2017 F1 general testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: 2017 F1 Pre-season testing February 27 - March 2/ March 7-10

YES! go faster and faster
Last edited by FrukostScones on 27 Feb 2017, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

Vettel out in front now - 1:22.791.

Lap times tumbling. And we're only in the first day!

iotar__

bonjon1979 wrote:These cars are already setting times close to last years pole time on 15+ lap runs on a green track. They are going to be absolutely blitzing last years times this season. I feel like they're going to be close to the fastest cars ever.
A. Yeah we knew that
B. So what? It's a racing series, cars and drivers compete against each other. That's the interesting part. Putting more DF was always trivial, the reasons not to obvious.
C. There'll be time to address it (if when) but you must know how one stop races look like.

Why can't they close the third wing loophole? Are they waiting for T blade of death (TM) slashing someone's throat in a collision :shock: ?

mwillems

It is one problem, not indicative of terrible traumas ahead, yet.

This is the third year of running for Honda, but not this engine. Almost everything about it is new, including how it will hold together and how it will integrate with the McLaren package. They are in a bad position, hamstrung by tokens and now finally being able to get creative. So really this is year one, give them some time. We don't even know what the issue is yet, for all we know it is a sensor giving faulty readings. Yet many are absolutely slating Honda from the start and predicting an awful season.

Let's get some perspective.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

skoop
skoop

Am I the only one having trouble with Autosports live ticker? It just wont load

Santozini
Santozini

KR's 1:22.765 was the best lap of last year's winter test. Anyone know with which compound?

SV just did 1:22.791 on Mediums 8)

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

skoop wrote:Am I the only one having trouble with Autosports live ticker? It just wont load
F1today seems much smoother.
http://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/22267 ... st-of-2017

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Goran2812 wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
Goran2812 wrote: That's exactly what I was thinking... They blabbered on and on how the engines are on dynos 24/7 and than after an hour of not even serious running they have teething problems... So amateurish from them...
You can run a PU on a dyno 24/7, but once you subject it to being packaged inside an F1 car and then
expose it to the lumps and bumps of a track then you may find issues. Tbh I think we've all become a little too accustomed
to F1 cars being almost bullet proof in terms of reliability. Amateurish ? That's a cheapshot and doesn't take into account that this is an entirely new concept from Honda and that teething issues should be expected, just McLaren's luck it happens to be an oil system issue. As I said better to have this happen on Day One of testing, then near the tail end. I'm sure McLaren and Honda will get the issue sorted and likely reduce the amount of time it takes to remove and replace the PU as the season progresses. I also expect that this isn't the final design specification for the Power Unit that will be used down under.
let's just say that I don't agree with everything you wrote... aren't there dynos that simulate car packaging and road bumps? I know teams use it... for this to happen, seems like McHonda does not use a system like that... sigh...
You really should get it going from day one, it's good for data, morale, and everyone... shame they have to waste time on problems like these...
No Dyno can simulate every possible problem you might encounter when you roll out of the pits and onto the rack track, where real world physics takes over. It's called testing for a reason, better they have these issues now rather than at the first couple of races, given they can lose valuable track time and points. That's what would really hit morale at McLaren. Not pre season testing gremlins, that makes people leap to conclusions based on what's happened in the past 2 years and not giving Honda the benefit of the doubt. The Proof is in the pudding and we'll only find out what that pudding is like once the season is under way.

Santozini
Santozini

skoop wrote:Am I the only one having trouble with Autosports live ticker? It just wont load
I'm using http://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/22267 ... st-of-2017

I find the the best of all links shared here today.

Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

Working ok over here. Try clearing your temp internet files / cache.
mwillems wrote:It is one problem, not indicative of terrible traumas ahead, yet.

This is the third year of running for Honda, but not this engine. Almost everything about it is new, including how it will hold together and how it will integrate with the McLaren package. They are in a bad position, hamstrung by tokens and now finally being able to get creative. So really this is year one, give them some time. We don't even know what the issue is yet, for all we know it is a sensor giving faulty readings. Yet many are absolutely slating Honda from the start and predicting an awful season.

Let's get some perspective.
Goddamn right. It's a completely new PU. There will be problems. Catching one on the first day was almost inevitable, and it's better that they catch it now than further on in testing. Hopefully when they roll back on track later on it'll hold up.

Webber2011
Webber2011

From Ben Anderson.
Red Bull sensor issue requires the gearbox to be removed

Logie
Logie

Didnt MCL do 100km on there filming day on the weekend?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Goran2812 wrote: let's just say that I don't agree with everything you wrote... aren't there dynos that simulate car packaging and road bumps? I know teams use it... for this to happen, seems like McHonda does not use a system like that... sigh...
You really should get it going from day one, it's good for data, morale, and everyone... shame they have to waste time on problems like these...

That's why they go testing. I seem to recall those Mercedes motors having a few issues even towards the end of the year during a race last year :wink:
And no, no dyno in the world correctly simulates loadings and forces of the car on track, if it did they wouldn't need testing.

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

If the top speeds reported at f1.today are accurate we are about to see massive times. Vettel is doing 1.22,791 at a top speed of 279.7km/h. That´s insane if you consider 2016 times ( all around 1.22 ) were with top speeds well above 330km/h.

So teams are setting serious times while coasting down the straights. I am curious where we will end up today, knowing that teams are not even thinking about going quick.

2017 might become very cool again =D>

mwillems

Logie wrote:Didnt MCL do 100km on there filming day on the weekend?
I'm not sure how much of the 100km they did, but you would assume they did the maximum.

It's potentially interesting that the issue arose immediately after the next start up, after the car had cooled properly (Sunday)and reheated today.
Last edited by mwillems on 27 Feb 2017, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.