Flip-Up

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
m3_lover

Flip-Up

I checked out the Honda Racer and they dont have this. But on the Super Aguri

If you noticed on the chimmney they have a attached flip up to it, Im guessing it help's moving the airflow to the rear wing? Also would this help to move the hot air flow to the rear wing of the car?

Sorry for all these questions with pictures, But I find so many differences to the cars, I hope you guys dont mind this? If you think it seems like post whoring tell me and I will stop :)
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

I'd say that it is there for downforce rather than for serving rear wing.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The disctinction between the sidepod flipup and chimney is blurring. For instance, on the Ferrari they are physically joined. Toyota takes it even further, and has the flipup attached to the rear of the chimney.
If you want to improve the extraction of hot air via the chimney, either make it wider (thicker), or cut the back lower than the front, to make it a low air pressure zone, without more drag penalty. That lip on the SA would actually place a high pressure zone at the rear of the chimney, and probably hinders air extraction. It's there for downforce or aero management, not chimney extraction efficiency.

zac510
zac510

I sortof agree with Dave in that it certainly isn't for downforce - there just isn't any significant surface area to coontribute a significant percentage of downforce!

I imagine it could possibly create a vortex which subsequently may assist the extraction of air from the chimney.

King of Spades

The way I'm looking at it, it appears to be a strake. The vortex that it is [probably] creating induces upwash inboard (i.e. at the chimney, aiding hot air extraction) and downwash outboard.
3rd year student, reading Aeronautical Engineering to Masters level at Loughborough University, UK.

A proud Maxthon user since 02-Oct-2005

מלך של עלהים

Tp
Tp

I think the flip-up, attached to the chimneys, increases the aerodynamic efficiency of the winglets just behind it, I pretty sure it isn't there to improve the hot air extraction as Dave pointed out

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Examine the strake. It definitely directs the air upwards, on the last third of the chimney. That part would be high pressure, even though the direction was upward. In my belief, they pretty well cancel each other out as far as increasing the efficiency of chimney extraction. More than anything else, it redirects some air, which would usually directly impact on the flip-ups.
This is a forum, with many participants. I believe in freedom of speech. No one is perfect, I'm sure some of, heck, maybe a large percentage of my posts could be off the mark. So what? We post our personal observations and make our own personal opinions. If we're right, we're right. If we're wrong, we're wrong. I'm not afraid of posting my opinions, and none else should feel so. Being proven wrong by facts is one thing, to be dissed and personally attacked is another. Children, let's all please try to play nice.

Sodder
Sodder

A little off topic but is that Frank driving? I dont recognize the helmet. The only time that he was shown during the race today was when he was arguing with the stewards, and he had his helmet off.
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

Ciro Pabón

Yes, it seems. Or he is somebody that borrowed his car for a while... like Ide. :wink:

Ciro

Sodder
Sodder

Pretty unbelieveable how dumb I can be sometimes. Sorry to bother you. (I really cannot believe that I just posted that) :oops:

Back on the topic of aero for the old Arrows. Has anyone else noticed how thick the tops of the side pods appear when the car is viewed from the front? During practice for the European GP they kept showing the Aguri bumbling down the straights. Man it looks "heavy"...
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

Jason

It allows cleaner airflow to the rear wing, but the thing that makes me think of downforce in the air hitting the rear wing. When it hits the rear wing, means that the air is used to get some downforce, very small percentage of downforce. If the Super Aguris have slits on the middle part of the rear wing, means the air sent from the flip up it sent through the slit. Meaning no downforce is generated and this shows that the flip up is to get cleaner airflow thorugh the rear wing.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

johny

i'm with dave, it couldn't be for downforce proposals since is so thick and not so wing shaped. also with the flip up just behind it shouldn't redirect that air into the rear wing. The only thing i could think is for cooling optimisation since the chimeneys are so narrow

Jason

johny wrote:the chimeneys are so narrow
I don't see your point that the chimney is narrow, it's only the side view.

zac510
zac510

Jason wrote:It allows cleaner airflow to the rear wing, but the thing that makes me think of downforce in the air hitting the rear wing. When it hits the rear wing, means that the air is used to get some downforce, very small percentage of downforce. If the Super Aguris have slits on the middle part of the rear wing, means the air sent from the flip up it sent through the slit. Meaning no downforce is generated and this shows that the flip up is to get cleaner airflow thorugh the rear wing.
Seriously Jason, please do some research on aerodynamics before you start posting 'gospel'. Buy a book or something, please. You will learn a lot more than trying to interpret real life examples with no data.

I think it would be unlikely that the vortex, if it generates a vortex, would persist to reach the rear wing.

Jason

DaveKillens wrote:If we're right, we're right. If we're wrong, we're wrong. I'm not afraid of posting my opinions
Don't you understand what Dave said?..... :?