6-stroke engines

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Ciro Pabón

@NickT: I think you are confusing Ciro Pabon and Ciro Pabón... :)

Sorry, mates (Nick and NickT), never again.

I agree with your 4 cycle-observation on the 6-cycle engine MC posted. I spent 15 minutes trying to understand if the piston moved 4 or 6 times. It seems as if the article says that the TDC and BDC at ignition/combustion can be prolonged because you can make a flatter "cam" but I fail to see if this is an extra-stroke of the piston. Please, take me out of my misery: is NickT ok?

@Manchild: Thanks, man. You rules. I have to confess that much of the fun I find around here comes of your wonderful posts.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 03 May 2006, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

NickT

Ciro Pabón wrote:@NickT: I think you are confusing Ciro Pabon and Ciro Pabón... :)
Touché :roll:

Nice one Ciro Pabón :D
NickT

Ciro Pabón

Lame joke of mine to try to compensate. Sorry, again.

Seriously: is MC a 4 or 6 stroke engine or what? As we say in Spain: "nor white, nor black but the complete opposite"?
Ciro

zac510
zac510

joseff wrote:NickT: IIRC there was a Toyota Corolla back in the 80's with supercharger and turbocharger.
You msut be thinking of the Nissan Micra.

The Corolla with the super and turbo was a supercharged Corolla with an aftermarket turbo kit.

NickT

Ciro Pabón wrote:I agree with your 4 cycle-observation on the 6-cycle engine MC posted. I spent 15 minutes trying to understand if the piston moved 4 or 6 times. It seems as if the article says that the TDC and BDC at ignition/combustion can be prolonged because you can make a flatter "cam" but I fail to see if this is an extra-stroke of the piston. Please, take me out of my misery: is NickT ok?
I am almost certain it is a four stoke, if you look closely

Their strokes 1 + 2 = Otto stroke 1
Their strokes 3 + 4 = Otto stroke 2
Their stroke 5 = Otto stroke 3
Their stroke 6 = Otto stroke 4

What makes it different is the ability the designer has to phase the timing and duration (volume) of each part of the stroke, rather like variable cam timing. Like RH1300S I am not sure what would happen at higher revs to the piston though, but I am sure they have some way of stopping it from floating.
NickT

joseff

zac510: You're right, apparently it was a turbo kit for the 4AGZE supercharged Toyota engine.