearbox yes as he didn't finish the race, but I don't think you get a free engine change due to a crash.

proteus

kaepernickus wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 18:26
proteus wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 18:14
Does Alonso get new free engine and gearbox due to the crash?
Gearbox yes as he didn't finish the race, but I don't think you get a free engine change due to a crash.
Well with a slam like this and a fundemental fragility of the Honda engine i would dare to say it is risky to use it in the next race. Maybe they will push forward with spec 4 now.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

DVB

Impressive that McLaren still stayed alive in the race after such a knock!
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

NathanOlder

BeardedAce wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 15:15
Can someone explain why the pitstops are so bad for this team?
They have been crap for years. Always cocked it up for Lewis back in the winning years
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

BeardedAce
BeardedAce

proteus wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 18:38
Maybe they will push forward with spec 4 now.
That would be waste of time and money...Better focus on next year's PU and Torro-Rosso's chassis. Honda wont want the integration issues all over again next year.

BeardedAce
BeardedAce

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 19:36
BeardedAce wrote:
They have been crap for years. Always cocked it up for Lewis back in the winning years
maybe they need to poach Williams' Pit Crews.

NathanOlder

Yeah definitely, although Williams are currently better than Mclaren so why go ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marmer
marmer

NathanOlder wrote:Yeah definitely, although Williams are currently better than Mclaren so why go ?
Pay I suspect most pit crew members would almost certainly follow the cash. Especially if it didn't require moving home to change job. While they earn plenty they aren't on the mega bucks on a team boss or head engineer. Also lots of people have a fondness for McLaren. and the fact that while Williams are better in points than McLaren next year and the year after may not be the case as the car is almost certainly better just a poor engine

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

BeardedAce wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 19:36
proteus wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 18:38
Maybe they will push forward with spec 4 now.
That would be waste of time and money...Better focus on next year's PU and Torro-Rosso's chassis. Honda wont want the integration issues all over again next year.
Getting mileage on Spec4 now is better for next year

ZakB
ZakB

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 19:39
Yeah definitely, although Williams are currently better than Mclaren so why go ?
Because switching to McLaren is called a promotion.
BeardedAce wrote:
No, it's terrible. Has been a problem for years, remember them throwing races away because of it, while it looks pretty easy to be honest.

maguetox
maguetox

ollandos wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 10:18
some people try to make us to believe mclaren chassis have anchors................on russia gp mclaren loose 1.2sec on sector one with 2 straights and one corner....what kind chassis can have that effect???.... #-o #-o #-o ....only possible reason is anchor.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are right about Russia GP, the Honda PU was really bad. Honda recognized they were having correaltion problems and other series of situations. From Russia to here, Honda made a lot of improvements, they realize the way they where developing was not bring the expected results, now Honda is catching up, they have at least a qualy mode and the fundamental reliability is there and with a PU archicture that is its first year of racing and... and with only the 33% of the amount of data and capability of testing, the Honda have more development opportunities than the rest of the field.

Vasconia

HPD wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 17:41
Bad luck for Alonso, I think it could be fourth or third.
Disappointing race, I expected more in this circuit.
Horrible pit stop.

Let's hope the next race is better...
Its Malasia, don´t think so.

techman
techman

If we try to figure of what is the performance of McLaren chassis we should compare RedBull with Renault. It seems that the gap between these two Renault engine teams is about 0.8 sec. This is due to RedBull quality of chassis. At the same time, McLaren is behind Renault about 0.1 sec. So, it means that McLaren chassis compensate about 0.7 sec weakness from Honda engine. This means that the gap to the front (about 1.5 sec) is almost 1/3 by chassis, 2/3 by PU. OK, but this is not the whole story. The chassis performance is mostly due to downforce, drag, balance, weight, traction, and suspension. All of these have very complex inter-connections between each other. My guess is that this 0.7 sec performance of the chassis comparing to Renault is half due to aero and suspension, half by lighter Honda engine and better balance again because of the Honda engine. IMO they will be again behind RedBull next year. We will see this next year.
i believe you summed it up perfect.

Joseki
Joseki

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/m ... 07561.html

ERIC:
"We have information from Renault that proves to us that their engine is competitive.

"Maybe it is a bit behind the Mercedes and the Ferrari but it has potential."

"We have had meetings that show they are working on a reliability and performance package that will be more competitive next year.

"The other advantage of working with Renault is that we will have a say in engine design. In 2019 we will have a solution that is almost 'factory', so it's an advantage over a customer engine."

Dimi
Dimi

Joseki wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 11:55
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/m ... 07561.html

ERIC:
"We have information from Renault that proves to us that their engine is competitive.

"Maybe it is a bit behind the Mercedes and the Ferrari but it has potential."

"We have had meetings that show they are working on a reliability and performance package that will be more competitive next year.

"The other advantage of working with Renault is that we will have a say in engine design. In 2019 we will have a solution that is almost 'factory', so it's an advantage over a customer engine."
Its obvious Boullier never left Renault...
Very good deal btw..