2017 F1 general testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Santozini
Santozini

Re: 2017 F1 Pre-season testing February 27 - March 2/ March 7-10

From F1today live comments:

"Vettel teasing again...

The Ferrari man set the fastest sector one of the day on that lap, but was unable to convert the second and third sector into an improved lap time."

He's enjoying himself with this new car. So glad to see properly fast cars again in F1! :D :twisted:

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

These cars are already setting times close to last years pole time on 15+ lap runs on a green track. They are going to be absolutely blitzing last years times this season. I feel like they're going to be close to the fastest cars ever.

GoranF1
GoranF1

ncassi22 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Honda PU is out already but reports say return to track today unlikely at the moment.
Reports by whom. On motorsport.com they say they plan to be out again today.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... ue-877619/
I saw a pic of car whitout engine
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

HPD

The engine is out

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

skoop
skoop

Are there any reports on the noise? Are the cars still als quiet at last year?

Goran2812
Goran2812

taperoo2k wrote:
Goran2812 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote: How they didnt see this leak in their maaany hours of Dyno tests!!!
That's exactly what I was thinking... They blabbered on and on how the engines are on dynos 24/7 and than after an hour of not even serious running they have teething problems... So amateurish from them...
You can run a PU on a dyno 24/7, but once you subject it to being packaged inside an F1 car and then
expose it to the lumps and bumps of a track then you may find issues. Tbh I think we've all become a little too accustomed
to F1 cars being almost bullet proof in terms of reliability. Amateurish ? That's a cheapshot and doesn't take into account that this is an entirely new concept from Honda and that teething issues should be expected, just McLaren's luck it happens to be an oil system issue. As I said better to have this happen on Day One of testing, then near the tail end. I'm sure McLaren and Honda will get the issue sorted and likely reduce the amount of time it takes to remove and replace the PU as the season progresses. I also expect that this isn't the final design specification for the Power Unit that will be used down under.
let's just say that I don't agree with everything you wrote... aren't there dynos that simulate car packaging and road bumps? I know teams use it... for this to happen, seems like McHonda does not use a system like that... sigh...
You really should get it going from day one, it's good for data, morale, and everyone... shame they have to waste time on problems like these...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Shakeman

bonjon1979 wrote:These cars are already setting times close to last years pole time on 15+ lap runs on a green track. They are going to be absolutely blitzing last years times this season. I feel like they're going to be close to the fastest cars ever.
Costa did predict this season's cars to be exactly that, the fastest F1 cars ever.

The big unknown are going to be the tyres. No point being the fastest cars ever on one flying lap if the deg is too high.

I miss that wonderful F1 Testing website that carried all the stint times and lap times where you could see the actual deg of the tyres. A real shame that came to an end.

Webber2011
Webber2011

You can run a PU on a dyno for as many years as it took Noah to build his boat, but you will never find out what's going to happen to it under high G force.
Sensors, oil pumps, and all sorts of things react differently once they are subjected to these loads.

I'm seeing some impressive running by the Merc's for sure, and a couple of failures by other Teams.
But this is why testing is called "testing".

It's only day 1 ;)

HPD

From soymotor live:
"McLaren tells us that Alonso will roll again ... But after the break to eat. It is very unlikely that you will do it sooner."

http://directo.soymotor.com/

max_speed
max_speed

year by year honda does that again. they make themselves look like a below par car workshop. humiliation is just too much to handle. this year gonna be same story like last year.

turbof1

My god, it's like I am trading at the Dow Jones stock market with all of this Honda speculating and negativity.

You can't make breakfast without scrambling a few eggs, ladies and gentlemen.
#AeroFrodo

Godius

Red Bull is probably aiming to complete 13 laps today.

ncassi22
ncassi22

I follow him too, but he is just speculating. Only Mclaren know what their plans are and whether they'll be out or not again. It's very early and unless they have no spare engines or the problem is endemic there's no reason to waste valuable testing time by not going out later. Engine was out by 12-sih. On race weekends it takes them 2 hours to swap. That still leaves them a few hours of possible running.