2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SteveRacer

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

In the race thread there is a comparison between Alonso's lap and Bottas lap. Not sure the numbers shown can be trusted but it looked like the McLaren was down roughly 10 km/h at the apex of the corners. Would be interesting to see and compare this data along side the above top speed data.

techman
techman

The issue that most have is your assertion that the Honda PU is competitive with the Renault PU and it is the excessive drag of the McLaren chassis which is responsible for the poor top speeds.
well you are absolutely correct. if that honda engine was in redbull, mclaren wouldnt be bashing honda and hiding behind them but instead working hard to improve their aero efficiency. but unfortunately for honda they dont have a benchmark chassis to compare. i really hope mclaren run their high rake angles in 2018
Brundle's statement is not AIUI a result of some calcs based on drag. They are figures which have been spoken of in the pit lane and as such can be used to verify the drag of the cars.
Brundle assesment is biased. no wonder he was supporting the british team, because he is one. he assesment was based on top speeds, and even if he spoke to so called engineers at mclaren , that does not mean they are right. we know what mclaren engineers said in 2013 and 14 but what happened.? cant wait for 2018. these commentators dont see the whole picture, i also believe they need to bring a more outspoken leader other than hasegawa. he is too soft, honda need some like cyril, who is not scared to speak up.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

techman wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 04:53
The issue that most have is your assertion that the Honda PU is competitive with the Renault PU and it is the excessive drag of the McLaren chassis which is responsible for the poor top speeds.
well you are absolutely correct. if that honda engine was in redbull, mclaren wouldnt be bashing honda and hiding behind them but instead working hard to improve their aero efficiency. but unfortunately for honda they dont have a benchmark chassis to compare. i really hope mclaren run their high rake angles in 2018
Brundle's statement is not AIUI a result of some calcs based on drag. They are figures which have been spoken of in the pit lane and as such can be used to verify the drag of the cars.
Brundle assesment is biased. no wonder he was supporting the british team, because he is one. he assesment was based on top speeds, and even if he spoke to so called engineers at mclaren , that does not mean they are right. we know what mclaren engineers said in 2013 and 14 but what happened.? cant wait for 2018. these commentators dont see the whole picture, i also believe they need to bring a more outspoken leader other than hasegawa. he is too soft, honda need some like cyril, who is not scared to speak up.
You are calling Brundle biased again. I hope to God you were going for irony after your comments on here.

You are going on about Brundle having a British bias AGAIN. I'll again point out that he is clearly a massive Ferrari fan and just to clarify something for you Ferrari and NOT British. So will you stop talking rubbish in that regard.

Also only you and you alone are even suggesting that it was McLaren he was talking too.
Why? Because otherwise it means you have to admit you are talking out of your anus. Something that has been obvious to everyone else for a while.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 26 Nov 2017, 10:32, edited 2 times in total.

stevesingo
stevesingo

techman wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 04:53
Care to supply any independent reference to support this?

Please stop trolling

techman
techman

iam not trolling , i am telling the raw truth . if you people believe mclaren have such an amazing chassis. why cant you say openly that mclaren will beat redbull in the constructor title next year end. You cant because inside you know that mclaren is NEVER an efficient chassis as redbull.
i also posted a link few pages ago where mclaren intentionally ran heavy downforce in brazil and it was reported by honda engineers to reporter . and some of you came and said its a japanese article so he is biased towards honda. so do you expect me to believe a british guy saying honda lacks so much bhp. yeah right!!. no wonder mr brundle guy is praising the british team mclaren. NO SUPRISE. i wonder what he will say when mclaren are behind redbull next season. I guess he might say renault engine in redbull is little bit more powerfull.

proteus

techman wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 10:55
iam not trolling , i am telling the raw truth . if you people believe mclaren have such an amazing chassis. why cant you say openly that mclaren will beat redbull in the constructor title next year end. You cant because inside you know that mclaren is NEVER an efficient chassis as redbull.
i also posted a link few pages ago where mclaren intentionally ran heavy downforce in brazil and it was reported by honda engineers to reporter . and some of you came and said its a japanese article so he is biased towards honda. so do you expect me to believe a british guy saying honda lacks so much bhp. yeah right!!. no wonder mr brundle guy is praising the british team mclaren. NO SUPRISE. i wonder what he will say when mclaren are behind redbull next season. I guess he might say renault engine in redbull is little bit more powerfull.
Newsflash: Why should they be infront of Redbull. Who is saying they will be infront of Redbull? Only you are the one who is singing the same song over and over again. The fact is that the chasis is good enough to compensate for lack of power, noone compares it to Redbulls.THEY DONT NEED TO BE INFRONT OF REDBULL, THEY NEED TO BE ABLE TO COLLECT POINTS REGURARLY WHICH WITH HONDA IS AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK. THEY CHOOSED RENAULT BECAUSE THEY KNEW THEY WILL BE ABLE TO COLLECT MORE THAN 100 POINTS PER SEASON AND THAT IS WHAT THEIR SHAREHOLDERS DEMANDED. HONDA FAILED 3 YEARS IN A ROW AND BOTH THE TEAM AND SHAREHOLDERS HAD ENOUGH OF IT. NOW THAT IS A FACT. U ONLY USE REDBULL EXCUSE SO U WILL HAVE SOMETHING FOR "I TOLD U SO" AFTER STR WILL GET THE PAIN OF HONDA AND EVERYBODY WILL MOCK U, BUT U WILL STILL HAVE THE REDBULL AND "I TOLD U SO". U ARE ONLY USING THE REDBULL AS A FAILSAFE.

What they need are points and solid spot in the top 5 teams until 2021 - so far another impossible task with Honda.

And i bet they tuned their drag up to 11 in Brazil just to trash Honda, so they masked 1200bhp the engine has...

All i can say its just great that today is the last day of the pain of last 3 years. Fact of the matter is that the engine and attitude must have been seriously disastrous that the team decided it is not worth of 100mil and a free contract of supply.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

OviJohn
OviJohn

techman wrote:
Sorry Mr techman/F1AutoFan (Your old Autsport forum nick w/e) ; but as you say, if it is your truth we have to believe or trust against a so called biased Brundle, or Scarbs, and so many other pundits that seem to give credit to Mclarens aero developments...you will understand the lack of support.

Whats really sad is that categorically stating that an aero department, lead by no other than one of Adrian Newey closest man, will never be a match for RBR. Considering, that despite Honda failings during most of the seasons tests, the chassis has proven to be close to the top three teams. Regrettably, we cant claim the same thing for Honda.

Also, RBR should be ahead of Mclaren (Chassis-wise) during the first half of the season. You wont see anyone getting into that particular debate, not with you or anyone else; but it has nothing to do with Mclaren capabilities or lack of, as it should be pretty obvious that RBR having been a long partner of Renault, would have an edge of optimizing the PU to better suit their package. Thats why, the logical comparisson should be if Mclaren chassis is "sooo bad" and TR not too shabby or even better (As you used to say last year); how far ahead will TR be of Mclaren with the better Honda PU? But of course, that comparission doesnt suit your agenda.

Tell you what, why dont you state how far behind must Mclaren be from RBR for "your truth" to be proven?+ 0.300, +0.500, +0.800 ...1 seg behind? By answering this question we´ll have a benchmark of this truth and not just a: "See, I told you RBR would be ahead of Mclaren..."
i also posted a link few pages ago where mclaren intentionally ran heavy downforce in brazil and it was reported by honda engineers to reporter. and some of you came and said its a japanese article so he is biased towards honda.
Yet why no other news outlet, has followed up on such relevant news?! Dont you think is rather strange or is Mclaren also able to control all F1 media? :roll:
so do you expect me to believe a british guy saying honda lacks so much bhp. yeah right!!. no wonder mr brundle guy is praising the british team mclaren. NO SUPRISE. i wonder what he will say when mclaren are behind redbull next season. I guess he might say renault engine in redbull is little bit more powerfull.
We dont expect you to believe anyone, but again, between you, forum poster extraordinaire versus a "british nobody" named Martin Brundle...want to bet where people will place trust? 8)
Last edited by OviJohn on 26 Nov 2017, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

techman wrote:
Brundle has been very scathing of McLaren. Not the actions of someone with bias.

Red Bull is based in Milton Keynes right? Do you know where Milton Keynes is?

You are aware that Brundle is clearly a massive Ferrari fan right, I mean it's obvious in minutes of listening to him (a point you seem to want to ignore).
Ferrari are based in Maranello right? Do you know where Maranello is?

Your British bias excuse doesn't work at all no matter how many times you recycle it.

So your reasoning for comments are based on an incorrect assumption of bias, that Honda couldn't possibly be trying to cover their own backsides in Brazil by making excuses and that Brundles info HAD to come from McLaren, it just had too!!! I mean nobody else of the grid would want to have info on relative ICE outputs. :lol:

Or maybe just maybe it isn't due to Brundles (non) bias, the info didn't come from McLaren and it's genuine (as is highly possible due to cars in the track).
This is the point. Nobody who is willing to look at it impartially can look at the numbers Brundle gave out and think 'well that can't be right due to car/engine performance'.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 26 Nov 2017, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

stevesingo
stevesingo

techman wrote:
It is only you arguing with yourself claiming everyone is saying McLaren will beat RBR in 2018. I don't recall anyone saying they will. Predicting 2018 relative performance accurately based on 2017 chassis with different PUs would be difficult to do. Based on the evidence of PU suppliers thus far, it is pretty safe to say that all else being equal, Renault have a better chance of producing a competitive PU in 2018 than Honda.

Brundle in the instance where the power deficits were mentioned, wasn't praising McLaren, he was reporting what he had been told.

Are you Danald Trump BTW?

Webber2011
Webber2011

Is there a minimum age limit when joining this Forum ?
If so what is it, if not why not ?

techman
techman

Brundle in the instance where the power deficits were mentioned, wasn't praising McLaren, he was reporting what he had been told.
oh yes he was told by mclaren people and mclaren propaganda machine :D . great. anway alonso reckons mclaren have best chassis and mclaren believe they can compete for wins. Let see. i cant wait for 2018 to see them with eggs on their faces.

McHonda
McHonda

techman wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 14:07
oh yes he was told by mclaren people and mclaren propaganda machine :D . great. anway alonso reckons mclaren have best chassis and mclaren believe they can compete for wins. Let see. i cant wait for 2018 to see them with eggs on their faces.
Repeating it ad nauseam doesn't make it any more true you know.

Alonso Fan

Wow look at how that McLaren turns on the tyres!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

techman wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 14:07
Oh dear. When you are resorting to just making stuff up it's clear you are either a troll or delusional you can decide which.

Joseki
Joseki

Let's hope it's true.