Porsche RS Spyder without the bodywork

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
zac510
zac510

Porsche RS Spyder without the bodywork

I was poking around on another site I use and found a couple of photos of the Porsche RS Spyder (their new LMP car) minus bodywork.

As expected, it is remarkably similar to an F1 car:

A high nose to provide space for the front diffuser to work.
Angled radiators flank the cockpit.
Chassis is tall around the driver's head for crash protection.

Exhaust is different - exiting fore of the rear wheel, but I believe some LMP teams are starting to switch to top exit exhausts like F1.
Gearbox is compact and tight, close to COG even though there is bodywork covering this area.
Rear wing mounted to rear crash structure which is in turn mounted to the gearbox.

zac510
zac510

Here it is with bodywork on:

manchild
manchild

Copycats! :evil:

:lol:

NickT

:lol: :lol: :lol: ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
NickT

Tom

I think thats an LMP2 car. These are undoubtably fun but not quite the real LMP1 Le Mans Pukkas. My home designed LMP1 is coming on well. I managed to test the steering on my crappy CAD and luckily it just misses the bodywork.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

zac510
zac510

Thanks for bringing a semblance of seriousness back to this thread.

Yes it is an LMP2 car but I thought it was interesting to see how similar it is under the skin.

Mostly the same engineering principles apply between the two different types of vehicles.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Tom wrote:I think thats an LMP2 car. These are undoubtably fun but not quite the real LMP1 Le Mans Pukkas. My home designed LMP1 is coming on well. I managed to test the steering on my crappy CAD and luckily it just misses the bodywork.
I wouldn't quite say that, this Porsche has been setting laptime thats close to the LMP1 and faster than the old LMP900s ever since its debut last year at Laguna Seca. The car is a little fragile at the moment but its blazingly fast....

Interesting trend is emerging though, Audi R10 followed its sister Bentley's route on going with torsion bar spring(like F1) to get rid of spring hysterisis issue. This Porsche is also on torsion bar.....I saw a pic a while back of the RS Spyder's rear arrangement and its not unlike a modern F1 car....

Tom

Which is better, closed or open car? I would have thought the closed (like the Mazdas and Jags) would have more aero advantage but open (Audis and Pescarolo) seem to be the only type in the series at a competitive level.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Technically, a closed car can provide a stiffer chassis. But there are advantages and disadvantages to each type. An open cockpit car has better visibility, less driver heat and humidity issues, and changing drivers is easier.
As well, some systems can be accessed directly in the cockpit of an open car, which makes pit stops and minor servicing easier and quicker.

Scuderia_Russ

Tom wrote:Which is better, closed or open car?
Probably a case of weight versus aero.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

NickT

They used to have different tyres to with the open cars getting more rubber, not sure of the current regulations as I have been away from it for a while :cry:

Its all swings and roundabouts :?
NickT

zac510
zac510

I would say the addition of the new rules about cockpit temperatures have swayed the favour towards open cars.

In the past the weights and so forth were different but now they are the same for all LMP1.

Tom

RacingManiac said:
I wouldn't quite say that, this Porsche has been setting laptime thats close to the LMP1 and faster than the old LMP900s ever since its debut last year at Laguna Seca. The car is a little fragile at the moment but its blazingly fast
I didn't believe you at first but after seeing the latest ALMS race highlights on MotorsTV and reading Autosport I have to congratulate Porsche for not only taking an LMP2 (the second class) car to overall victory, from the back of the grid, with the sister car 1/2s behind but also beating the Audi R8 (LMP1s) of McNish.

Well done Porsche!

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Credits still to Audi for they are already running overweight, and underpower and still managed to be the best of the rest.....R8 is just an amazing piece....