2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

I think it is not needed to wait 2018 season to know that Red Bull to beat Mclaren.

HPD

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 18:31
Anycase, you must be thinking when Alonso said that famous "gp2 engine", that lack of power was due to Mclaren chassis.... or when he´s said "no power" around 20 times in past three seasons, that was McLaren responsability, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think @techamn tries to say, that the engine is not the only one responsible.
This will be seen in 2018.
Personally I think, that Mclaren's chassis is "good." But .. very very very far from the first ones.

Andres125sx

No, what techman said is what techman said, he clearly said McLaren should take some blame and called Alonso a crybaby, assuming McLaren-Honda poor perfomance was related to McLaren chassis in a similar proportion to the Honda PU, what is laughable (that was true past season, but not in 2017), and also assuming Alonso cries more than he should, when the reality is no WDC has ever suffered such a poor, slow and unreliable PU/engine.

In hindsight, I think Honda was way way too optimistic about their potential to build a competitive PU on a era where PUs are extremelly complicated and there was severe development restrictions. I said it many times, to me that was brave, but there´s a very thin line between brave and stupid, and Honda has paid the price of their bravery, because this is F1, anyone who does not deliver is severly criticized.

Now saying Alonso is a crybaby is assuming Honda does not deserve the beating, and sorry but this is F1, if you promise victories and in third season a 5th is seen as a great achivemment, you´re underperforming and will be criticized with reason. Honda knew the risk, and they decided to hire Alonso as they were very self confident about their potential. They didn´t deliver and must take the beating. Otherwise they simply shouldn´t be involved in F1

etusch

which one is shorter or longer period. last time honda produced a decent engine or last time McLaren produced a winning car.
Car development also restricted. You know, with same logic there is very small possiblity to see McLaren produce a winning car . They could produce a second car inseason at past but now they can't made it and when they finally made a winning car if there is no good engine it's still make nonsense
As you said this PU very complicated but car is still car needs aero, suspension and balance. What's wrong with McLaren. What Bullier did in McLaren working style and why ?

techman
techman

look iam not denying that honda need to up their performance but Hasegawa expects with their spec 4 they will overtake renault, which means this current spec is not far off. The problem with mclaren is that they put the sole reason for being slow on HONDA alone, and that BS.there is no credit given to honda for being a very light engine compared to renault which need more coooling.They say they are quick as Redbull. NOWAY. the mclaren is not as efficient as the redbull, Redbull ran a extreme rear skinny wing in monza compared to mclaren parachute. You can runextreme drag - downforce and can be quick in corners but it will hurt straight line speed. mclaren run extreme drag and toot their horns about how good the car is in corners and blame engine on straight line speed defecit. next year there is no where to hide. it will be a direct comparision. and i have nodoubt redbull chassis and their drivers will embarass mclaren renault. I just hope a redbull honda in 2019 and mclaren will end up being a another williams

Alonso Fan

Wow Alonso on fire today.

Probably won't last long though
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

zeph
zeph

It's only FP, but yeah, looking good. Of course, now that the divorce is final, Honda is gonna deliver over the next few races, making us all want to kick ourselves.

Sayeman

The divorce is it done, guys. Mclaren have been blaming Honda these last few years, they will blame them even more to absolve themselves of any sin of this divorce. Honda has got nothing to do with Mclaren from next season, so i don't care what Mclaren and their fanbase says anymore.

And those who are defending Fernando and saying he didn't do anything to force Mclaren's hand are either his compatriots or fans. so take their words with a grain of salt. Spanish media has been grilling Honda since 2015.

They can say anything they want but i have been seeing clear improvement from Honda over the year and that's why i am optimistic about next year. And when you think about it, Honda just got a upgrade from Mclaren (who has been on a downward spiral since 2008) to Redbull...So Honda fans shouldnt think they are getting the short end of the stick.

With FIA still experimenting with ceramic exhuast to boost sounds makes me think that this engine formula is set to stay beyond 2021. Lets hope this divorce provides a needed kick on Honda's backside and propels them towards improvement.
Never Give up.

Webber2011
Webber2011

McLaren have taken some pain with Honda, for sure, that's there for everyone to see.

But wasn't it supposed to be a much longer collaboration when the original deal was put to pen and paper ?

I'm pretty sure I saw reports about a 10 year plan from Honda ?

What happened to that ?

bauc

Webber2011 wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 13:47
McLaren have taken some pain with Honda, for sure, that's there for everyone to see.

But wasn't it supposed to be a much longer collaboration when the original deal was put to pen and paper ?

I'm pretty sure I saw reports about a 10 year plan from Honda ?

What happened to that ?
They mutually agreed to stop their collaboration. There were some performance clauses in the contract that give Mclaren room to seek premature cancellation of the contract from Honda but the catch was that FIA would not have allowed it to happen if Honda could not have found another team to supply (STR)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

bigblue

Chucked in the bin by McLaren due to insufficient progress from Honda. Honda were probably saying, yes it's bad, we've screwed up, but remember this is a long term project, hang on for a bit more. McLaren said no thanks. The end.
Last edited by bigblue on 29 Sep 2017, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

Singabule
Singabule

MCL32 rake hurt most, RBR move to standard rake and small wing. Unfortunately STR also draggy as well hence we may also see straightline deficit next year as well. Btw, alonso is an great driver and need a better ride next year, we agree with that. RBR still the most efficient chasis out there for sure and MCL is nowhere near.

HPD

Zak Brown:

"I think any time you make a decision, you always have an element of, 'What if we've made the wrong one?'".

"Obviously if they (HONDA) come out and start winning races next year and we don't, then we'd look a bit silly, but I think you've got to take your decision and stand by your decision and accept whatever results come your way."

"The relationship remains healthy – we are doing a team barbecue in Japan as we always do, so it's business as usual and there are no hard feelings. They gave it a go, they put a lot of money into it and we're just glad they are staying in the sport."

OviJohn
OviJohn

I´ll just leave this one here for those who keep up "banging the same drum"
Honda openly admits it has not done the job it had hoped to do when it signed up for a return. When asked if its failure to meet performance targets set for Spain, Canada and Belgium was what ultimately caused the McLaren break-up, Yamamoto tells Autosport: "I don't think those three races were the critical reasons but rather it had already been three years.

"The reason is we couldn't show enough improvement after three years. That is what made the difference."

Yamamoto's argument for staying in F1 had three key strands. The first was budget. Honda invested in the region of $100million into McLaren during each year of its partnership, a large chunk of which was used to pay Fernando Alonso's salary.

That will not happen with Toro Rosso, presenting a huge saving to the board. "We don't pay any money to Toro Rosso like we did to McLaren," says Yamamoto.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/77 ... ut-mclaren

So there ya have it folks, straight from the horses mouth. Life goes on, and no need to wish Mclaren hell for the upcoming years.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

no need to wish that, they've been in hell, and they've just signed another deal with the devil to stay firmly planted in hell. like they're in some sort of dante's levels of hell and keep making things worse for themselves somehow
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"