2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: 2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

HPD wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 22:24
I think Honda can push to get a veteran driver. Having two newbies I do not like the idea very much
Like Alonso?

HPD

NL_Fer wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 00:11
HPD wrote:
I think Honda can push to get a veteran driver. Having two newbies I do not like the idea very much
Like Alonso?
No! please no! :lol:
The return of Rosberg (?

Edit:
:!: Jenson Button:
- "I'm definitely going to do something next year for a full season"
- "Whether here, in America or elsewhere, I do not know yet, but the talks are under way"

Singabule
Singabule

Oh jenson please!

Starscreamer

I think the deal is Daniil out of the car for 2 races.
He will drive the car if Gasly can't drive for TR.
Next year line up Daniil & Gasly.
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

loner

NL_Fer wrote:
HPD wrote:
Like Alonso?
Alonso, extends deadline: end of October limits for his future

In Formula 1 the clearest choice is to continue in McLaren with the Renault engine, in fact was in Woking last week, although there is still some other option maybe surprising and risky.
https://as.com/motor/2017/09/27/formula ... 74884.html
:lol: :lol:
para bellum.

etusch

NL_Fer wrote:
HPD wrote:
Like Alonso?
hell no

HPD

Graham Wilson:
Now there will be additional work to do because we have changed the engine supplier for next season. There is a lot of information to give to the partner, both sides, to have an idea of ​​what they will need and what we will need. Everyone has different requirements, from equipment and hardware. I think Honda is one of the strongest manufacturers in the world. I worked with them for 7 years at BAR-Honda, so I know people like Hasegawa. He was head of the test team and I was a mechanical leader. So we've known each other for years. I know the Japanese people and their culture pretty well. They are very nice people and clearly in Honda are very motivated. They have something to prove even now. So they are pushing even more than before. For us, as a team, it's a big step. We have always been seen as a small customer team. We will have to push very strongly on us and on their part to achieve our goals.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/il-mi ... so-958139/

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

WaikeCU wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 13:38
NathanOlder wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 11:08
Gasly to race this weekend instead of Kvyat

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13203 ... lace-kvyat
I think Kvyat still is a great driver, but I think he's the kind of driver that needs a team to back him up and a team where he feels he's fully comfortable. Just look at his records in the past at Toro Rosso and Red Bull compared to his last 2 seasons, something has put a permanent scar on his abilities and that is the moment he got relegated from Red Bull. Doubt he'll overcome this setback. This is another scar on his confidence and abilities. For sure F1 is a hard world, but I wouldn't associate the word ethical with the brand Red Bull. Red Bull just wants to seize every moment to gain further exposure (=$$$). Normally teams wait it out till next season and not rush things, but Red Bull seems to think otherwise.

I believe we have seen the last of Daniil, sadly. Not many seats available anymore. Sauber or Williams, unless he brings a lot of $$$ to a team, then maybe he'll have a drive for next season, but at the moment, it doesn't look good at all.

To think Palmer still has his seat and Kvyat hasn't... what a cruel world it truly is.
Indeed. Gotta feel for Kvyat. Makes mistakes and gets demoted mid season. Then gets the nickname 'the torpedo' at the start of this season and now if thrown out.

From the start of him making mistakes he never got the support of his team. Sometimes drivers need to be wanted to get the best out if them.

Webber2011
Webber2011

He's always seemed a bit fragile mentally to me.

I like the guy, but when you reach F1 there's no more hiding your weaknesses.

godlameroso

This year's Toro Rosso is too draggy, and not enough downforce. I'm guessing their floor is not very good, they've focused too much on the front end and not enough on the rear. Hopefully next year they can fix that with Honda freeing up some budget for car development.
Saishū kōnā

aral
aral

It would be great id some of you could note the title of the thread. Discussing the merits or otherwise of Alonso, have nothing to do with STR . So, a number of your off topic posts have been removed. Please stay on topic.

HPD

Q: Franz, no team is likely to face more upheaval than Toro Rosso in 2018 - new drivers and a new engine (again)! Can we start with the power unit? Talk us through the events that led to the Toro Rosso-Honda deal…

Franz Tost: That is easy: the partnership with McLaren and Honda was a bit difficult in the past, as both parties has made public. We knew that McLaren wanted another partner, so we started negotiating with Honda and in the end we found an agreement for the next three years.

Q: Is it a done deal, the three years?

FT: Yes it is.

Q: McLaren definitely wanted to part with Honda for obvious reasons. Where do you see the beauty of your deal?

FT: The beauty is that we expect a successful cooperation with Honda, because otherwise we would not have done the deal. I am convinced that Honda will sort out all technical topics – and I am also convinced that the engine is already much better than many people think because McLaren is quite close to us – unfortunately – and sometimes even faster than us. So I am sure that this cooperation will be successful.

Q: McLaren’s racing director Eric Boullier said that he believes Honda will produce a successful power train in the future, but that he cannot wait that long. Can you?

FT: The question is about what time frame we are talking. I do expect that already next year Honda will come up with a competitive package.

Q: It has seemed in the last couple of races that Honda have caught up somewhat. Could it be that you will harvest the fruits of McLaren’s labour?

FT: If so, fine! (Laughs) Why not? We are open and flexible! And don’t forget, for Toro Rosso the co-operation with Honda means a 100 percent step forward. At Renault we are the third team and at Honda we are their only team, so we expect to get out a lot on the design side as well as from the cooperation. So once again: for us this deal means a big step forward.

Q: What about the gearbox situation? This was one of the reasons Sauber called off their planned Honda deal – because they didn’t want to get caught in a situation where McLaren no longer runs a Honda engine but would build the gearbox for a Honda customer?

FT: Ha, a clear plus on our side: we produce our own gearbox. Therefore it is totally easy for us. That is Toro Rosso – we are flexible!

Q: Could it be that Toro Rosso will be the ‘guinea pig’ next season ahead of a possible Red Bull Racing-Honda partnership in 2019?

FT: For that you have to speak with Red Bull Racing. We only know that we have a three-year contract.

Q: In recent seasons Toro Rosso have switched back and forth between an Italian engine supplier – Ferrari – and a French one – Renault. Now you are moving from a French one to a Japanese one. How do you cope with so many changes – both technical and cultural? Surely stability would be better?

FT: It shows first and foremost how flexible we are. We are used to this, so it’s easy for us. Nothing can shock us. Imagine, the last change from Ferrari to Renault was 10 months ago! (Laughs) But now it is Japanese in – and that will stay for the next three years. I also see the benefit of having a certain degree of stability, but that comes from within the team. [Technical director] James Key and his group of engineers are the source of stability and this is where we get our strength from. And we’ve shown that we are capable of fighting with teams that have much more stability than we ever had. With all the changes that we always have to cope with, we have always been in a position to finish the car in time for the first test – and that is paramount. But then again, it is not a ‘must’ to change during the season. (Laughs) Regarding our new Japanese partners, the good news is that I have lived in Japan for a year so I am aware of the difficulties that might arise in communication and we are already working on this matter.

Q: We have learned that Carlos Sainz is moving to Renault next year, so there is at least one seat available at Toro Rosso for 2018 – maybe even both…

FT: That is absolutely correct. We don’t know yet. That is why Red Bull decided to run Pierre Gasly, to see where his real performance is. After we get a picture of this Red Bull will decide.

Q: Will Daniil Kvyat ever come back?

FT: It is all open. He is still a Red Bull driver and has a valid contract.

Q: You were also running Sean Gelael today and on some other Grand Prix Fridays…

FT: Yes, Sean is driving on certain occasions for us. All in all he will do four FP1 sessions this year: that was Singapore, here, in Austin and Mexico – and he will do one test day in Abu Dhabi. But he will definitely race Formula 2 next season. Then we will see for 2019.

Q: So it will be Daniil and Pierre for 2018? There is nobody else from your junior programme who would qualify – and Red Bull never took drivers that are not part of the Red Bull family…

FT: Yes, there is nobody else from our junior programme. But let’s see.

Q: Finally, as team principal, if you could make one wish what would it be?

FT: That we still finish in P5 in the constructors’ championship. Yes, we are struggling as the second car has only scored four points, but nevertheless this is the target.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/inte ... eturn.html

HPD

Pierre Gasly:
"I think today was positive and I'm happy – your first qualifying in Formula 1 is always a special moment and one I was really looking forward to! I tried to give my best and I think we made really good progress between FP3 and Qualifying. I felt comfortable in the car in Q1 and then, in Q2, I kept on learning while giving my all and I'd say we can be satisfied with the result! I now look forward to tomorrow, my first Formula 1 race and something I've been dreaming of since I was very young...! I expect it to be a really good experience and I hope to keep improving tomorrow as well. You never know what can happen with the weather here so, if the rain and tricky conditions do appear, I will welcome it as I felt confident in the wet in FP1 on Friday and I'm sure it will make it all even more exciting!"

James Key (Technical Director):
"A disappointing day today after only qualifying in P14 and P15. Even if we had brought some updates here, we certainly haven't been quick enough at this track – I think there wasn't much more to come from the car and I hope that our race pace will be a bit quicker than in today's Quali, which is normally the case. We've now got some ground to make up; we'll go back to the factory and understand why we are where we are at this particular track, but there are certain elements of this circuit that perhaps don't suit some of the characteristics of our car particularly well. Having said that, it was a good effort from both drivers – they got probably as much out of it as they could. Pierre has been really good all weekend. He's had very little time to prepare, completed very few laps, and to be just a few tenths behind his teammate is a really excellent performance from him in his first ever Qualifying. This is definitely a positive that we've taken from today. We now need to knuckle down for tomorrow and think about how we can limit the damage and try and move forwards."

loner

bigblue wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 01:03
Marko to visit Honda HQ after Malaysia (at grandprix.com)
"Honda will increase its F1 budget by 50 per cent for 2018," he said. "It is the funds freed up by the McLaren sponsorship."
STR-Honda to be Honda Racing F1 .. any one ?!!
para bellum.

godlameroso

That's roughly €300 million per year Honda has been throwing at f1 power units alone. If the driver salaries ~€50 million, and cash injection of €100 million means a 50% increase then 100% would be double that. On the plus side it means that Honda can upgrade faster now.

The top teams have budgets of between 250 and 400 million euros per year, I wonder how much they spend on the development of the power units.
Saishū kōnā