2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonso Fan

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Wow looking at the apex speeds Alonso has it hooked up pretty well considering the chassis isn't as good as merc

The first of the esses Hamilton lifts and is still 5kph faster than Alonso going flat.

Degner 1 was awesome

Mclaren barely reaching 300 through 130R
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

GhostF1
GhostF1

4.2 second pitstop for Alonso. What an absolute joke.

Sayeman

A bit more power and Alonso would have been 10th. Does anyone know if Honda is bringing the spec 4 update next race?
Never Give up.

Soichiro
Soichiro

Sayeman wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 08:54
A bit more power and Alonso would have been 10th. Does anyone know if Honda is bringing the spec 4 update next race?
I read they would bring it for the Mexican GP as they expect the US GP to be potentially good for them (to get points) and would like to avoid any penalty. That was also one of the reasons they decided to change the PU at this GP (to get better chance at US GP). This is what I've read (don't remember where though).

Soichiro
Soichiro

GoranF1 wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 21:51
damager21 wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 11:09
With Alonso and Kimi's penalty, Stoffel starts 9th on the grid with fresh tyres of his choice. Hopefully McLaren-Honda can salvage at least a point in this race.

Really disappointed that Honda could not offer Spec 4 to Alonso. Again grid penalty in a future race, if and when Honda makes Spec 4.0 available for him
It doesnt matter, spec 4 will be 4.5hp update....as usual.
Honda must have some powerful horses then considering 3 or 4.5 hp make such a difference. :roll:.

You are an Alonso fan, obviously became a Honda hater/basher as Alonso was not able to fight because of them, but there is no need to become a troll.

Soichiro
Soichiro

Alonso Fan wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 01:19
Wow looking at the apex speeds Alonso has it hooked up pretty well considering the chassis isn't as good as merc

The first of the esses Hamilton lifts and is still 5kph faster than Alonso going flat.

Degner 1 was awesome

Mclaren barely reaching 300 through 130R
Mercedes is a powerful beast, no doubt about that.

Alonso Fan

GhostF1 wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 07:48
4.2 second pitstop for Alonso. What an absolute joke.
Agreed, they really need to sort this out for Austin.

Not too bad of a race since it was going to be a struggle for the engine due to lack of corners with heavy braking.

Looking forward to Austin
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

etusch

Soichiro wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 10:31
Sayeman wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 08:54
I read they would bring it for the Mexican GP as they expect the US GP to be potentially good for them (to get points) and would like to avoid any penalty. That was also one of the reasons they decided to change the PU at this GP (to get better chance at US GP). This is what I've read (don't remember where though).
in suzuka if Alo miss point with little gap ( I didn't watch race except just first a few laps) and Auistin is better than suzuka for McLaren I think they can choose to take penalty for a 30 hp more powerful engine with one driver.
Maybe Honda prefer to bring it for next of usa after a bit more work on it. Whatever I am looking forward to see that engine

McG

godlameroso wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 20:36
Over 2.4 seconds, even if the engine is worth 2 seconds(It's not) the chassis is still down nearly half a second.
Well that would mean that with a good engine they would only be half a second behind rather than 2 and a half seconds behind.

Just shows how negative your posts are that you would place a negative on McLaren for such a thing.
F1 is dead.

godlameroso

The current Renault won't give McLaren 2 extra seconds, maybe next year's engine can give them 2 seconds over the current Honda engine. They'll have to get the rest of the lap time from the chassis, and while it's possible, that would only put them even with this year. You would then have to assume the others won't improve their engine and chassis. Seeing as how teams usually find 1.5 seconds from year to year, McLaren will need to find nearly 4 seconds next year to be competitive. I think they may be able to squeeze the gap to under a second next year, just behind the top 3. 2.3 from the engine (being generous for 2018 Renault power unit) plus another second from an evolved chassis still leaves them .7 seconds off the pace.
Saishū kōnā

techman
techman

Well that would mean that with a good engine they would only be half a second behind rather than 2 and a half seconds behind

In your dreams. mclaren are team hiding behind honda. next year they will not even be close to redbull, with the same engine. honda on the other hand, i believe should now try to get redbull for 2019. that should be there focus. 2018 is an eye opener for those mclaren fans

superdowg316

techman wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 22:45
Well that would mean that with a good engine they would only be half a second behind rather than 2 and a half seconds behind

In your dreams. mclaren are team hiding behind honda. next year they will not even be close to redbull, with the same engine. honda on the other hand, i believe should now try to get redbull for 2019. that should be there focus. 2018 is an eye opener for those mclaren fans
Yes, McLaren will be behind the out of favour Red Bull who don’t share the same fuel supply as Renault like McLaren has and aren’t as long term. It’s ridiculous to insinuate that, if anything McLaren, as long as they don’t mess up on the chassis or aero front, should be ahead of Red Bull.

As for Honda, don’t even get me started, they haven’t improved at all the last three years to a point where I could even contemplate them somehow turning Toro Rosso into winners. It’s the exact same thing every time:

2014: Oh it’s initial testing problems, they’ll be fixed by pre-season.
2015 Pre-Season: Oh they just have some small problems, it’ll be fixed by Melbourne.
2015: Oh it was just a bad season, they’ll improve next year.
2016: Oh they improved somewhat, they’ll be at the front next year!
2017: McLaren are mad, Honda will surely get it right next year!

Yeah, no. If I were to be proven wrong on McLaren being ahead of Red Bull, I can guarentee that Honda and Toro Rosso ain’t doing anything special next year. Besides, Gasly is in his first season in the B team learning and Kvyat they’re keeping because they have no one else. Red Bull will probably sell Toro Rosso once next year is over anyways.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Chicane
Chicane

Rhetoric aside there are a few glaring things which are hard to miss.

1] Honda's gap to their rivals is pretty much where it was since time immemorial.

2] Alonso even with a low downforce setup, double tow and DRS could not overtake Massa plying around with a damaged front wing and wornt out tires.

3] All the talk of this ''revolutionary'' step 4 which going by the rumor mills has been on dyno forever now but still Honda are not able to bring it out.

4] A sorry state of repeated missing of deadlines. It is not even about perception any more. Honda should be out there trying to prove Mclaren were wrong to dump them and should be bringing out updates to test them before next season but what we see the same old stale excuses.

5] Forget about the big things, look at the repetitive nature of minor issues. Hydraulic leaks happening at an alarming regularity which hints at serious quality control issues. These issues could have been acceptable to some extent if at least Honda were pushing performance envelopes.

6] This whole grand delusion as to how Honda are miraculously going to turn around and produce an engine which will suddenly meet reliability criteria of 3 power units per season and overturn a big power deficit will never come true. With only Toro Rosso doing the miles i simply do not see them turn in to a front runner. Yes if they learn their lessons, make correct organizational changes, stop treating their F1 project like a testing bed for their junior engineers, stop rotating people at alarming frequency and invest big they can do a respectable job but what we see is the new decimals being added to the engine specs with meagre improvements.
Quickshifter

techman
techman

its it funny that before mclaren signed with renault. mclaren were on full atttack mode on honda. we were even told mclaren are here to win and honda are not. what a low blow to a team engine supplier. but now that mclaren signed with renault , i hear different stories coming from mclaren side. Even jonathan neale of mclaren in ted kravitz talk show in japan s how mentioned they cannot gaurantee, whether mclaren wil match the redbull, and even alonso earlier on saying , it will be a challenge to beat redbull. why the change of tune all of a sudden?. did they find out the real power of the renault and how big it is compared to a smaller engine honda.? after they signed the renault contract? it funny the change of tune from mclaren, it will be no suprise if mclaren struggle against redbull. no hiding this for this team. get all the blame in 2018.

As for torro rosso honda. it will be hard, as torro rosso still lacks over a second in chassis performance to redbull , so next year will be hard. hopefully redbull gets the dyno reading of the honda power and compare with renault and we can finally see a redbull honda 2019. cant wait

hemichromis
hemichromis

techman wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 09:17
its it funny that before mclaren signed with renault. mclaren were on full atttack mode on honda. we were even told mclaren are here to win and honda are not. what a low blow to a team engine supplier. but now that mclaren signed with renault , i hear different stories coming from mclaren side. Even jonathan neale of mclaren in ted kravitz talk show in japan s how mentioned they cannot gaurantee, whether mclaren wil match the redbull, and even alonso earlier on saying , it will be a challenge to beat redbull. why the change of tune all of a sudden?. did they find out the real power of the renault and how big it is compared to a smaller engine honda.? after they signed the renault contract? it funny the change of tune from mclaren, it will be no suprise if mclaren struggle against redbull. no hiding this for this team. get all the blame in 2018.

As for torro rosso honda. it will be hard, as torro rosso still lacks over a second in chassis performance to redbull , so next year will be hard. hopefully redbull gets the dyno reading of the honda power and compare with renault and we can finally see a redbull honda 2019. cant wait
They had a contract with Honda, they had to make sure the break was by mutual agreement.