Honda Air Intake Wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
m3_lover

Honda Air Intake Wing

After looking at this picture, there wing on top of the air intake is curved inwards instead of being straight. I know this will direct the airflow to a specific spot usually the rear wing, but wouldn't this cause more drag as it is curved? Could this cause more lift as this is the exact opposite shape of a downforce producing device?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Jason

This wing was already on the Hondas' in Imola 2 weeks ago.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Tp
Tp

Probably just helps control the airflow around this section better than their previous design (all I can think of)

Steven
Owner

This one's very hard to explain I think, and probably just showed that little bit of advantage in the windtunnel after some experimentation.

I for one cannot explain that just by looking at it here ;)

However it may be that the wing's profile is not the same all over the width, so if we could clarify that we'd be able to comment some more on it.

zac510
zac510

I'm sure all of you noticed Super Aguri's broken mid-wing in yesterday's race.
The thing that struck me about that is that it instantly stood tall or was pushed over to the opposite side.

It was hard to tell very conclusively but it made it appear that the air was pushing upwards around the airbox at this point, not ideal desired by the rear wing.

johny

yes i noticed but i don't find it strange, after get broken it was just linked to the car by the upper part so going down was imposible, the only way the wing could move was upwards

Encelado
Encelado

It is not strange simply because Aguris have intake wings curved downwards (i.e. they produce lift). Probably to increase the angle of attack of the flow on the rear wings?
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically." A. Einstein

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

perhaps the SA's just want to make things harder for them. They're on a character-building season, you know...

King of Spades

I can't quite see from the picture what you're referring to. :?

Is it the anhedral of that airbox wing that you are talking about, or is it that its aerofoil section is lift-producing (as opposed to downforce-producing)?
3rd year student, reading Aeronautical Engineering to Masters level at Loughborough University, UK.

A proud Maxthon user since 02-Oct-2005

מלך של עלהים

rsfocus
rsfocus

also with the hondas was the new sides on the top of tub, infront of the cockpit. you could see it from the onboard shots clearly...

rsfocus
rsfocus

:oops: :oops: just saw the other thread with this in it :oops: :oops:

Sodder
Sodder

rsfocus wrote:also with the hondas was the new sides on the top of tub, infront of the cockpit. you could see it from the onboard shots clearly...
The gills were a new addition two weeks ago at Imola.
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l