Should McLaren return to Mercedes?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gaz.
Gaz.

Re: Should McLaren return to Mercedes?

etusch wrote:Can mclaren use merc engine at Melbourne. İf you can say yes then thinking about engine supplier change, and telkini about it make sense. Otherwise nonesense
Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it in the rules that there are common mounting points for the engine, and that the crank has to be in the same location for all power trains? If this is the case then it isn't putting a square peg in a round hole, the biggest stumbling blocks would be if Mercedes had built enough engines to support another customer at short notice, and Mclaren's ability to pay for the Mercedes engines. Obviously this is grossly oversimplified.
Forza Jules

Raleigh
Raleigh

Radical engine changes have been done in the past on as little notice, after all Brawn bolted a replacement Mercedes engine into a car designed for the Honda and went on to win both titles.

Not to say that the Mercedes engine would make McLaren title challengers, but they really cannot do worse at this point, entering a 3rd year of unreliable and underpowered Honda engines.

Quantum

I believe the split between Mercedes and McLaren was also to do with Mercedes not happy supplying a road car rival.
Things have not changed here, and Mercedes would likely only supply if forced to. Renault or Ferrari 2015 units far more likely avenues should McLaren want to severe ties with Honda.
I feel they should tough it out with Honda, character building if anything else.
"Interplay of triads"

hemichromis
hemichromis

This year it would be crazy to do so.

In future? Only if Mercedes became a PU supplier only.

EvilPhil II
EvilPhil II

In 1993 McLaren came very very close to signing with Renault only to be blocked my Williams.

RS200E

Not Mercedes, that will never happen. McLaren will tough it out with Honda as there seems to be no other option. Apart from BMW making a road car with McLaren there's no other rumours or indication that any other manufacturers are interested, is there?
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

7ka

Yes Yes Yes! Mclaren with Mercedes engine =D>

mclaren111

No No No! Mclaren can't be a customer team [-o<

JonoNic

Stick with Honda. Some might bite my head off for saying this, but Honda started bad (very bad) before then improved during the recent seasons. This time there's no token system so they can improve much earlier. Nothing technical to back my statement, but there is still a hope. Maybe Honda should turn the wick up on this engine (Friday), let the McLaren fly and bust the engine. That way the McLaren chassis can be stretched.

An off the topic idea. Let the teams test for 3 or 4 days after the last calendar race. Then teams have data on their new engine ideas before going on that forced holiday break.
Always find the gap then use it.

Reckoner
Reckoner

Very interesting replies.

1. McLaren buy Manor as a small sister team.
2. McLaren switch to Mercedes
3. They run the Honda PU in the Manor/Sister team to help develop drivers and PU
4. When Honda have finally caught up, McLaren take Honda back into their chassis

Just an Idea?

matt21

mclaren111 wrote:
Sevach wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:Do they have resources to produce a PU themselves? Their roadcars all have Mclaren build PU's. So can't they make it themselves?
Mclaren doesn't build engines in Woking, they order it from Ricardo(think Cosworth).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_M838T_engine
McLaren bought Ricardo some time ago.
Even if it is a little bit off topic:

You are sure McLaren bought Ricardo?
I always thaught they are an independent automotive supplier.
http://www.ricardo.com/en-GB/Investors/ ... reholders/

McLaren has bought the rights of the engine design which is basically the Nissan VRH engine.

Off-topic 2:
EvilPhil II wrote:In 1993 McLaren came very very close to signing with Renault only to be blocked my Williams.
Never heard of. Do you have any sources. Thanks a lot.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I can confirm, i can't link up any source right now, but 100% guaranteed that was on the table.
They had to opt for Peugeot instead, which was a disaster, which then lead them to a fruitful relationship with Mercedes.

the issue we are dealing here with is that Mclaren is running out of - precious - time. They're sinking deeper and deeper into the abyss,
and it's due to something they can't control; the engine, which they don't build themselves. So they're dependent of Honda, and it's clear
to everybody that Honda has underestimated right about everything. Reliability was the biggest problem at the re-entry of Honda in F1,
even before the season started, and now they have a new pu, and it's history repeating itself.

Mclaren had some errors before which cost them their star driver Hamilton, but i do believe that has been fixed by now and they have
a decent chassis and have upped their game. Unfortunately, it's to no prevail with what's going on with Honda.

The biggest issue is that Alonso, another star driver, whom moved from Ferrari to aim for the WDC with Mclaren in let's say 2 years time,
is suffering groundhog day with Mclaren's current state. Alonso is not the issue, any man on his level that had that extreme accident last year
and wants to race the next GP with broken ribs is a man that is dedicated and focused on his goal, but Honda is seemingly not having that same
drive. It's really blocking him, and the whole team, to such extent that we might even see Alonso just having enough of it and stepping out.
Which is a shame in multiple ways;

Alonso could have been riding that sweet Mercedes this year, and fight for the WDC. I'm still stunned he didn't move.
If Alonso steps out, all hope is lost for the near future towards Mclaren and i don't think ANY top driver will have ANY interest going there.
We won't ever see Alonso's qualities again and only remember his last years as almost torture.
and finally, if Honda doesn't make fit, then the chances ANY other manufacturer is going to step into F1 in the next decade, are completely pulverised.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

Wait for 5pm(barcelona) for confirmation hasegawa-boiller.... #-o

RS200E

davidfroshanzen wrote:Wait for 5pm(barcelona) for confirmation hasegawa-boiller.... #-o
Press conference cancelled.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

From comercial point of view will be better if replace honda to merc ... if mclaren honda together in 2017 will be broke their merk(big name)